First time reefer soon to be addict!!

Texas_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys new to the hobby and I'm already loving it. I've done plenty of researching these past couple of months. I've gotta say I love all the information floating around here, I've gotta few questions myself. I got an instant urge to buy a saltwater tank and without research I bought a tank of craigslist. I know I know not the best way to get into the hobby but its been a big learning curve and i already feel a lot more confident when i finally do set up my own 90 gallon mixed reef tank.

The tank i purchased was a 40gallon tank with what seemed to be a hang on freshwater filter that some how was keeping the fish a live. The filters were completely clogged and not filtering the water at all. With my first water test revealing ridiculously high nitrate levels of 200+ ppm and undesirable nitrite levels around 1-3 ppm. I did 20% water changes for the first couple of weeks until the levels stared to drop so i did not shock the live stock. After the levels dropped considerably i did a couple 25% water changes and got the levels down to 10ppm on nitrate and 0 nitrite. In the past month i introduced some caulerpa from the lfs to the tank for a secondary nutrient reductant beside the fluval 206 canister filter I have. Well last night I noticed some micro crustaceans that i believe to be either amphipods or copepods but would like an experienced eye to confirm. As well as tell me what this unknown growth i have on my rock is, it has clear tentacles and white dots on the end.

All input is greatly appreciated! Thank you and sorry for the long post;Bookworm
IMG_0883.JPG
IMG_0884.JPG

image.png

OP
OP
Texas_Reefer

Texas_Reefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R! Pods and a ball anemone from what I can tell :)
tenor (3).gif
#WelcometoR2R

Thanks Bud!! Should I be concerned about the anemone or are they harmless? I currently have a fish only tank but would like to add a hammer once I get back from a well needed vacation next week.

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Bud!! Should I be concerned about the anemone or are they harmless? I currently have a fish only tank but would like to add a hammer once I get back from a well needed vacation next week.
Ball anemones are practically harmless. I have a few in my tank. Just make sure they dont get overpopulated :)

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome home, you will love it here!

Keep us posted with your build with tons of photos! :)

reefwiser

LMAS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the plant in the tank? This looks like
Caulerpa taxifolia
http://cisr.ucr.edu/caulerpa_taxifolia.html
Its invasive alga that once it gets it's roots in the rocks is hard to kill. You see stores sell this all the time because it is so hard to kill it is easy to sell.:) People place it in their main tank and boom Algae everywhere.:)
The problem with buying used set ups is that they are many times being sold be cause the original owner has failed at the hobby. So Then you inherit their mistakes.:)

Turbo's Aquatics

Super Duper Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
high nitrate levels of 200+ ppm and undesirable nitrite levels around 1-3 ppm

welcome to r2r,don't chase the numbers on nitrite.they are not a problem in a saltwater tank and at your levels perfectly safe.
^ beat me to it. In SW, Nitrite is not toxic until you get to something like 100ppm, but it's worth noting when you do see it because it is an indicator of a problem with your biological cycle / bacterial population. You should never have nitrite present after completing the nitrogen cycle.

Ball anemones are practically harmless.
I was going to say that you've got capacitors or 0.05W LEDs in your tank, that's the EE in me though...

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 99 86.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back