First Tank Build - 40 Gallon Breeder

Ronin87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After following BRS Youtube Channel off and on for a little more than 6 years now. I figured it was time to finally own a tank. Never had any type of aquarium, fresh or salt. Just always been fascinated with the Ocean Life and visiting aquariums when I get a chance.

I also usually don't participate in forums but figured this would hold me accountable.

The BRS 5 Minute guide made me feel confident enough to finally set something up. I've watched the entire series 3 times now and made sure to take notes. I will be following as much as the guide as possible through this process. I know there will be things I miss but still excited for the journey.

Over the weekend I bought a 40 Gallon Breeder, 20 Gallon Tank for a Sump and built the popular stand that everyone recommends for starting out. I will update things going forward in this build thread.

Livestock Goal - Will be following the Beginner Fish and Coral Recommendations from BRS and WWC to start out. Big fan of all the different color schemes for the Zoanthids. Would also like to have a pair of clown fish who take to an anemone.

For the build, I decided to split purchases up into phases since the tank has to go through a few cycles. I have obviously purchased a Tank, Sump, and built the stand. Next phases will be the following. Please please please, let me know if there is something you would recommend I do to help the process or if there is something I overlooked.

Phase 1: - RODI and Tank Overflow Setup
  • Paint/Waterproof Stand as best as possible
  • Set Up RO/DI System - Going with 5 stage set up based on recommendation from Water Report and BRS
  • Purchase Containers for holding fresh & salt water mixture - Purchased 32 Gallon Brute Containers
  • Purchase TM Pro Reef Salt - If its ever in stock again. Purchased Today from BRS. Bought 200 Gallon Supply so I would have a bit of a stock pile
  • Purchase BRS - Titanium 100 Watt Heater for mixing salt
  • Purchase Koralia PowerHead for mixing Salt Switching to External Pump for Water Station
  • Drill Tank & Paint the back of Tank
  • Plumb Overflow System - Going with Synergy Reef Overflow Box and Fiji Baffle Kit for sump. Purchased Synergy Reef Overflow Box
  • Set up Tunze Osmolator ATO

Phase 2: Start 1st Cycle of Tank
  • Purchase Carib Sea Special Grade
  • Purchase Real Reef 55lb Mixed Pieces - I want to NSA the Aquascape, at the same time I don't want the rock to dry out and kill any good bacteria. So far at a loss on this one.
  • Purchases 2 BRS Titanium 100 Watt Heaters to place in Sump
  • Purchase 2 Koralia Powerheads for flow. Going with MP10s for cleaner look and flow variability
  • Purchase 2 Syncra Silent Return Pumps
  • Purchase Reef Octopus Classic 110 Skimmer. Now Considering Reef Octopus 130
  • Install and Set up Power Bar
  • Start Tank Cylce with Dr Tims One and Only and by adding a Hardy Clown Fish
  • Continue Dosing Bacteria Boost while testing Ammonia and Nitrate once a week
  • Begin 10% Weekly Water Changes - When should this actually start? I assume not within the first few weeks.
  • Add Carbon Media to Sump
  • Plumb UV Sterilizer for future Ich Control/Management - Still trying to research and learn more
  • Add remaining list of fish slowly every few weeks while dosing with Vibrant
Notes - Refugium will be set up once I have the tank established with several fish and lights are still off.

Phase 3: Lights, Camera, Action....Hopefully!
  • Purchase AI Prime 16HDs X 2 - Lights On!
  • Purchase/Add Cleanup crew of Snails and Crabs
  • Add Coraline Algae - Watch for growth before adding 1st coral
  • Set Up 2 Part BRS Dosing System with Auto Dosing Pumps
  • Add Test Coral
  • Continue to add coral at modest pace while adjusting Dosing System

Phase 4: If Tank is Established and Healthy
  • Ask Santa for a Neptune Apex Controller

Thanks for sticking with me this far, I know it was a long post. Wanted to have something concrete for me to also continue to reference as I get things moving.

unnamed.jpg

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Planning is the first stage to suucess. Be sure not to teach yourself with lower quality/priced equipment.

OP
OP
Ronin87

Ronin87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Planning is the first stage to suucess. Be sure not to teach yourself with lower quality/priced equipmet
Planning is a big thing for me when it comes to this, even then there will be several things I encounter that I didn't plan for. I know it's part of the hobby and experience.

As for the equipment piece, I'm following the 5 Minute Guide as stated just because it seemed so turn key. With that being said, knowing that I am doing a 40 Gallon Breeder build for LPS Primarily. What equipment do you believe I should look into.

I know I can up my game with the Power Heads and Return Pumps. Just curious what other thoughts there were.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are off to a great start. There are however a couple of things I noticed on your list that I would recommend changing.

#1 - please, Please, PLEASE, DO NOT cycle with a fish in the tank! instead, just add an ammonia source (or Dr. Tims Ammonium Chloride), your bottled bacteria, and wait for the cycle to complete. When cycling with fish, even if the fish survives, it WILL suffer!

#2 - Koralia's are great pumps, but I prefer wavemakes over constant flow pumps. If you are trying to keep costs down you could start with a Jebao wave maker, or for a little more a Nero.

#3 - Purchase Smart Plugs. I have found these to be a great option when not using an Apex. I am able to turn everything on and off from my phone or with my voice using Alexa or Google Assistant. It is SOOO nice to be able to turn things off without fumbling for my phone, a power switch, or unplugging things.

lpsouth1978

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P.S. - I am also a member of the 40b club! My current system is just a couple months old. You can check it out here.

OP
OP
Ronin87

Ronin87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
P.S. - I am also a member of the 40b club! My current system is just a couple months old. You can check it out here.

I saw your post a few days ago and realized I need to do the same so that it helps me stay accountable. It's nice having it all written out.

OP
OP
Ronin87

Ronin87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you are off to a great start. There are however a couple of things I noticed on your list that I would recommend changing.

#1 - please, Please, PLEASE, DO NOT cycle with a fish in the tank! instead, just add an ammonia source (or Dr. Tims Ammonium Chloride), your bottled bacteria, and wait for the cycle to complete. When cycling with fish, even if the fish survives, it WILL suffer!

#2 - Koralia's are great pumps, but I prefer wavemakes over constant flow pumps. If you are trying to keep costs down you could start with a Jebao wave maker, or for a little more a Nero.

#3 - Purchase Smart Plugs. I have found these to be a great option when not using an Apex. I am able to turn everything on and off from my phone or with my voice using Alexa or Google Assistant. It is SOOO nice to be able to turn things off without fumbling for my phone, a power switch, or unplugging things.
Thank you for this information.

#1. I will for sure do the cycle without a fish. Won't add fish till parameters are met.

#2. Didn't even think about the Koralia's being a constant flow. I do know that variable speed pumps that simulate tide patterns are much better for the tank, so I will go back and look at the option you recommend. I'm trying to be conscious about costs, but at the same time a better product for the health of the tank outweighs that.

#3. Didn't even know these were a thing. I will be adding these to the list.

OP
OP
Ronin87

Ronin87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Filled in the Kreg Pocket Holes with dows and a few screw holes with Wood Filler. Sanded everything down and applied 1 coat of Kilz Primer to the outside of stand and and 2 coats of Primer on the inside of stand.

I will be leaving the inside of the stand white, I still need to cut the corners and gaps in. With that being said, do people caulk/silicone the inside seams up? Just didn't know if that was a thing or if it was overkill.

Outside of stand will have a coat of Rust-Oleum Protective Enamel. I bought some wood panels to attach to the core frame, will be staining those and attempt to add some flare so that it fits in with the area that the tank will be.

Attachments

• Painted.jpg
    Painted.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 113

terraincognita

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After following BRS Youtube Channel off and on for a little more than 6 years now. I figured it was time to finally own a tank. Never had any type of aquarium, fresh or salt. Just always been fascinated with the Ocean Life and visiting aquariums when I get a chance.

I also usually don't participate in forums but figured this would hold me accountable.

The BRS 5 Minute guide made me feel confident enough to finally set something up. I've watched the entire series 3 times now and made sure to take notes. I will be following as much as the guide as possible through this process. I know there will be things I miss but still excited for the journey.

Over the weekend I bought a 40 Gallon Breeder, 20 Gallon Tank for a Sump and built the popular stand that everyone recommends for starting out. I will update things going forward in this build thread.

Livestock Goal - Will be following the Beginner Fish and Coral Recommendations from BRS and WWC to start out. Big fan of all the different color schemes for the Zoanthids. Would also like to have a pair of clown fish who take to an anemone.

For the build, I decided to split purchases up into phases since the tank has to go through a few cycles. I have obviously purchased a Tank, Sump, and built the stand. Next phases will be the following. Please please please, let me know if there is something you would recommend I do to help the process or if there is something I overlooked.

Phase 1: - RODI and Tank Overflow Setup
  • Paint//Waterproof Stand as best as possible
  • Set Up RO/DI System - Based on the water quality report below, how many stages of a RO/DI system should I be buying? I will be going with the BRS System.
  • Purchase Containers for holding fresh & salt water mixture - As for containers, I don't mind doing the brute cans, but I would prefer to do the better looking white containers that are meant to hold water. Where should I look at purchasing these?
  • Purchase TM Pro Reef Salt - If its ever in stock again
  • Purchase BRS - Titanium 100 Watt Heater for mixing salt
  • Purchase Koralia PowerHead for mixing Salt
  • Drill Tank & Paint the back of Tank
  • Plumb Overflow System - Going with Synergy Reef Overflow Box and Fiji Baffle Kit for sump
  • Build ATO Box
  • Set up Tunze Osmolator ATO

Phase 2: Start 1st Cycle of Tank
  • Purchase Carib Sea Special Grade
  • Purchase Real Reef 55lb Mixed Pieces - I want to NSA the Aquascape, at the same time I don't want the rock to dry out and kill any good bacteria. So far at a loss on this one.
  • Purchases 2 BRS Titanium 100 Watt Heaters to place in Sump
  • Purchase 2 Koralia Powerheads for flow
  • Purchase 2 Syncra Silent Return Pumps
  • Purchase Reef Octopus Classic 110 Skimmer - Will remain off for the first week
  • Install and Set up Power Bar
  • Start Tank Cylce with Dr Tims One and Only and by adding a Hardy Clown Fish
  • Continue Dosing Bacteria Boost while testing Ammonia and Nitrate once a week
  • Begin 10% Weekly Water Changes - When should this actually start? I assume not within the first few weeks.
  • Add Carbon Media to Sump
  • Plumb UV Sterilizer for future Ich Control/Management - Still trying to research and learn more
  • Add remaining list of fish slowly every few weeks while dosing with Vibrant
Notes - Refugium will be set up once I have the tank established with several fish and lights are still off.

Phase 3: Lights, Camera, Action....Hopefully!
  • Purchase AI Prime 16HDs X 2 - Lights On!
  • Purchase/Add Cleanup crew of Snails and Crabs
  • Add Coraline Algae - Watch for growth before adding 1st coral
  • Set Up 2 Part BRS Dosing System with Auto Dosing Pumps
  • Add Test Coral
  • Continue to add coral at modest pace while adjusting Dosing System

Phase 4: If Tank is Established and Healthy
  • Ask Santa for a Neptune Apex Controller

Thanks for sticking with me this far, I know it was a long post. Wanted to have something concrete for me to also continue to reference as I get things moving.

unnamed.jpg
Build the NSA Scape in the aquarium with salt or brackish water. with a heater, No Pumps.

It'll keep the bacteria alive. Probably for 1-2 weeks giving you plenty time to fiddle and scape.

Put the rocks, once received, in a bag in a box and break them all up into smaller pieces, or you could get a saw and cut them so you have flat surfaces.

Then empty the tank pull out the pieces give it a quick rinse, get a spray bottle of Saltwater to keep the rocks wet while you clean the tank out.

Most of the epoxy's will still dry in 24 hours in the water, and you can use PVC or just about anything to support it since you're just gonna dump the water later anyway.

OP
OP
Ronin87

Ronin87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First time building a stand and felt like I needed to add some flair to it....Sneak Peek of what is hopefully to come.

Attachments

• Tank.png
    Tank.png
    880.7 KB · Views: 102
OP
OP
Ronin87

Ronin87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldn't be taking so long to build my stand but I really want it to match the area I currently have set up.

Almost done welding the outer trim together. Then I will do the doors and be completely done.

Salt Mix and Reef Synergy came in this week.

Ordering the RODI System from BRS and getting the Mixing Station put together over the weekend.

WIth that being said, I was planning on doing a baffle kit in a 20g tank that I bought from petco. It comes with a are for filter socks but after looking at a few builds that have Theiling Roller Mats. I like the idea of not having to mess with filter socks.

So will this be enough for a 40 Breeder?

Seems like a small area for collection but it has decent reviews.

Attachments

• Tank Stand.jpg
    Tank Stand.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 93
OP
OP
Ronin87

Ronin87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following! I'm also building a 40b. Very good plan, I've also been following the BRS 5 minute guide and planning on a negative space aquascape.
It's been a fun journey so far.

I laid out my original plan and since then, I have changed my mind on gear and continue to try and figure out how to make it a bit better/efficient.

I'm a big fan of the NSA, so I will be doing the same. Hoping my significant other can lend me her creative skills because I lack in that department.

I should be much further along, but build the stand to my liking has taken my time. I have also changed my mind on the my mixing station and will be plumbing an external pump to do all the mixing for me.

BeTreyed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many MP10s are you planning? I've been debating between 2 MP10s or an Mp40. But personally I'm trying to keep a larger future tank in mind with my build.

dimitrinivo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a 40B

my fish stocking;
-2 percula clowns
-royal gramma
-spotted mandarin
-six line wrasse
-springers damsel
bangaii cardinalfish

Hopefully this list gives you some inspiration! Also FYI i have a high bioload sysytem, if you wanted to lower your maintenance do 5-6 small fish instead of my 7.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you've done great so far

Imo, if your entire stand is put together with Craig pocket hole screws, do yourself a favor go behind it and get some 3.5-in deck screws in there. Kreg are good for entry level DIY projects. I've seen hundreds of instances of failure with them though. A 1 lb box of screws will do you just fine. Piece of mind that if somebody accidentally hip checks your tank, it won't rack the frame and tumble to the ground.

OP
OP
Ronin87

Ronin87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many MP10s are you planning? I've been debating between 2 MP10s or an Mp40. But personally I'm trying to keep a larger future tank in mind with my build.
So I’m doing 2 MP10s.

First tank so I’m no expert. I think there are several ways you can approach it.

In my case the MP10s will do the trick based on my corals I want to go with. I will also be using more than 50% of the power on MP10s.

You can go the MP40 route, use a fraction of the power/GPH it can produce. Yet when you go to upgrade to a larger tank, the MP40s can carry over to that tank.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 21.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.7%
Back