First Trachy. Looked bleached in store but great deal and could not pass it up. Opinions....

ewoolpert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went into the store with no plans, but this Trachyphyllia caught my eye and I loved the pastel colors and the price. Granted it was more then I have spent or would spend on a single coral, but I could not leave without it. I figured it was a little bleached out since it was in the same rack and par level as every other coral from zoa's to SPS. I wondered if someone with more Trachy experience could let me know if this will slowly come back to color and has any advice going forward. It has been in my tank now for over a week and is doing good and I have fed it once and it loved it. I am just curious if anyone else's experience with the colors it is showing and what the price should have been.
1000002170.jpg

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one looks like it’s going to be ok to me. I have a few Trachys in the bottom of my reef. Lower light and moderate flow do the trick. Mine like to eat zooplankton at night. They’re pretty resilient corals if you feed them and don’t over-illuminate them.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They prefer Low light. Looks like it’s on sandbed that’s ideal placement. Color can return in time as long as conditions are good. I would feed 2–3 times a week

Even though a little pale, the colors are very nice. Price varies - if it’s worth it to you then you got a deal :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
ewoolpert

ewoolpert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That one looks like it’s going to be ok to me. I have a few Trachys in the bottom of my reef. Lower light and moderate flow do the trick. Mine like to eat zooplankton at night. They’re pretty resilient corals if you feed them and don’t over-illuminate them.
Yeah it is under low par now but the store had it in the same par as SPS so now I wait to see what it looks like when it's colors adjust.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every coral is unique but this one has similar colors except yours has green mouth area

Attachments

• 189C548D-C1C5-492F-A6CF-336883E0CC9B.png
    189C548D-C1C5-492F-A6CF-336883E0CC9B.png
    715.2 KB · Views: 23

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a dealer who is very good, and he sells them like the one in my photo. I never was sure if they were bleached or just a pale variety, but he doesn’t sell anything unhealthy

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 94 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back