Is this PMD?

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I bought 2 maxima at the same time roughly a month ago. The one in slightly less par (~200-250) has been slowly receding over the past week.

I'm not sure if it's due to the par or it looks more like PMD. There are 3 other maxima, a deresa and a crocea of varying sizes that are doing well (year plus), so I know it's not parameter related.

I added carbon to the tank as suggested in the PMD earlier this AM.

I'm considering FWD vs moving the clam at this point. Opinions?

Here are some shots of the clam now vs 2 weeks ago.

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 12.24.34 PM.png Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 12.26.24 PM.png Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 12.27.05 PM.png Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 12.27.28 PM.png

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Kind of looks like there are a few ball anemone's growning next to the clam? I would scrape those off and fresh water dip the clam and hope that it recovers. PMD? kinda looks like it.

OP
OP
Shark.Bait

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Kind of looks like there are a few ball anemone's growning next to the clam? I would scrape those off and fresh water dip the clam and hope that it recovers. PMD? kinda looks like it.
It's a little leather, never bothered the clam. Good idea to scrape it off anyway.

OP
OP
Shark.Bait

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
any opinion @OrionN ? I just read over your threads. Very helpful. I did notice that it seems to get worse throughout the day

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
clam 1.png

clam2.png

I think it is PMD. Look at the area I circled when you first put the clam in your tank. I think this is where he was infected and it is the epicenter of the retraction. At least you got him early. You may want to treat all of the clam or else treated and put him into another tank.

OP
OP
Shark.Bait

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
clam 1.png

clam2.png

I think it is PMD. Look at the area I circled when you first put the clam in your tank. I think this is where he was infected and it is the epicenter of the retraction. At least you got him early. You may want to treat all of the clam or else treated and put him into another tank.
Thanks! I will do a 30 minute dip in RODI and report back. How long after the dip does it take to see improvement usually?

OP
OP
Shark.Bait

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Dipped for 30 minutes in RODI last night and then moved to my sump frag tank for some lower flow. It is still retracted but not gaping. We will see

OP
OP
Shark.Bait

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
if it will improve it would be much better by now, 24 hrs post treatment
Well, no improvement. It still looks worse than yesterday, unfortunately.

The only other thing I can think of is low nutrients. My phosphate and nitrate hover between barely detectable to zero despite heavy feeds. Would that be enough to cause something similar in your opinion?

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be PMD but the clam is too far gone and will not get better.
Could be other things too, other infections. Basically anything can cause irritation and retraction to the mantels. PMD is only one of these conditions that we can treat

OP
OP
Shark.Bait

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It can be PMD but the clam is too far gone and will not get better.
Could be other things too, other infections. Basically anything can cause irritation and retraction to the mantels. PMD is only one of these conditions that we can treat
Worth dipping the other clams?

I’m worried I’ve got something similar going on with this one now.

Attachments

• IMG_5082.jpeg
    IMG_5082.jpeg
    146.8 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_5084.jpeg
    IMG_5084.jpeg
    164.6 KB · Views: 38
OP
OP
Shark.Bait

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Both are declining today. Seems like it's too late for the red sea maxima.

I'm going to dip the second maxima in RO and see how it goes. I have no idea what could be causing this.

Shirak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You mention you have had them for about a month? I don't see much shell growth which isn't a good sign. Could be the low nutrients or a combination of things. You also mentioned 200-250 par? Probably not enough light.

OP
OP
Shark.Bait

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
You mention you have had them for about a month? I don't see much shell growth which isn't a good sign. Could be the low nutrients or a combination of things. You also mentioned 200-250 par? Probably not enough light.
There’s 7 clams in the system ranging from 1 inch to about 5 inches and I’ve had the largest one for a little over a year.

The one that just died was in my tank for about a month.

The other maxima I showed is opening up less and less. The largest maxima detached its foot for the first time tonight. Not sure what’s going on but it’s something system wide at this point.

Added another bag of carbon and planning on a water change tomorrow. The rest of the clams are between 350-500 par so maybe they’re dealing with whatever it is better than the one that died.

MoparMike97

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to say it, but this sounds like my recent "clam plague" where I lost all 14 of my tridacna over the course of about 2 weeks. I really hope I'm wrong, but the pics in your first post look absolutely identical to the mantle irritation I saw on my clams before they started to decline

OP
OP
Shark.Bait

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Seems like it unfortunately. I lost another, smaller clam pretty quickly after. My other Red Sea clam is now “bunching up” like the other one did before it died.

Tons of growth for months and then this all of a sudden. I have no idea what it could be.

OP
OP
Shark.Bait

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I hate to say it, but this sounds like my recent "clam plague" where I lost all 14 of my tridacna over the course of about 2 weeks. I really hope I'm wrong, but the pics in your first post look absolutely identical to the mantle irritation I saw on my clams before they started to decline
I’m assuming you had them all for a while. That’s so unfortunate. Did you try dipping any?

OP
OP
Shark.Bait

Shark.Bait

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Update on the second Red Sea clam.

Attachments

• IMG_5173.jpeg
    IMG_5173.jpeg
    170.7 KB · Views: 15

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 82 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.9%
Back