First Time with Cyano - 10 month old tank

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. so my tank is about 10 months old - 90gl reef. I recently did a couple water changes where I siphoned into my 1-2 inch sand bed and now have Cyano. I have it on a couple spots on the rock and as you can see, on the sandbed. I am ready to do a water change and plan to siphon / skim across the sand bed to remove what I can, as part of water change.

My question is...I have a portable filter sock mount and sock. If I were to siphon the cyano areas through the filter sock and into my sump, will the sock capture the Cyano, or am I basically putting bad water right back into the tank? Obviously new water avoids this, but but quicker reaction every couple days, I am wondering if this is an option. I am curious if anyone else has done this approach..and if it works..

thanks!
IMG_9101.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Siphon up well, keep white light intensity low and add liquid bacteria at 1ml per gallons during the day and 1.5ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons at night both for about a week, in which it will subside
Thereafter, add some snails such as:
Margarita
Astrea
Trochus
Nerite

These will maintain control of remainder

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Siphon up well, keep white light intensity low and add liquid bacteria at 1ml per gallons during the day and 1.5ml of hydrogen peroxide per 10 gallons at night both for about a week, in which it will subside
Margarita
Astrea
Trochus
Nerite

Thanks for the quick reply. Couple questions:
1.) Should I just siphon the top level (1/8" of sand bed or go deeper?
2.) addition of Hydro peroxide...will this harm anything else in my tank?
3.) I run a UV and skimmer...is it ok to leave UV running?...I assume Skimmer =yes

Thanks for your input

Scotts210g

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had that same experience. However mine was a result of dosing amino acids. I agree you can vacuum those up, however, I would also look at nutrient levels as well. Also over skimming. I protein skim for only 12 hours per day along with limited UV sterilizer. I went to this schedule when this started to develop along with bubble algae. Glass cleaning has gone down significantly as well.

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Margarita
Astrea
Trochus
Nerite

Hello. When I do this treatment with hydrogen peroxide should I have my skimmer and UV running?

fushi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hello. so my tank is about 10 months old - 90gl reef. I recently did a couple water changes where I siphoned into my 1-2 inch sand bed and now have Cyano. I have it on a couple spots on the rock and as you can see, on the sandbed. I am ready to do a water change and plan to siphon / skim across the sand bed to remove what I can, as part of water change.

My question is...I have a portable filter sock mount and sock. If I were to siphon the cyano areas through the filter sock and into my sump, will the sock capture the Cyano, or am I basically putting bad water right back into the tank? Obviously new water avoids this, but but quicker reaction every couple days, I am wondering if this is an option. I am curious if anyone else has done this approach..and if it works..

thanks
I haven’t tried it but @DrTim has a program for cyano, I haven’t tried it but I also haven’t needed to. Years ago I had cyano and used chemiclean but it killed some things in my tank.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

thanks!
IMG_9101.jpg
The filamentous cyanobacteria that grow in our tanks are strands of individual cells The filter sock could do a good job catching the filaments and the films. The individual cells or small pieces of filament could slip through. Siphoning the substate is likely breaking up the filaments and spreading them anyway. I would give the sock a try, quit if looks like your causing a plague of cyanobacteria.

Just curious, what are you dosing to your system?

OP
OP
J

joe-ejs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The filamentous cyanobacteria that grow in our tanks are strands of individual cells The filter sock could do a good job catching the filaments and the films. The individual cells or small pieces of filament could slip through. Siphoning the substate is likely breaking up the filaments and spreading them anyway. I would give the sock a try, quit if looks like your causing a plague of cyanobacteria.

Just curious, what are you dosing to your system?
Hi Dan-P
I have been dosing Reef Roids 1x/week. My issue seems to be a result of 0 Nitrate and 0 Phosphates, both measured with Hanna Test Kits. I had recently siphoned my sand bed during water change which I believe triggered my issue.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Dan-P
I have been dosing Reef Roids 1x/week. My issue seems to be a result of 0 Nitrate and 0 Phosphates, both measured with Hanna Test Kits. I had recently siphoned my sand bed during water change which I believe triggered my issue.
I have a theory :)

”What caused today’s problem happened a month ago”.

I am specifically thinking about biofilms, and in this case photosynthetic biofilms. These things don’t change at the drop of a hat. The cyanobacteria biofilm on your sand is, according to my conjecture, a result of something that happened or started to happen weeks ago which nudged the biofilm to start favoring cyanobacteria growth.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 78 86.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back