First time I've ever seen this in captivity????

  • Thread starter Thread starter skinz78
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Joined
May 8, 2009
Messages
21,938
Reaction score
637
Location
lovely rainy NW Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it's a well known fact that Crocea clams are also called Rock Boring clams due to their tendency to bore into rocks in nature. I've never ever seen one do it in the home aquarium until tonight in my own setup. I think I have a fish that is picking on my clams so I moved them all to a container in the tank to shield them from the fish. In doing so I removed my Crocea clam from his rock that he has been on for about 2 years now. Much to my suprize it has been boring into the rock.... Check it out:

559971_638492796165019_1643500921_n.jpg


And I also took this pic to show the myth that Crocea's don't get scutes, since it has scutes it must be a Maxea right lol....

77108_638492762831689_1941051098_n.jpg


And a pic of the shield I have them under. Notice the holes for water circulation.

532931_638492699498362_1085204312_n.jpg
 
Nice that's pretty cool! Thanks for sharing!
 
Yes that is cool! Thanks for sharing!
 
very cool, i havent had that happen in aquarium, but i know they use those scutes to help burrow down into the rock. Thats why on a lot of them they are worn off
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new