First time using ESV B-Ionic 2-Part - Need a little help

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
So this will be the first time I have ever dosed 2-part. My tank is still new at about 5 months old. The only corals I have in there is some GSP and a random mushroom that I was given for free as "tester" corals. They are doing good. However, my alkalinity I would like to work up to 8ish dKH. I am currently at 6.9. I chose to use ESV B-ionic 2 Part Calcium Buffer system. My calcium is currently at 440. How do I go about dosing this for the first time? Just the alkalinity? Or both Alk and Calcium?

Aquarium Specialty - dry goods & marine livestock

fuelman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
With two part you will dose ALK & Cal equal, the only time you wouldn't is if say your Cal is 500+ but you still need to keep your ALK up, then you would dose just alk but otherwise always dose both parts equal. You also want to test your magnesium & make sure that doesn't get depleted if it does it will be hard to maintain stable Alk & Cal. With only a few coral you can probably maintain your mag with just water changes for now & maybe forever but as you add more coral you might need to start dosing that periodically also.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
It is a good practice to stick to equal parts dosing based on alkalinity needs unless calcium is already too high. You will hardly notice the calcium increase (about 7 ppm) associated with a 1.1 dKH increase in alkalinity.

OP
S

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
With two part you will dose ALK & Cal equal, the only time you wouldn't is if say your Cal is 500+ but you still need to keep your ALK up, then you would dose just alk but otherwise always dose both parts equal. You also want to test your magnesium & make sure that doesn't get depleted if it does it will be hard to maintain stable Alk & Cal. With only a few coral you can probably maintain your mag with just water changes for now & maybe forever but as you add more coral you might need to start dosing that periodically also.
Awesome thanks.

It is a good practice to stick to equal parts dosing based on alkalinity needs unless calcium is already too high. You will hardly notice the calcium increase (about 7 ppm) associated with a 1.1 dKH increase in alkalinity.
With having no corals really in there, can I dose this 2 part all at once? Or do I have to divide amongst a 24 hr period?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Awesome thanks.

With having no corals really in there, can I dose this 2 part all at once? Or do I have to divide amongst a 24 hr period?

I'd still spread the alk part out over about 3 doses to avoid precipitation issues. Add to a very high flow area.

Expect some normal cloudiness when you add the alk part. it will dissolve in.

Have you ever had a Angelfish in your reef tank?

• Yes and it was a model citizen (tell us which one)

Votes: 144 32.6%
  • Yes but it did nip from time to time

Votes: 62 14.0%
  • Yes but I had to remove it because it went rogue

Votes: 31 7.0%
  • No but I would like to try one

Votes: 127 28.7%
  • No and not interested

Votes: 61 13.8%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 17 3.8%
Pacific East