First time puffer keeper, are they always weirdos?

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquired a stars and stripes and a porcupine. Porcupine eats like a pig and won't leave me alone. I can just about pet him now. The stars and stripes finds every reason to play dead, sit on his head, and generally give me a heart attack until the blues come on.

Are they always this much of a trip? Ha! Love it I think?

Evan28395950

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One weird thing with my Puffer is when he goes into his own world and starts nipping the glass right where the sand ends, and as he does this the clownfish swarm over and surround him. I have no idea why.

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Aquired a stars and stripes and a porcupine. Porcupine eats like a pig and won't leave me alone. I can just about pet him now. The stars and stripes finds every reason to play dead, sit on his head, and generally give me a heart attack until the blues come on.

Are they always this much of a trip? Ha! Love it I think?

Some may call it weird, but most of us who keep or have kept puffers typically refer to it as "personality"! :)

They are more like "pets" than many fish and also are more prone to interact with things outside of the tank as well.

DangerDave

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One weird thing with my Puffer is when he goes into his own world and starts nipping the glass right where the sand ends, and as he does this the clownfish swarm over and surround him. I have no idea why.

I’d love to hear if someone knows what this behavior is. I used to keep puffers years ago, and they were just great fish to observe.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stars and stripes spent all day acting like he was dead. Standing on his head etc. Then tonight when the lights come on, he's out and about like he owns the place. I've had them for a week now, rehomes, and spent two weeks at a buddy in qt, I'm assuming he's acting out and settling in to my lighting, but I'm a first timer so it gave me a heart attack.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes you can pet them, tickle their bellies, and hand feed them. They will come up and spit water right in your face, yes, they are a crack up.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything other than possibly swallowing air would be beyond my understanding. And yes you can "burp" them. You can gently hold him and turn his face up towards the surface, massage his belly in a way to help him burp the air out. If he inflates don't freak out too much, making sure he is completely submersed it will be water and actually help with any dispersement of air. What are you feeding, any freeze dried foods should be avoided unless completely rehydrated.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anything other than possibly swallowing air would be beyond my understanding. And yes you can "burp" them. You can gently hold him and turn his face up towards the surface, massage his belly in a way to help him burp the air out. If he inflates don't freak out too much, making sure he is completely submersed it will be water and actually help with any dispersement of air. What are you feeding, any freeze dried foods should be avoided unless completely rehydrated.
I feed live snails, mussels, shell on shrimp. I burped him, and he tried to puff. Looks like he's got a spot of air in him so I may have to do it again. He then swam around ticked off with me and hid behind the rocks.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the 1st time I saw one of my puffers puff, it freaked me out. When he was deflating; he shook, rattled, and rolled; seemed like it took a bit of effort for him to get it all out. If he is eating and seems to be able to swim normally, it might just be one of those weird things he does. Who knows what they are really thinking being in a glass cage and all. Ingesting air really isn't good though, so keep an eye on that. Puffing isn't something to get used to either, it is a sign of stress that the source should be corrected. If he puffed a little completely submerged when you tried to burp him, that ingesting of water would help to disperse any air, if that was contributing.

OP
OP
southerntnreefer

southerntnreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah the 1st time I saw one of my puffers puff, it freaked me out. When he was deflating; he shook, rattled, and rolled; seemed like it took a bit of effort for him to get it all out. If he is eating and seems to be able to swim normally, it might just be one of those weird things he does. Who knows what they are really thinking being in a glass cage and all. Ingesting air really isn't good though, so keep an eye on that. Puffing isn't something to get used to either, it is a sign of stress that the source should be corrected. If he puffed a little completely submerged when you tried to burp him, that ingesting of water would help to disperse any air, if that was contributing.
I'm letting him chill now. Seems to breathe normally, and gives me a death stare when I make sure he's still alive when he's on his head. May need to burp him again later, but we will see. The porc just follows me around. The stars and stripes is more weird.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back