First tide pods now...

ReeferReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The problem with this mentality is that while 85-90% of the people responding totally understand that this is meant to be a joke, there is always that other 10-15% who take things literally or are mentally unstable, etc... and that’s when what is intended as a joke gets people hurt or killed. This is where age and maturity have the advantage...we’ve lived long enough to realize that there is such a thing as unintended consequences. (Although for what it’s worth, I’m not that old...)

Here is my favorite of the "challenges". Obviously it is dangerous, but thats what makes it so funny.

Please keep in mind that the fad of doing stupid things did not start at the beginning of this century.

In the early 1900's flag pool sitting was very popular on college campuses. One of the most old school teen pranks was back in the 30s when swallowing a live gold fish was a college fad. In the 40s phone booth stuffing was popular with the youth. Anyone remember glass eating? A popular fad in the 70s, introduced by Tim Rossovich, a linebacker for the Eagles. Students quickly followed behind him. Streaking was a popular fad in the 70s. Car surfing was very popular in the 80s. Millennials did not invent mailbox baseball. You can be sure that "whippits" were not invented by millennials either.

Kids doing dumb things is not a modern problem. It is just more exposed now due to our increase communication via the internet. FYI, music did not die in 1974 and its not too loud. ;)

Johniejumbo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait let’s not forget about snorting prophylactics and consuming alcohol from the wrong end! This generation is full of great ideas!
Really though I think people have always had the tendency to go for the shock factor. Social media just makes it that much easier to show off. I don’t worry about these things. I do feel sorry for some of their parents. Nobody should have to see their kid do some of the things kids do.
Other than that, bring on the entertainment! Just try not to earn yourself a nice Darwin Award for your family to remember you by.

Entz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kids doing dumb things is not a modern problem. It is just more exposed now due to our increase communication via the internet. FYI, music did not die in 1974 and its not too loud. ;)
I am not so sure about that, lots of stuff is coming out on Vinyl ;) FWIW I actually like loud music but maybe I am not old enough ;)

I do blame social media though as it is becoming a cesspool of negativeness and is starting to ruin lives (So easy to bully, shame, hate, incite) and I believe making people dumber as time goes on (adults are just as bad)

Survival of the fittest my guy. Thin out the stupidity in the gene pool. If you take it seriously and die ,oh well, goodbye.
Sadly with modern medicine the stupid tends to survive and often times takes the fittest out (Drunk/high driving for example).

Mariette

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe it’s a real plan. Maybe it’s not. But ppl have seen it, of the 800k that have pledged to show up, SOME probably will. Can’t wait to see how that goes *eye roll”. At least they have the gvt plenty of warning and time to relocate the aliens Hahahaha

TheHarold

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
consuming alcohol from the wrong end! This generation is full of great ideas!

You think this generation started that?

Are you forgetting the crazy cocaine hippies? lol

Or those who smoked a pack of cigarettes a day because it was the cool thing to do?

Your generation is absolutely responsible for this nonsense; created the social environment that all these children grew up in. Nice jobbbbb

lbiminiblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It wouldn't surprise me. Social media is a dangerous thing and that is the point, people are doing stupid things because of some viral meme and are doing it to try and fit in. Sooner or later people are going to die.

Maybe not the youtubers, but the kids watching it later who thinks its cool.

What happens when your child or sibling who is 5 and decides that eating tide pods is cool and dies.

Hopefully I haven’t failed as a parent to the point where my kid thinks that falling for the latest trend is a cool thing.

PYRU

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it. Our music is too loud, we text instead of calling and we are putting the cable industry out of business.

It just comes off as very "get off my lawn".

The reason we keep making so many off the wall jokes and memes is because old people keep reacting to them. People didn't like planking, Pokemon Go, the cinnamon challenge, mannequin challenge, dabbing, gallon milk challenge, pass out/knock out challenge, lip plumping, and all of the other silly things that have taken the internet by storm over the last decade. It is funny to see old people get so offended by silly things, so we keep doing silly things.

I promise that everyone who did the tide pod challenge knew full well that tide pods are not intended for consumption. That's what makes it funny.

I strongly disagree with the idea that children require corporal punishment. Phones are not ruining children. When books became commonplace people thought that would ruin kids as well. Access to the entirety of human knowledge is a good thing, not a bad thing. Kids better learn how to use phones, tablets and computers because their jobs will likely revolve around them.

Yeah because none of the others generations were rebels...what trend setters lol. Its one thing to be thought an idiot but its a whole other to confirm it by posting a video online.

What do you consider old anyway?

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I propose the world was always hard to understand. My evidence the person who invented this, the board meeting that said go, and anyone who ever made one lol.
160ad253e9630896512b2ecfe2825aba.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 18 13.3%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 83 61.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back