First tanks first big problem. My solution

Nick96

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Fiji 39 gallon peninsula. Love the tank, all of my parameters have been decent (ive had it for about 10 months now). I have had torches successfully and got a lot of coralline algae growing which is super exciting. I

Unfortunately, I let a pest problem go too long. I had a lot of rock that got covered in bubble algae and aptasia. It got tocthe point the hermit crabs shells and my pumps were getting glogged with the stuff. I tried an emerald but no luck.

I made a reqlly tough choice to remove 50% of my rock. I was going to remove it and take the bubble out but it was so much algae that I physically couldn't. I decided to remove it permanently, and clean the other 50% best i could that had my torches on it and other corals I wanted to keep. I honestly am probably going to lose a lot of corals but I learned a lot and I have the mentality of ready to lose it all at any point.

I'll post some before and after pictures soon but I wanted to hear others stories of how they got around this issue and what preventive measures you take to remove bubble algae and aptasia.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely agreed. I will need to buy a peppermint shrimp when things settle
Urchins are pretty good for all types of algae, ring cowries do a pretty good job against dinos and black sea cucumbers are fantastic for turning over sand. I've also had good success with lawnmower blennies, abalone and sea hares. Less so with emerald crabs and various types of starfish.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 27 84.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 9.4%
Back