OP
O

Ocd93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely glad I decided to ask!
I do have the tank filled now for the past couple of days, I guess it’s time to empty it again.

If it was to fail, how would it happen typically? Would I start to see water leaking? Would it explode? Are there any warning signs to look for?

Since I filled it I have been at the edge of my seat really, but I suppose a failure wouldn’t happen as soon as 3 days?

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure if this matters, but I just placed a level all across the inside and top of the tank, and it’s all level, so does this mean the glass is leveled but the bracing is forgiving in this scenario and it isn’t level?

Thank you all so much for this support, my heart feels at peace funnily enough even though I realise so many things are wrong

Failure can happen at any time. Days... months, etc. It is random.

WVNed

The fish are staring at me with hungry eyes.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would find something that would make a nice top. A piece of countertop, granite, butcherblock, something like that
Shim in multiple points between it and the stand all the way around with something that wont compress like sheet metal or vinyl tile pieces and fasten it down.
Then
Do your tank.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When sitting on a flat surface, if the bottom glass of the tank is elevated off the surface due to the bracing, then a foam mat or full bottom support is not necessary. But it still needs to be level.

OP
OP
O

Ocd93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can’t thank you all enough!

I’m going to try and see how I will level it, if I am able to get a nice thick piece of wood on top of the stand to level everything off, then place the aquarium.

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a wood stand guy myself. I don't think people understand how much a 2x6 can actually support. I will say though, I have seen some amazing tanks that had metal stands that had a wrap around wood skin that could be removed to access the whole sump, and that seemed nice.
Yea and in my head I’m thinking 4x6s for 4 vertical corners notched to fit, some 2x6 braces, I would run cross braces along the back/sides. 3/4 inch plywood sanded, not OSB. Lumber prices have came back down to previous prices we seen before the “pandemic” or whatever you call the last year or two lol

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea and in my head I’m thinking 4x6s for 4 vertical corners notched to fit, some 2x6 braces, I would run cross braces along the back/sides. 3/4 inch plywood sanded, not OSB. Lumber prices have came back down to previous prices we seen before the “pandemic” or whatever you call the last year or two lol
I really like the 2x6 with the 2x4 on the inside. That way the notch is already made when you cut them to different lengths and screw together. I need to take a look back at wood prices again. I don't need a tank but would like to just build something out of wood for fun. Couldn't justify building something out of wood for fun and buying corals.

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it is not all okay.
The top of your stand is not flat. The legs are higher than the cross bracing and you have the corner of the tank on top of a leg on one end and beside it on the other. The mat is doing nothing.
I would make a top for the stand out of something that makes the stand flat and level for the tank to sit on.
Agreed.

Just a Wrasse.

The biggest wrasse fan.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys, I’ve been reading A LOT about deferent aquarium designs (rimless braced) and how a stand should support an aquarium.
And honestly I want someone to set me free from this FEAR I have that the aquarium might crack or explode!

So to get to my question part, I had my aquarium custom built, the aquarium is 120 cm x 60 cm x 50 cm, with a built in sump sectioned off at 100 cm. the glass thickness is 10 mm, and it has aluminium bracing all around.

DE0F40D4-F8FD-4BA0-9EFB-BFC1AA240A75.jpeg

This is the aquarium stand, also custom built at 120 cm x 60 cm.

So when I placed the aquarium on top, it was essentially unsupported all across the bottom, as that’s because the aluminium bracing all around the tank wasn’t taken into consideration, so those 2 support bars seemed completely useless.

83C59B6A-F208-4AA2-A2F4-3A07F3F7E529.jpeg
I placed a yoga Matt across the bottom because it made more sense to have the aquarium on it? But even then essentially the aquarium is mainly supported from the corners, and close to the corners, with the rest being a good 2mm free.

77BBEA0D-0593-48F0-8705-36CEA1BB27C8.jpeg 077AE072-EA3C-44CB-AF87-2A99335DEA44.jpeg CC7A9489-C253-4D66-8B62-3E177DE7F9A5.jpeg
This is left and right front corners and a view from the back, it’s not over hanging too much, it’s still rested on the bracing. It appears pretty level overall, but I’m not really sure.

Honestly I just worry from all that I have read etc, and I keep imagining it’s gonna explode or crack. This is my first aquarium that’s this large.

Could someone please help me and put me out of my misery, is everything looking okay? Should I fix anything?

Sorry for this long post, thank you!
Customer Service Manager GIF by Ryn Dean

Not to be mean, but even MY welds are better then that.

Supa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I really like the 2x6 with the 2x4 on the inside. That way the notch is already made when you cut them to different lengths and screw together. I need to take a look back at wood prices again. I don't need a tank but would like to just build something out of wood for fun. Couldn't justify building something out of wood for fun and buying corals.
I 100% agree!!

design.maddie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just want to make sure of something before this goes much further. The stand has been load tested correct?

One other idea no one has suggested. Ask the shop to use a die grinder and just chop off those high points on the corners. Might be your cheapest, easiest solution. Could have water in the tank by the end of the day type deal.

Kodski

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Customer Service Manager GIF by Ryn Dean

Not to be mean, but even MY welds are better then that.
If you can use a grinder you can weld!

1633886673350.png

In all seriousness. Judging by the welds, I'm not sure I would trust that stand. Yes its metal, yes its "braced" but that doesn't mean those welds actually will hold anything. They may break/crack over time. Plus those gussets are a joke. Putting gussets on only the top corners is a half a**ed solution to racking. Having been a professional welder at one point in my life, I'm going to judge anyone who sells their work harshly. So my reaction is probably a bit strong.

At the very least this is what I'd do. I'm going to give the welder the benefit of the doubt. Those welds will probably be just fine for the size of the tank. HOWEVER, those gussets need to be cut off and replaced with larger gussets. IN ALL CORNERS. Racking of the stand wont happen just in the top of the stand or only in one direction. Also as design.maddie said, have them cut/grind the legs flat to the rest of the stand as it should have been in the first place. Then there should be no need for an addition top as long as its flat. I would still use a foam to help even out the load on the rim but that's just an extra precaution.

plumber dude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely needs the stand reworked. Almost looks like someone at watched a YouTube video on how to weld then went for it. A square will tell you if it is plumb/square but if you are that inexperienced with fabrication of wood and metal I doubt this will mean anything.
From the photos you posted, I think that you already know the craftsmanship is questionable. I would personally scrap the stand and build a new one out of wood. All you need is a chop saw and skil saw to get straight cuts and a drill and some screws. Unless you have access to tube steel, welder, welding hood, grinders and a know a good competent welder- wood is easier. They are both easy to do and should not cost that much even if you have to pay someone to do it. I hope you take the advice and get it fixed. Generally speaking the tank should sit all the way on the flat surface. No overhanging edges or uneven gaps around the entire bottom. Good luck!

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 73 37.6%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 66 34.0%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 28 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back