First Sketch

akainoa808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening,

I have been interested in the hobby for many years. It may be a year or two till I can officially jump in. But I like designing and figure why not. Attach photos are what I have come up with. I would really like to fit everything under the 4x2x2 tank. I have designed a few sumps but feel I have to do a couple more. It has to be smaller.

Some points:
I will have saltwater mixing and ato elsewhere. So, I don't need it in the sump area. (correct?)
The pumps are not attached to the manifold, and neither is the main drain to the filter roller.
-I am thinking I may have one pump go to the refugium and UV then to the tank. The other pump to the main manifold and tank.
Will the stand be strong enough? It is all 2x4 and plywood under the tank and sump.

-Kai

Tank 1.png Tank 2.png TANK 9.png Tank 3.png Tank 4.png Tank 5.png Tank 6.png tank 7.png tank 8.png

OP
OP
A

akainoa808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stand looks good from here.
Check out this recent post from @TangerineSpeedo
He had an interesting point about union positions on tanks. It struck a chord with me because I just moved a tank and he is correct about setting a tank flat (in a truck bed).
I am making the changes as we speak! That is really positive and a major headache saver. Thank you for sharing that!

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
awesome designs!! could go into more detail on your sump setup? is the "tank" on the left (looking from the front) a remote refugium? as it has the strainer up top.

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Get rid of the check valves in the returns. They don’t work in a saltwater setup because something will eventually grow on the seal surface and prevent them from closing properly no matter how often they are cleaned.

2) I would reconsider the pump placement because it will be very hard to access in the back like that, meaning you are less likely to clean it.

3) It doesn’t look like you can actually get to the gate valve on the drain from the front of the tank because the return pipe is in the way.

4) I’m not sure why you have the bottom both floating and inset from the legs. Seems much more complicated than needed.

OP
OP
A

akainoa808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought... with your design of the fuge separate I may just use one of the overflows directly into the fuge. That way you get the most nutrient processing possible.
Talking about using the secondary overflow pipe?

The only reason i didn't want to is catch all the bigger particular. Feel like it would lead to more cleaning of the ruge.

OP
OP
A

akainoa808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome designs!! could go into more detail on your sump setup? is the "tank" on the left (looking from the front) a remote refugium? as it has the strainer up top.
Yes that is the fuge on the left. Any pointers on it?

OP
OP
A

akainoa808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Get rid of the check valves in the returns. They don’t work in a saltwater setup because something will eventually grow on the seal surface and prevent them from closing properly no matter how often they are cleaned.

2) I would reconsider the pump placement because it will be very hard to access in the back like that, meaning you are less likely to clean it.

3) It doesn’t look like you can actually get to the gate valve on the drain from the front of the tank because the return pipe is in the way.

4) I’m not sure why you have the bottom both floating and inset from the legs. Seems much more complicated than needed.

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you click my build thread there are pics of the 2x4 stand I built for my 90g. Some visual reference may help.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Talking about using the secondary overflow pipe?

The only reason i didn't want to is catch all the bigger particular. Feel like it would lead to more cleaning of the ruge.
Yes, using the secondary. You should be able to have most of the big stuff down the main overflow. But you can always put a nylon mesh sock on the outlet of the refugium from your secondary overflow.

OP
OP
A

akainoa808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) is there anything you would recommend? I heard of drilling holes in the black return lines to break the siphon.

2) would switching the skimmer with the pump worm better?

3) you are right. I think I am going to make the stand a little taller. It is currently about 32". I am thinking about bumping it up to 48". Which should open up some space.

4)the bracing on the bottom is to keep the feet of the stand together and create a platform for the sump. I do have about 3" of space from the bottom brace to the floor. My thinking was that it would be easier to clean under the stand if I had too.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the raised base I feel is a good Idea. It will help with cleaning up the any spilled water that finds its way under the stand. Not sure if I am onboard with the no check valve thing. although I do not like the style you have chose. But what ever style you choose the must stay clean. But at any rate you should make it so the sump can handle the drain of DT water in an outage.

OP
OP
A

akainoa808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the raised base I feel is a good Idea. It will help with cleaning up the any spilled water that finds its way under the stand. Not sure if I am onboard with the no check valve thing. although I do not like the style you have chose. But what ever style you choose the must stay clean. But at any rate you should make it so the sump can handle the drain of DT water in an outage.
What valves would you recommend?

OP
OP
A

akainoa808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I correct that you are designing the stand to be 4 feet tall, and a 2 foot tall tank? So the top of the tank is going to be 6 feet high? That seems awfully high to me from a maintenance perspective.
The current tank stand is 3' so it would be 5 feet tall. I am thinking about making 6 ft which would be a eye level for me. My actual arm span is 28", so If I have to get a small step stool out I think I would be okay with that.

OP
OP
A

akainoa808

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, using the secondary. You should be able to have most of the big stuff down the main overflow. But you can always put a nylon mesh sock on the outlet of the refugium from your secondary overflow.
I agree with you about the secondary. Unfortunately, this tank will have to sustaine itself. I am gone from the house half the time for work.

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The current tank stand is 3' so it would be 5 feet tall. I am thinking about making 6 ft which would be a eye level for me. My actual arm span is 28", so If I have to get a small step stool out I think I would be okay with that.
So you are like 6'4"? And you have the arms of a T-rex? Sorry I am confused...

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 111 57.5%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 57 29.5%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 69 35.8%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 33 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 58 30.1%
Back