First time fragging.. shouldn’t have used a torch

TheFish_23

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I posted a on a local Facebook reefer page about some black widow BTA’s that had split in my tank. I was only planning on selling the one that was the newest but he was running all over the place touching corals so I wanted to get rid of him. I posted and a member saw, said he would trade me for a rainbow anemone, and wanted to buy a couple heads from my torch.

45983f43dee92ee0c9e5121bfebfd03b.jpg

I agreed as he said he’d pay for my gas and a couple other corals he’d buy off my tank that I didn’t really want. But I have never fragged and I wanted to cut this torch without a saw so I bought some heavy duty hedge clippers. I tried give him a head that was splitting as he asked for two and I didn’t want to give him a single head and one of the two heads that were currently splitting.

All in all, I cut a little to close the the skeleton...
f96fe762800f74860ef6688008d78ced.jpg
e3d42fd2206163622f5148413384e515.jpg

I left to go to the store and buy a chisel (the method the guy who’s buying the frags off me wants me to use) and a razor to frag my paly’s. I’ve done a fair amount of research on fragging them and palytoxin and I’m taking safety precautions. Either way let me know which you think is the most effective way. He wants me to crack the frag plug with the chisel and I want to scrap off some polyps. Haven’t done them yet still

I came home and they extended much more from when I first cut them. Pretty sure I killed them but I guess I got lucky for now. Lesson learned though. I tried taking a risky cut for someone who wanted two heads when I should have taken the cleaner cut on the single head... or get better at fragging [emoji23]
61f4014b89089e374561fbcde1f5079c.jpg

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never fragged palythoas, so I couldn't help there.

Torches and hammers I've done. Most of them were pretty easily fragged by just holding on to them. Sharp tool and scoring the skeleton till thin works.

Garin fisher

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never dragged but wouldn't just cutting off a branch with bone cutters work?
Welcome to R2R!!! Awesome looking tank. Seems like everything should be fine. Definitely on board with the dremel and diamond wheel.
Heck of a first post @TheFish_23
I think the torch will be fine. I would glue it to a rock myself and it may encrust nicely.

Welcome to Reef2Reef

Thank you all for the response ^^ this will be my new account now, I had some trouble verifying my other account with my email.

I ended up stepping my foot in the water with razor and decided and didn't like it, so I used the chisel and tried to crack the plug like he told me and it didn't go so well for atleast the pretty ones. Thanks again for your comments!!

Back