First Time Refugium Setup in sump...recommendations for Macros..

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I am setting up a Refugium for the first time in my sump. It will be in the middle compartment. I have a few small rocks already in there now, and will be using a Tunze Eco Chic 8831 Refugium Light. I was wondering if there is a certain type of Macro Algae that I should buy to put in it?

Also, what about algae growing on the sides of the chamber, etc? Will this be an issue requiring maintenance? My Skimmer will be is the left chamber...will light cause bad algae to grow on the skimmer? I do have a Red colored Sump BTW, which I think is supposed to control light in adjoining chambers, but maybe not?

Any advice before I start this up?

thanks!

ReefSkippy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, that's pretty much my set up and I put in Cheato. I also have a tunze light which I have positioned just under the surface of the water to reduce light spilling into the other compartments I haven't had issues with algae growth (yet), but maybe because the Cheato outcompetes it for nutrients? I ended up adding a bit more rock and then recently dosed it with a couple of varieties of copepods.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, that's pretty much my set up and I put in Cheato. I also have a tunze light which I have positioned just under the surface of the water to reduce light spilling into the other compartments I haven't had issues with algae growth (yet), but maybe because the Cheato outcompetes it for nutrients? I ended up adding a bit more rock and then recently dosed it with a couple of varieties of copepods.
Thanks for the advice. I like the suggestion to lower the light to limit the spread of the light since it is submersible. I did already add some Tigger Pods and will add some other species as well. Hopefully nuisance algae does not show up.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back