First Timer with Fluval Evo 13.5

SohCahToa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After years of big freshwater tanks, I’ve decided to start a small saltwater tank. Since I’m brand new, I figured I’d make a thread for any advice or feedback I could possibly get. Also, updating here could give me an easy place to check out my progress. In true form, I began this explaining to my fiancé I was just going to buy an AIO and keep it stock. You know, low cost until I figure out what I’m doing! So here’s a list of upgrades I’ve already made:

- chamber 1 basket with some floss, carbon, and extra rings for some bio media
- chamber 2 is empty
- chamber 3 will be getting the sicce 1 installed tomorrow. I also ordered the 1/2” single RFG to replace the dual 1/4” stock one.

I’m currently cycling with Dr Tim’s, and putting a little pinch of food in daily. I’ve also heard stability will help, but I’m on the fence about that. I used live sand, and dry life rock.

My plan here for stocking is simple. I would like to have a couple clowns (not sure exactly which ones, any recommendations would be great), maybe a goby, and a clean up crew (which I would also need recommendations for as I have no idea what would be a cool and effective combo). No plans for coral just yet, as I would really like to be able to just keep some fish alive for a bit before I dive into that. Ideally I would like to get a nem for the clowns, but I’m not sure how doable that is in this tank.

so anyway, here’s a picture of the start. Any and every recommendation received is greatly appreciated!

IMG_5599.jpeg

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A pair of clowns and you are fully stocked (it’s actually too small for an adult pair of most clowns). Unless they are tiny and you plan to upgrade tanks within a year. Also, clowns can be very aggressive in such a small tank.

You can get lots of snails and small hermit crabs (15-30 depending on type).

Wait a minimum of a year after cycling before even thinking about an anemone. Occasionally it works out sooner, but that is the exception.

As far as equipment, the only other thing I consider a must have is an inkbird heater controller. Heaters have the highest failure rate of all equipment and can nearly boil such a small tank.
Happy reefing!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.7%
Back