PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 8.3 dkh
483 ppm calcium
1.025, 78 degrees

looking at what ranges “should be” I am little on low side for alkalinity and a little too high on calcium.

going to test this over next 2 weeks or so and see what ranges are. Is there something I should be worried about?

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 8.3 dkh
483 ppm calcium
1.025, 78 degrees

looking at what ranges “should be” I am little on low side for alkalinity and a little too high on calcium.

going to test this over next 2 weeks or so and see what ranges are. Is there something I should be worried about?
Your actually just about perfect. I shoot for 8.5dkh (this is so I have some wiggle room either way should I have a spike or a dip) and 420-450ppm for calcium (calcium is, IMO, much easier to keep consistent, that may be different in a larger sps dominant tank, but for all the mixed reefs I’ve kept, calcium has been fairly easy to keep stable). If I were you I would let your calcium come down a little and then just maintain your alk where it’s at (use a salt that mixes roughly to the same dkh).

In my small 28 gallon tank (probably 20g of water), I have probably 15 small corals (a mix of lps, softies, and one sps), and to maintain around 8.5dkh I have to dose around 1ml of part two daily, and to maintain calcium at around 450ppm I dose 1ml of part one twice a week (I also do a 25% water change once a week). You also want to keep an eye on your magnesium level, so far mine has been maintained with just water changes.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
8.5 is fine for alk, but you will find it can be tough to keep at that number and will almost always fall faster than calcium.

I keep calcium at 400-420 in my SPS tanks. Reefed for several decades and not found a benefit of having it higher. Doesnt hurt anything to be at 483, but its just sitting dissolved in my tank vs sitting in my calcium jar. Otherwise, no difference.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 8.3 dkh
483 ppm calcium
1.025, 78 degrees

No, nothing to be worried about, and no need for dosing. 7 dKH is perfectly fine.

OP
OP
P

PhilMStudy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you all, I really want to take a swing at some euphyllia (grape and hammer ideally), but I also want to get the parameters inline before I try something like that

although there are a couple of inexpensive cristata I keep telling myself no on right now

have 2-3 weeks off before start going back to office and really want to get this stabilized before then

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 101 86.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.6%
Back