First Time Reefer: Please Critique My Potential Build List!

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO, I'd skip the mp10. I'd probably skip any wavemaker for that matter. Consider this: Wavemakers constantly change speeds. Most of them are extremely quiet in large tanks that also have skimmers and water noise from the sump drains. The problem is in a small tank, you'll hear even the quietest wavemaker far more easily. I don't care what brand it is, on thin glass and with low water volume and without other noise sources to muffle them, you can hear those pumps going "whee OOoOO Wheeeeee Wheeeeee OOOOOOoooo WHeeeEEEoOOOo". Sometimes you'll get lucky and buy a pump that ends up being dead silent. Other times, you'll notice it, which gets really annoying (Jebao, i'm looking at you). For this reason, on smaller tanks, I've always ran one or two basic ac circulation pumps like Hydor Koralias which do not change speed and if you size appropriately for the tank, won't be noticeable when running. Oh yeah, and they'll usually cost less than $100. Now people will say "Well what if you want varying flow patterns in your tank?" Simple answer: Fish in a tank swim around....typically randomly. They constantly disrupt tank flow.

ReefGeezer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefers Rule #3... If you buy cheap, you will buy twice. However the Inkbird temperature controllers break that rule. They are inexpensive, work pretty well, and last. I would recommend the MP10 or a properly sized Gyre if you intend to have an SPS dominate system. If not for SPS, you could probably get away with nothing, or a small power head. You may have to run any wave maker you buy pretty slowly. That doesn't hurt a thing. BUT... there is the Oooo-Weee sound to contend with. When running slowly, it is less noticeable. The light choice is good.

Personally, I use a Hanna ULR phosphate checker, but use Salifert kits for everything else. A cheap API ammonia test kit will be valuable early on.

I don't have any small tank skimmer experience so I'll leave that to someone else. I like skimmers, and would probably always use one for larger tanks. However, if you are going to use live rock and sand in your smaller tank, it would be possible to do without one. You would have to put your initial priority on live rock, live sand, and strategically stocking corals, inverts, and fish to maintain the tank's nutrient balance.

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the Heaters two Aqueon Presets, with a controller, such as Inkbird. Power Strip with Surge Protector, GFCI Receptacle, get one with an Audible tripped alarm. 21LED Has ReefBar Pro, and SunSetter Control for a fraction, of what your selection cost. Yes, they will grow Corals. Hydor Wave Makers just Run & Run. Combination Suction Cup/ Magnet ** keeps them in place, and you don’t need a cover over them. Try to stick to DC Pumps, so you don’t overheat during the summer time. ** I heard of Wave Pumps coming loose, in smaller tanks, and smacking the glass, till it cracks. I have a Oceanic 29, that was a Rescue Rebuild. I used a more powerful pump, than original and a Innovative Marine Spin Stream. I’m looking for a way to adjust the direction it points in though. Also an ATO, if you aren’t going to put a glass top on the tank, the Salinity can get away from you quickly. I use a Prism ATO, and it’s in a one gallon jar, Pretzels came in.

Last edited:

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 42.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 20 24.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.4%
Back