First time plumbing have questions

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

Working on my first plumbing and want to make sure I do it right.

This is a complete setup that comes with flex tubing but I’m changing the drains to hard plumbing.

My question is should I use a union instead of the coupling going to the sump? Any changes you would do or recommend?

This is what is included in the kit
IMG_1201.jpeg

I’m changing to
IMG_1200.jpeg

As you can see there is a coupling attached to the sump I’m thinking to do an union there.

This is what I purchased to play/ build the plumbing. Hopefully don’t need extra as it’s metric
IMG_1187.jpeg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
90s and hard bends can be a potential for problems. If you're set on hard plumbing I'd try to use 45s and 22.5s rather than 90s as much as possible. I like hard plumbing for the return line but the flexible tubing for the drain lines works good and allows for more flexibility.

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Two things to consider. First, definitely use unions so you can have an easy “break” between the tank and sump. Personally, I’d put unions in each end of any pipe connecting between the tank and the sump. Second, flex PVC can definitely be your friend so you dont have to be perfect with all of your hard lines. Also acts as a bit of a dampener for pump vibration

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah personally any system I plumb will be done with 45’s not 90’s they restrict and lower flow so much and harder to clean

Something like this is how I’d do it. Down to a 45 and diagonal pipes to another 45 into sump. I second having a unions and you can never have too many imo. I would do one above the first 45 on in the middle of pipe to break it up and one below the last 45.

Red lines are unions.
B8011C85-1423-48AB-8070-905CAF0A74A5.jpeg

OP
OP
PR_nano

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, guys, for the feedback. I want the hard plumbing more for aesthetics.

I do have some more questions if you don't mind. When I was reading about plumbing it appeared that the 45 vs 90 was more important for the return vs the drain due to head pressure if I recall correctly. I did purchase enough 45 so it wouldn't be an issue to convert but want to understand if it's equally important for the drain. I can do 2x45 for the main and maybe do the 90 for the emergency if that helps.

I know @mike550 mentioned the vibration, but won't that be if the return was hard plumb vs the drain? My plan is to keep the soft tubing for the return at least at first since I would like to do an UV later down the road possibly inline. Also is a straight short run.

@Nick Steele I would like to keep the original pipe coming off the tank intact. I do like the idea of changing it from the threads up top but might need to get more parts. I think that layout might help for adding the UV down the line and keeping it clean looking. As it will give me more space under the drains to add the UV horizontally.

Appreciate the feedback and will go back to thinking the layout.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, if you use two 45's instead of a 90 it will have the same restrictions. 90 deg 1 foot head space each 45 1/2 head space. 2 45' will have 1 foot head space.

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes 45s are more important in return lines but in drain lines can help reduce clogs as thing don’t get stuck as easy. While working in an aquaculture facility it is very interesting what you’ll find in drain lines and most of the time clogs happen at the 90 elbows. We’ve found sponges (cleaning ones) paper towels etc all stuck in 90 elbows which would probably go right through a 45 elbow. Now in a home tank think more so like algae etc but can still happen.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but to get the same angle you’d need 2 90s which is 2’ and 2 45s is only 1’
? Unless I'm missing something it would be the other way around. Two 45' make a 90.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Spa Flex tubing for drains and I bend pvc with the help of a propane torch for returns. The sweeping bends and far fewer transitions is worth the effort.
Flow for drains is mostly a consideration of sound and 45s will definitely help. I have my returns come out 1 in below the surface which has a huge impact on noise, and the depth needs to be tuned specifically for each setup. If you have turbulent inconsistent flow it will blow out creating much more noise/very annoying surges.

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Technically, you'd use the same number of 45s as you would 90s.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello reefers,

Working on my first plumbing and want to make sure I do it right.

This is a complete setup that comes with flex tubing but I’m changing the drains to hard plumbing.

My question is should I use a union instead of the coupling going to the sump? Any changes you would do or recommend?

This is what is included in the kit
IMG_1201.jpeg

I’m changing to
IMG_1200.jpeg

As you can see there is a coupling attached to the sump I’m thinking to do an union there.

This is what I purchased to play/ build the plumbing. Hopefully don’t need extra as it’s metric
IMG_1187.jpeg
A union makes like easy as it will allow you to take plumbing apart to remove any objects such as snails and reassemble quickly and remove a pump if repair is needed.

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 27.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 35 31.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 7 6.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back