coral that is bleaching and wondering why

Noodles_Jefferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone help me identify what type of coral this is? I assume it's an LPS. Anyway, it started bleaching when my calcium dropped into the low 3's for a time and I was neglecting to test. I have since fixed the calcium problem. It's about 8 inches from the led lights (running at 70% blue, 70% white, 20% green and red each). Decent flow in that area of the tank but not strong flow. Wondering if it can be saved or if it is on it's way out.
IMG_0817.jpg

OP
OP
N

Noodles_Jefferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
for context, here is a pic of the whole tank. As you can see, the rest of the corals are doing great. Some are even spreading. this is a 29 gallon tank so i would estimate that this guy is about 7 to 8 " from the LEDs.

IMG_0797.jpg

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what it is based on the picture.
From my experience when coral partially dies algae will infect the dead portion (exposed skeleton) and it will slowly kills the coral. If you remove the dead portion (if possible) that can help the coral heal.

Good luck,

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every night when the lights are out and you’re asleep. That Bubble coral has the ability to send out long sweeper tentacles and sting nearby corals. Coral placement is really important.

OP
OP
N

Noodles_Jefferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every night when the lights are out and you’re asleep. That Bubble coral has the ability to send out long sweeper tentacles and sting nearby corals. Coral placement is really important.
holy crap I think you're on to something because this started around the same time I rearranged the corals after buying a couple of new ones. The bubble used to be all the way on the left side. I'll move it and see what happens. Hopefully it can recover. I need to move my tank to a new stand anyway so I'll do it this weekend.

OP
OP
N

Noodles_Jefferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I moved the bubble to the other side of the tank and the bleaching part seems to have stopped spreading. I appreciate the feedback. Can anyone tell me what type of coral it is? if this one doesn't make it I would like to replace it with the same thing.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 140 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.1%
Back