First time using ESV B-Ionic 2-Part - Need a little help

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this will be the first time I have ever dosed 2-part. My tank is still new at about 5 months old. The only corals I have in there is some GSP and a random mushroom that I was given for free as "tester" corals. They are doing good. However, my alkalinity I would like to work up to 8ish dKH. I am currently at 6.9. I chose to use ESV B-ionic 2 Part Calcium Buffer system. My calcium is currently at 440. How do I go about dosing this for the first time? Just the alkalinity? Or both Alk and Calcium?

fuelman

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With two part you will dose ALK & Cal equal, the only time you wouldn't is if say your Cal is 500+ but you still need to keep your ALK up, then you would dose just alk but otherwise always dose both parts equal. You also want to test your magnesium & make sure that doesn't get depleted if it does it will be hard to maintain stable Alk & Cal. With only a few coral you can probably maintain your mag with just water changes for now & maybe forever but as you add more coral you might need to start dosing that periodically also.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is a good practice to stick to equal parts dosing based on alkalinity needs unless calcium is already too high. You will hardly notice the calcium increase (about 7 ppm) associated with a 1.1 dKH increase in alkalinity.

OP
OP
sanzz18

sanzz18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With two part you will dose ALK & Cal equal, the only time you wouldn't is if say your Cal is 500+ but you still need to keep your ALK up, then you would dose just alk but otherwise always dose both parts equal. You also want to test your magnesium & make sure that doesn't get depleted if it does it will be hard to maintain stable Alk & Cal. With only a few coral you can probably maintain your mag with just water changes for now & maybe forever but as you add more coral you might need to start dosing that periodically also.
Awesome thanks.

It is a good practice to stick to equal parts dosing based on alkalinity needs unless calcium is already too high. You will hardly notice the calcium increase (about 7 ppm) associated with a 1.1 dKH increase in alkalinity.
With having no corals really in there, can I dose this 2 part all at once? Or do I have to divide amongst a 24 hr period?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome thanks.

With having no corals really in there, can I dose this 2 part all at once? Or do I have to divide amongst a 24 hr period?

I'd still spread the alk part out over about 3 doses to avoid precipitation issues. Add to a very high flow area.

Expect some normal cloudiness when you add the alk part. it will dissolve in.

JLau

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dosing b ionic 2 part equally in my 120g mixed reef tank. My calcium has gone over 500. My Alk is struggling to stay between 8.0-8.4. I was dosing equal parts of both at 25mL/day. Should I cut back off the Ca until it’s closer to 450? Dose only 1/2 of part 2? Why would the Ca run up like that?

I dose both part by hand could this be a user error? I keep a fan in the return chamber where I dose to. Personally I don’t like the idea of coral being hit by the dissipating cloud which is why I use the return chamber. I appreciate any help and insight on this issue.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been dosing b ionic 2 part equally in my 120g mixed reef tank. My calcium has gone over 500. My Alk is struggling to stay between 8.0-8.4. I was dosing equal parts of both at 25mL/day. Should I cut back off the Ca until it’s closer to 450? Dose only 1/2 of part 2? Why would the Ca run up like that?

I dose both part by hand could this be a user error? I keep a fan in the return chamber where I dose to. Personally I don’t like the idea of coral being hit by the dissipating cloud which is why I use the return chamber. I appreciate any help and insight on this issue.

Yes, cut back on the calcium part.

Could be user error, or could be other sources of alk demand that do not involve calcium, such as rising nitrate or using a sulfur denitrator. Could also be the salt mix or unusually high salinity.

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, cut back on the calcium part.

Could be user error, or could be other sources of alk demand that do not involve calcium, such as rising nitrate or using a sulfur denitrator. Could also be the salt mix or unusually high salinity.
So I run a denitrator and always need to dose more alk to keep levels stable. Is it ok to dose more alk daily? Or would I dose equal parts of ESV 2 part and then another alk product either carbonate or bicarbanate to raise alk due to denitrator consuming a lot more alk.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I run a denitrator and always need to dose more alk to keep levels stable. Is it ok to dose more alk daily? Or would I dose equal parts of ESV 2 part and then another alk product either carbonate or bicarbanate to raise alk due to denitrator consuming a lot more alk.

What type of denitrator? Sulfur denitrators deplete alk while carbon denitrators do not.

In any case, dosing unequal parts is ok.

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What type of denitrator? Sulfur denitrators deplete alk while carbon denitrators do not.

Sulfur Denitrator. i also dose carbon, nopox, so combo of the 2 keep my nitrates in check. I was needed to dose too much nopox alone and getting pink slime bacterial in powerheads and sump so I added denitrator to be able to lower nopox dosing. Works very well.

stephanjupillat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

I actually use TM all for reef and use calcium level as the deciding factor on how much I dose daily. Then BRS sodium carbanate to increase alk. Wasn’t sure if I should change that to TM balling step B for alk, or maybe just change it all over to ESV.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually use TM all for reef and use calcium level as the deciding factor on how much I dose daily. Then BRS sodium carbanate to increase alk. Wasn’t sure if I should change that to TM balling step B for alk, or maybe just change it all over to ESV.

ESV is no worse and likely better in this application.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 32 17.7%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 31 17.1%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 33 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 77 42.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back