Ronin87

Ronin87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you've done great so far

Imo, if your entire stand is put together with Craig pocket hole screws, do yourself a favor go behind it and get some 3.5-in deck screws in there. Kreg are good for entry level DIY projects. I've seen hundreds of instances of failure with them though. A 1 lb box of screws will do you just fine. Piece of mind that if somebody accidentally hip checks your tank, it won't rack the frame and tumble to the ground.
Thanks for the info.

I have those screws already so I’ll go back from the inside of the stand and throw them in a strategically.

OP
OP
Ronin87

Ronin87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 40B

my fish stocking;
-2 percula clowns
-royal gramma
-spotted mandarin
-six line wrasse
-springers damsel
bangaii cardinalfish

Hopefully this list gives you some inspiration! Also FYI i have a high bioload sysytem, if you wanted to lower your maintenance do 5-6 small fish instead of my 7.
Thanks for the list, pretty similar to what I have. I’m stocking it based on what fish can help the maintenance of the tank in the beginning. I pulled the list from BRS and of course reef2reef.

With that being said, I know tangs are great for algae control yet they out grow 40b, assuming I would just return it back to the local fish store. Kinda sucks because I like tangs but I know it’s not fair to them to be in such a small tank.

OP
OP
Ronin87

Ronin87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rabbit hole goes so deep......

I know that over half the people who partake in this hobby, usually quit in the first year. Does this include people who never got around to putting water in their tank?

Being new to the hobby, even though I have been following it for years, is still pretty overwhelming considering how many paths one can take.

The 5 min guide from BRS makes it so simple, and I know it is/can be. It's just crazy/exciting how complex it can get once you start peeling back a few more layers of the hobby. I.E Mixing Stations, ATO, Auto ATO from Mixing Station, Auto Dosing, Cable Management, ULM, Neptune Apex......Mind Blowing!

Back on Track.......

I moved/cleaned out the appliance room in the basement and got the mixing station started. Obviously a long way to go but it's at least a step in the right direction. Nothing fancy. I will be painting the OSB black probably. Will use it to have storage available above the mixing station.

Attachments

• IMG-3045.jpg
    IMG-3045.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 42

Ferrell

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is good job and keep up the good work. Focus and stay on track because like you said there are soooo many rabbit holes to go down. Do everything you have to get done to get that tank cycling.

I ran one tank for a year before i bought a 20 gallon bucket on wheels to do water changes and another year before I got a 30 gallon stationary rodi tank. It’s a progression in the hobby plus there’s always something to do.

As far as pumps, I run 2 MP10s on my IM 30L LPS/zoo tank at about 50% reef crest and it’s good. i Also run 3 on my 75 mixed reef at about 65% reef crest. Having them all the same with an extra couple wet sides makes maintenance easy as pie.

Im getting ready to build out a 40b to swap over my 30L and will be using the 10s again on it.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 31 83.8%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 7 18.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 5.4%
Back