First Tank Build 29 gal 20h display sump

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my first tank build. It started because I was wandering petco and saw some cool inverts that I wanted, so I thought 'maybe I'll look into a small SW tank, maybe 10 gallons to go on the table in my room'. I started my research online, and stopped in LFS where they had a 10 gal reef fully set up and ready to take home... for $800. I laughed and said that was crazy, who would pay that much for such a little set up? I'm not laughing now that I'm many hundreds deep in this hobby before stocking. I then learned that even a 10 gallon could weigh over 100 pounds and that wouldn't work for the furniture I wanted to put it on but got some second hand online anyway and quickly noticed how small it was. I thought well that's going to fill up real fast and what do you mean I can only have about two fish in there? I then moved on to think maybe I'll do a 20 long with a 10 gal sump because I read that the more water you had the easier it was to keep your numbers in check, and I figured if it was long that was more surface area for coral. Went to a local $1/gallon sale and noticed the 29 was the same footprint as 20l so I came home with that and a 10 for the sump. Less than a week later I exchanged the 10 for a 20h as my sump and started my build.

I wanted an open bottom stand so that I could put macro algae in the sump, and all of the stands on the market that are closed are not exactly my style, so I got a metal frame stand at petco for $40. Cut a piece of scrap wood to fit across the bottom to hold the sump and stuck everything on there. IMG_9517.JPG
I've done different PVC work before so I decided I'd be able to make my own overflow for way cheaper than buying an overflow box.
IMG_9516.JPG
I tested out the different lengths and did a dry fit and modified as necessary.
IMG_9533.JPG
I had found a local reefer looking to get rid of a bunch of rock and sand in his tank. I got 24 pounds of live rock, and probably 50+ pounds of sand. This was on top of the 6 dry and 2 live I had gotten from LFS, and a 20 pound bag of Caribsea sand. I filled up DT with water to keep DT live and kept it like this for a couple days while I made the sump and waited for it to dry.
IMG_9537.JPG
I have experience cutting glass from another project I just finished, and this was a breeze. First chamber is about 8in wide, I looked at the different skimmers in my price range and they all seemed to max out at a 7in footprint but I also figured worst thing could happen would be to just stick it in the middle chamber if needed. Last chamber is about 5in for my return pump.

After my sump was dry and ready to get filled with water I stuck it in there and was able to start on my rock work. Visually it was too much rock for DT, so some of it got moved to the sump.
IMG_9539.JPG IMG_9549.JPG
I'm still running 2 hob filters on it since I'm having some trouble with the plumbing. My siphon isn't quite keeping up with my pump so after a couple hours the return chamber gets too low and I need to unplug the pump to let the water level rise again. Sump also has a light coming in the mail shortly which is why it's so dark down there right now.

I'm getting a proper CUC in there soon that's in QT right now until I can figure out which native things are allowed to stay long term, there's some mud snails in there now retrieved from the bait bucket down the shore (New Jersey coast). There's also a couple small crabs also found hanging out in the bait bucket who are now down in the sump where they have been exiled until the next trip to the ocean since one is FULL of eggs. Other native CUC includes a hermit crab, and a couple grass/feeder shrimp, and a clam rescued from my dad's purchase at the seafood counter that's been hanging out in the bait bucket all year and has a new home nestled in the sand and seems very pleased to not be in somebody's dinner.

That's all for now, I'll update with the next steps. I'm going to be ordering an aqua lift pump for the siphon to find out if that's why the PVC is barely at a trickle most times, I'm going to get a skimmer as well and keep moving forward.

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats and welcome. That looks really nice. No sump on my 28. But already daydreaming of a 45 or 70 that will utilize one. Good luck! What’s your cuc consist of and how long has your cycle been? I see varying opinions on when to introduce the cuc

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
love it. I have a 29 gal aqueon with a DIY 10 gal sump (but hidden under the cabinet since it's a semi cryptic zone - ie unlit rock) took my a few weeks to dial in the diy plumbing. I still get a lot of gurgling as an overt the top siphon will never match the return flow exactly.

fwiw, I also have a cpr fuge pack with macro algae and some rubble rock to help keep that no3 and po4 in line as well as provide some food for the madarin.

keep us posted on your progress. it takes time to develop the micro life and the newer the tank, the greater any new additions will throw that balance out of whack.

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
B88CD394-F9A2-4B41-B774-BBA1272AEB9D.jpeg
Stabilized outside of a very low ammonia reading. Didn’t want to risk clowns as I’m still so new so picked up Molly’s again just to see how it goes. Added some bio, skimmer and ato arrived so in soon. I’ll test daily and see where I am at. If I spike again I now have a stable 10g to escape them to. Starting the cycle with fish results = made me sad. I like how the “cheap” mollies behave. They are fun to watch. Had I known how that was going to go off the bat I would of tried fishless atm. Anyways

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s your cuc consist of and how long has your cycle been? I see varying opinions on when to introduce the cuc
So my CUC from LFS is- a peppermint shrimp, 2 halloween hermit crabs, 2 turbo snails, and 7 sifting snails. I didn't want that many sifting snails but first time I went I purchased an empty snails without knowing, now I know to check before I leave the store, and they overcharged me so I got 2 more than the 5 I had wanted.
My native crew is maybe a dozen little mud snails, about the size of a big bumblebee snail, honestly they just look like mini sifting snails.

As for when to introduce them, I've been feeding the tank, and I started a cycle with a few killies (bait fish my dad brought home, they've since been released into the ocean to be free ;) )So I had some fish poop going right away, and I've been feeding the tank. Also all of the sand and rock that I got from a local reefer came straight from a tank with fish still in it. He had a 29 bio cube that had been running about 7 years, so most of the rock I have is 10+ years old, and the sand has had fish living with it for several years at least, so between that and dropping in some fish food and seaweed every once in a while I'm not too concerned.

I started a bit unconventionally with starting a 10 gallon to cycle before I got my 29 up because I needed to get the stand and clear out the space for it first, so I've had that water for... maybe close to 3 weeks. All the same filters, heaters, etc. And then the guy I got the rocks from told me that I probably wouldn't notice much cycle after I added his stuff to the tank since it's so well established. I'll update you with my numbers when I check tonight.

love it. I have a 29 gal aqueon with a DIY 10 gal sump (but hidden under the cabinet since it's a semi cryptic zone - ie unlit rock) took my a few weeks to dial in the diy plumbing. I still get a lot of gurgling as an overt the top siphon will never match the return flow exactly.

fwiw, I also have a cpr fuge pack with macro algae and some rubble rock to help keep that no3 and po4 in line as well as provide some food for the madarin.

keep us posted on your progress. it takes time to develop the micro life and the newer the tank, the greater any new additions will throw that balance out of whack.

What size plumbing and pump do you have? I'm wondering because I'm using 3/4 PVC and i'm having the opposite problem with my little 190gph pump being too much for the siphon.

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love the look of your shelf rock and substrate, especially towards the front, do you know what you used to get that look?
Live rock. Live sand + black sand. It’s changed some. I tried a few different scapes when I had the Molly’s in there. Haven’t settled on one yet but this was my fav

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my CUC from LFS is- a peppermint shrimp, 2 halloween hermit crabs, 2 turbo snails, and 7 sifting snails. I didn't want that many sifting snails but first time I went I purchased an empty snails without knowing, now I know to check before I leave the store, and they overcharged me so I got 2 more than the 5 I had wanted.
My native crew is maybe a dozen little mud snails, about the size of a big bumblebee snail, honestly they just look like mini sifting snails.

As for when to introduce them, I've been feeding the tank, and I started a cycle with a few killies (bait fish my dad brought home, they've since been released into the ocean to be free ;) )So I had some fish poop going right away, and I've been feeding the tank. Also all of the sand and rock that I got from a local reefer came straight from a tank with fish still in it. He had a 29 bio cube that had been running about 7 years, so most of the rock I have is 10+ years old, and the sand has had fish living with it for several years at least, so between that and dropping in some fish food and seaweed every once in a while I'm not too concerned.

I started a bit unconventionally with starting a 10 gallon to cycle before I got my 29 up because I needed to get the stand and clear out the space for it first, so I've had that water for... maybe close to 3 weeks. All the same filters, heaters, etc. And then the guy I got the rocks from told me that I probably wouldn't notice much cycle after I added his stuff to the tank since it's so well established. I'll update you with my numbers when I check tonight.

What size plumbing and pump do you have? I'm wondering because I'm using 3/4 PVC and i'm having the opposite problem with my little 190gph pump being too much for the siphon.
That is some old bio! Lucky!

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is some old bio! Lucky!
Very old, I got a bunch of old shells from sifting it out too which my hermit crab has been loving trying on. I've been considering a bag of black sand but since I have so much already I haven't gone through with it since the ratios would be off for my preference and I'd have way too much sand.

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very old, I got a bunch of old shells from sifting it out too which my hermit crab has been loving trying on. I've been considering a bag of black sand but since I have so much already I haven't gone through with it since the ratios would be off for my preference and I'd have way too much sand.
Could always suck some up? I’d give it a good raking to let whatever is left living in it float up and come down on what’s left? Not sure how that works tbh. I wanted a solid black top layer. But from adjusting a powerhead as I tried new scapes (flow to cave flow to overhang etc ) it’s mixed up. Kinda like the look now honestly

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could, but I got the rock and sand for so cheap that after that buying a bag of sand is a bit painful on the wallet, especially with all of the other costs. The tank frame and stand are black, it would probably be a lot of dark in my setup since the room is very dark around the tank as well. If I was buying all the sand to start then I'd probably do it, but since I have so much good stuff already it'll just have to wait for if I do any other builds ;) I saw the cookie jar nano tanks on nano reef and I love them but I need to be more experience first, and more time. I'm already trying to find ways to minimize maintenance time for when school starts. Went a bit off topic there haha sorry.

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could, but I got the rock and sand for so cheap that after that buying a bag of sand is a bit painful on the wallet, especially with all of the other costs. The tank frame and stand are black, it would probably be a lot of dark in my setup since the room is very dark around the tank as well. If I was buying all the sand to start then I'd probably do it, but since I have so much good stuff already it'll just have to wait for if I do any other builds ;) I saw the cookie jar nano tanks on nano reef and I love them but I need to be more experience first, and more time. I'm already trying to find ways to minimize maintenance time for when school starts. Went a bit off topic there haha sorry.
All good. I feel you on the cost angle lol.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update!
So my plumbing issues have been pretty much figured out. I added two ball valves to the siphon and return, I need to restrict the return, and with the aqua lift on the siphon it keeps up quite well. It's a got an occasional gurgle so I might tweak a bit here and there as my aquascaping, and filtration gets finalized.
I've got a diatom bloom going on right now which I'm happy about since it means I'm just one step closer.
I've now got a Curve 5 running in the sump, I just got it two days ago and it's already starting to pull out what I'm assuming is diatoms since there's not much other waste in the system with only a CUC, still playing with the water levels in that and I'm prepared to make an egg crate stand once I find a good height. I'm also going to be making an egg crate filter basket to stick in the sump where the siphon lets out so that I could put media in there since I really don't want to invest money in a reactor when I don't know if there's going a big need for it.

When I went to petco yesterday and they didn't have any of the background that I wanted, just plain blue/black and at that it was $2 a foot and I'd need 5 feet just for the DT and Sump, not including something to put up for the fish in QT so I broke out the paint at around midnight last night and experimented a bit. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep it just like that or tweak it a bit. I'm going to wait a bit and see how I like it since it's a pain to get behind that tank. I like how the rock work really pops now, but I'm not sure I'm going to stick with the exact design. The more research I'm doing about the fish species that I like the more I'm seeing things about some preferring a lot of rock work and I'm wondering if I have enough in there. I might consider getting some more but I don't want it to look too cluttered either.
IMG_0067.JPG IMG_0082.JPG
My GSPs are doing really well, at least in my eyes. And the paly I got with my live rock seems to be perking up a bit more.
IMG_0045.JPG
My dad brought home some empty shells, two hermit crabs, and some snails today along with some seaweed (ulva that's going to go in the fuge and DT) and right after I added some of the snails and seaweed I noticed a bunch of copepods on the walls of the tank. Broke out the handy Toys R Us microscope to confirm. Took a look at the sea water he brought it all home with and that's got some fun critters in there too so I'll be adding that to my tank, I'm going for as complete of a full eco system as possible so nothing's better than real sea water to get all that good stuff in there.

I also noticed some bubbles in my sand the other day and would love to encourage a DSP to help complete the nitrogen cycle so I picked up some more sand I'm going to make a DSB probably in the DT since the sump fuge area is shallow to begin with. Or maybe since the return pump needs to be several inches above the bottom of the tank due to the length of my PVC I'll put a DSB in there too and put the return pump on something since it's just hanging around right now.
That's all for now, this week I plan to finish up my CUC so I can restart my 76 days for a final time, with all this ocean stuff I just want to be extra careful before I go sticking any fish I'm paying money for in there.

NoWaiAma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks really good. I’m too new to comment on any of the specifics but it looks really good. I know many consider GSP a nuisance but it’s my first planned addition coral wise.

Good job man.

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This looks really good. I’m too new to comment on any of the specifics but it looks really good. I know many consider GSP a nuisance but it’s my first planned addition coral wise.

Good job man.
I've seen that too, yet LFS has a nice carpet of it maybe 6x10" that they're selling for $150, and a tiny little frag at the same place with maybe 4-6 little polyps is $10 smh. I know people who just throw that amount away so when you're ready to get yours make sure you check out any local reef groups near you, I've seen several posts on the reef forum for my area about people giving it away so for sure take a good look online before you go spending any money on it!

OP
OP
starypotter

starypotter

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update-
Went to Reef A Palooza yesterday and got some corals! I'm really excited for my first real coral purchases. I got 5 zoas, and a hammer torch. They're all tiny little frags except for the torch. I'm not sure which colorations of the zoas they are, once they're opening up a bit more in the tank I'll try to figure out how to take pictures to get their proper names. Why is it so hard to get a good picture with the blue lights on anyway. I also got my first fish! I got a pair of clownfish from my LFS's booth, I know they've got good practices and breed their own clowns and I couldn't help but notice that one of the main vendors there that had fish for sale weren't looking too hot.
I got two zoa frags and my clownfish from Absolutely Fish. And I got 3 zoa frags and my torch from the Aquarium Village/Credabel Coral Lab booth. I also ran in to Absolutely on the way home to pick up the food that they'd been feeding the clowns and left with a mangrove and cleaner shrimp as well.

I drip acclimated everything but the mangrove, and did a bayer dip on the corals. Triple rinsed and put them at the bottom of my tank. I had read that I should be sticking them in the sand, but my grass shrimp are noisy little buggers and knock over whatever they decide to inspect, and I have some pretty reckless hermit crabs too. I had some leftover egg crate from what I'm building in my sump so I decided to make a frag shelf in my tank, but all of the ones they sell online are so expensive for what they are. So I bought some magnets on amazon, and superglued them to the egg crate.

I definitely did NOT glue my fingers together. That isn't at all anything that happened while assembling this. Nope. Fingers all remained separate for the entire assembly.

I'm quite pleased with my little frag rack, the magnets are pretty weak, I wouldn't recommend anyone using these particular magnets, but they get the job done, you just need to hold the rack steady while you drop the plugs in or it tips over. I made it for the corner of the tank so I could stick more magnets on it for stability on multiple sides, and it holds my 6 new frags with room to spare although I'm not sure how many more it could handle with the weight. I could always add more magnets if I need.

IMG_0138.JPG IMG_0131.JPG IMG_0134.JPG IMG_0135.JPG
The paly/zoa (I'm thinking it's a zoa, I'm not noticing any lines in the middle) is looking less stretched out, and it's open with a lot less effort now, but it's getting this red algae on it? My tank still has all sorts of different algae things going on, but this poor little coral has gone through enough. Hopefully it won't hurt any of the healthy tissue.

I still have wires and tubes and stuff allover my tank because my siphon is still being very very loud. It's sucking in too much air, my lift pump is just constant bubbles pretty much. I think my weir is too narrow and it's not able to keep up with how much water it's suctioning. I've got ball valves on so hopefully I'll be able to work something out.

I've done some more research on refugiums and I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to do macro algae or an algae scrubber. It seems like an algae scrubber is more effective. I think it would be really awesome to create as much of a closed cycle eco system as possible, I have a little closed system eco system with like one shrimp in it probably a large brine shrimp. I got it for christmas at least 4 years ago and the little guy is still swimming around in there. I hope the mangroves will help with that too. I'll be doing a bit more research on that in the upcoming days.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update-
Went to Reef A Palooza yesterday and got some corals! I'm really excited for my first real coral purchases. I got 5 zoas, and a hammer torch. They're all tiny little frags except for the torch. I'm not sure which colorations of the zoas they are, once they're opening up a bit more in the tank I'll try to figure out how to take pictures to get their proper names. Why is it so hard to get a good picture with the blue lights on anyway. I also got my first fish! I got a pair of clownfish from my LFS's booth, I know they've got good practices and breed their own clowns and I couldn't help but notice that one of the main vendors there that had fish for sale weren't looking too hot.
I got two zoa frags and my clownfish from Absolutely Fish. And I got 3 zoa frags and my torch from the Aquarium Village/Credabel Coral Lab booth. I also ran in to Absolutely on the way home to pick up the food that they'd been feeding the clowns and left with a mangrove and cleaner shrimp as well.

I drip acclimated everything but the mangrove, and did a bayer dip on the corals. Triple rinsed and put them at the bottom of my tank. I had read that I should be sticking them in the sand, but my grass shrimp are noisy little buggers and knock over whatever they decide to inspect, and I have some pretty reckless hermit crabs too. I had some leftover egg crate from what I'm building in my sump so I decided to make a frag shelf in my tank, but all of the ones they sell online are so expensive for what they are. So I bought some magnets on amazon, and superglued them to the egg crate.

I definitely did NOT glue my fingers together. That isn't at all anything that happened while assembling this. Nope. Fingers all remained separate for the entire assembly.

I'm quite pleased with my little frag rack, the magnets are pretty weak, I wouldn't recommend anyone using these particular magnets, but they get the job done, you just need to hold the rack steady while you drop the plugs in or it tips over. I made it for the corner of the tank so I could stick more magnets on it for stability on multiple sides, and it holds my 6 new frags with room to spare although I'm not sure how many more it could handle with the weight. I could always add more magnets if I need.

IMG_0138.JPG IMG_0131.JPG IMG_0134.JPG IMG_0135.JPG
The paly/zoa (I'm thinking it's a zoa, I'm not noticing any lines in the middle) is looking less stretched out, and it's open with a lot less effort now, but it's getting this red algae on it? My tank still has all sorts of different algae things going on, but this poor little coral has gone through enough. Hopefully it won't hurt any of the healthy tissue.

I still have wires and tubes and stuff allover my tank because my siphon is still being very very loud. It's sucking in too much air, my lift pump is just constant bubbles pretty much. I think my weir is too narrow and it's not able to keep up with how much water it's suctioning. I've got ball valves on so hopefully I'll be able to work something out.

I've done some more research on refugiums and I'm starting to wonder if I'm going to do macro algae or an algae scrubber. It seems like an algae scrubber is more effective. I think it would be really awesome to create as much of a closed cycle eco system as possible, I have a little closed system eco system with like one shrimp in it probably a large brine shrimp. I got it for christmas at least 4 years ago and the little guy is still swimming around in there. I hope the mangroves will help with that too. I'll be doing a bit more research on that in the upcoming days.

It is really coming along nicely! At least you did not glue yourself to the tank or your phone.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 126 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 5.6%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 6 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.1%

Back