First SPS befuddlement

Drakonis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here is an interesting scenario for everyone. my 120 became over run by neo ann so i fired up a 75 to reboot the 120. rock from previous environment (from fuge tank with no sign of neo ann), same salt, same RODI source, same tank mates, same lighting etc. i have one SPS coral, a purple plasma acro, it was my dipping my toe into keeping SPS frag. in my 120 i struggled not to loose it, it browned, poor polyp extension, had a small growth branch bleaching i thought it was done for which befuddled me as my LPS were thriving (my blasto, my frogspawn) my zoas were happy, green star polyps happy, purple clove happy but nothing i did made that acro happy. now jump to 75 i took small frag of my purple clove as its area was infested with neo ann so i got about 3 polyps on an isolated frag plug to grow out and insure no neo ann came with, same with green star polyps, took decent chunk of blasto, whole frogspawn as it didnt have neo ann attatched, and as for the acro it had 3 main branches on it so i fragged it down to all 3 branches on seperate plugs. iodine dipped all frags and placed them in different areas going for shotgun tactic to try and get atleast one to snap back, did one on the bare bottom in open water, one up high on rock in flow from spray bar, one kinda half up the rock little less direct flow. i was determined atleast one was surviving but then last couple nights ive noticed something that leads back to the befuddling comment, ALL 3 are getting color back and have much improoved polyp extension. explination you say, i have none, but ill take it. is this one of those scenarios where reefers say what worked for one wont work for another scenario or am i missing something?

OP
OP
Drakonis

Drakonis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh and despite the neo anns best efforts i was maintaining alk, mag, and cal with dosing so i dont know that it was out competing anything.

Tahoe61

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am probably missing something but what is/are neo ann?

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
NA_zps7c4620ad.jpg

Neomeris Annulata

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back