First Tank Readings

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My salinity measured 1.024, 31%. Is this a good number to maintain? How often should this be checked?
I received my Red Sea test kit today, but this happened when I opened it :( I think the ammonia bottle was opened, which I believe is corrosive, and dangerous. I wonder if I can scavenge anything from it...
Can anybody recommend any other complete test kits?

20180612_212329.jpg

SEMA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1.024 is in the perfect range. 1.022-1.026. Stay in the middle incase you fluctuate a little from time to time. I personally check my salinity levels when I remove water and have to add water back. In the beginning, check it once a month or you remove water. If you take salt out, you must replace! It's a dilution ratio. As water evaporates, the salt level increases. Make sure when the tank has lost water due to evaporation, you only add RODI, and top the tank off often to minimise fluctuations. Once a week or more frequent.
The test kit looks like it seen better days! Depending on how much reagent spilled, I would discard to get replaced if brand new. Red Sea offers great test kits as well as salifert. All in one kits, I would stick with red sea. Test kits you will grow to learn which tests you like from what manufacture in terms of convenience and ease of reading. I would also look into getting Hanna alkalinity(dkh) hand held test, it costs more upfront but will save you so much headache and time. Hanna also offers a phosphorus in PPB and is almost a definite need!
Welcomes to reefing, be patient, read tons(someone b4 has asked your question almost 100% of the time), and good luck to you in a hobby that is very rewarding!

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would talk to whomever you ordered that kit from about replacement if that is how it was delivered to you. 1.024 is fine for a FOWLR tank however if you are going to set up a reef I would aim for 1.025-1.026 which is what the natural ocean is at (35ppts). In addition, I always check my salinity when doing a water change and I imagine you will, depending on tank size do this probably every 2-3 weeks. There are lots of opinions on test kits and I have my own...I own all that Hanna offers as well as Salifert and my go to for Nitrates is Nylos.....as I say, lots of opinions. The reason I have copied kits of Salifert and Hanna is that if i get a reading that I don't think is where it should be, I will use the other tester to verify or nullify my previous result. All that being said, you may be satisfied, depending on the level of tank you are setting up with the API Master Saltwater or Reef kit (cant remember the exact name) which has what you need to run a successful FOWLR tank.

OP
OP
D

droidus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would talk to whomever you ordered that kit from about replacement if that is how it was delivered to you. 1.024 is fine for a FOWLR tank however if you are going to set up a reef I would aim for 1.025-1.026 which is what the natural ocean is at (35ppts). In addition, I always check my salinity when doing a water change and I imagine you will, depending on tank size do this probably every 2-3 weeks. There are lots of opinions on test kits and I have my own...I own all that Hanna offers as well as Salifert and my go to for Nitrates is Nylos.....as I say, lots of opinions. The reason I have copied kits of Salifert and Hanna is that if i get a reading that I don't think is where it should be, I will use the other tester to verify or nullify my previous result. All that being said, you may be satisfied, depending on the level of tank you are setting up with the API Master Saltwater or Reef kit (cant remember the exact name) which has what you need to run a successful FOWLR tank.

I plan to also have coral as well. Would a API test kit be ok to use?
How should I increase the salinity? Just slowly dump in more salt? Right now I only have rock in my tank.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have no live stock, then yes you can just add salt. When the salt hits water, a chemical reaction takes place. That reaction can harm fish and coral. The best salinity testing piece of equipment is a refractometer. Get some calibration fluid for it. It can be your best friend for water changes. APi test kit is better than no test kit. I use hanna (alk and ultra low po4); redsea (nitrate); Salfert (mag and calcium)

Swoody

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan to also have coral as well. Would a API test kit be ok to use?
How should I increase the salinity? Just slowly dump in more salt? Right now I only have rock in my tank.
Just get a gallon of RODI water and mix it extra strong like 3-4 times the amount of salt you would normally use and mix it well and then slowly introduce it to your tank or sump...not all at once and check your salinity along the way. The API will get you started but if you are doing a reef then you are going to want an ALK (dKh) tester, and Calcium & Magnesium as well and either Hanna or Salifert will work for that.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
API tests are good but quick and dirty.

Their ALK tests is to the nearest 1 DKH unit. Ok for a fish only or fish and tough as nails soft corals.

The ALK test for Red Sea Pro or Salifert is good to plus or minus .1 DKH. Much better for hard corals.

For nitrate, ALK and Ca, Red Sea Pro and Salifert are good.
For Mg, Red Sea drives me crazy. I use Salifert.
For phosphates, Hanna ULR is the only one I would recommend.

Also get a refractometer to measure salinity. It is easily calibrated and the test is quick and accurate.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 65 39.4%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 36 21.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 58 35.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.6%
Back