First time tank cycling!

Ok_cowboy1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am completely new to the hobby and recently started a 65 gallon corner flow aquarium with sump! I have 60 lbs of live rock and 40 lbs of live sand in it! It has been running since Saturday sept 3rd. My question is the tank hasn't starting cycling yet! My LFS is suggesting I put a fish in to start the cycle and I am not comfortable with that! He also recommended that I put 5 hermit crabs in as well! Again not sure if I am comfortable! I also think putting the raw shrimp is not a great idea imo! So I guess my question is how can I start my cycle! Am I better off letting time take its turn, or adding bio spire or something like that? Any suggestions or thoughts would greatly be appreciated!

cromag27

octoaquatics.com - ig = @octoaquatics. view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Exactly. since ammonia starts the cycle at a certain ppm range, why not use pure ammonia and dose it under a controlled environment?

I have done both methods of adding some food to the tank and using bottles bacteria and not work well to get the cycle going.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am completely new to the hobby and recently started a 65 gallon corner flow aquarium with sump! I have 60 lbs of live rock and 40 lbs of live sand in it! It has been running since Saturday sept 3rd. My question is the tank hasn't starting cycling yet! My LFS is suggesting I put a fish in to start the cycle and I am not comfortable with that! He also recommended that I put 5 hermit crabs in as well! Again not sure if I am comfortable! I also think putting the raw shrimp is not a great idea imo! So I guess my question is how can I start my cycle! Am I better off letting time take its turn, or adding bio spire or something like that? Any suggestions or thoughts would greatly be appreciated!
How do you know it hasn't started. Live sand live rock= cycling.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your better off letting time take its turn. Let the system brew for another 2 weeks before even considering adding a cleaning crew. 8 to 10 weeks before adding a fish.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know that it hasn't cycled! When I had water tested they were as follows, ammonia-0, nitrate-o, nitrite-5 and ph-8.0 salinity 1.023
;)
A great read and refresher.
http://www.drtimsaquatics.com/resources/how-to-start
I met The Dr too. Neat guy.
They have all the steps laid out. a bit long winded. Dr T one and only and Ammonia as everyone suggested. You can test if it has cycled and/or kick start it. imo the more diverse the bacteria the better.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 142 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 117 35.5%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back