First Tank - Powerhead and rock questions, thank you.

Jon_901

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there,

FOWLR Tank:

Do you need two powerheads minimum? One on each side?
If we only have one on one side of the tank; would the one way current be unnatural and disliked by the fish and not correct? Would it be better to use two? I hear its just about getting the debris off the bottom of the tank so the filter cleans it but do the fish prefer one on each side?

I bought some rock labelled live rock from my local pet store but it was dry in a crate.
Is it still live rock if its dry? Is live rock normally in water? Do I need to clean the newly bought dry live rock?

Also, my dad gave me some old rock that was once in a salt water tank about 20 years ago (it looks like old coral rocks). Is this also live rock? Is live rock coral? Should I avoid using the 20 year old rocks?

Context:
First timer. I bought a 75 gallon tank, I have the Seachem tidal 110 filter (for a 55 to 110 g tank), a Hydor Koralia Evolution 750/850 GPH Aquarium Circulation Pump, Two Aquaneat circulation powerheads (480 GPH each), Ehiem 200W heater, and misc.

Thanks for the help!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Not necessarily.
2. Again, not necessarily. Entirely up to you.
3. It depends. The fish prefer being fed...
4. If it's dry, it's not live. Yes, live rock will be in water. Yes, a good rinse is recommended.
5. No, it's also dry rock. Live rock is not coral. Sometimes used rock can leech stuff into the tank, so many will bleach or clean it prior.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back