First Try at Culturing Copepods

Zephrant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For harvesting, you have two options. Harvest when you need them, or wait until you look in the culture and think “Wow, that’s a lot of pods!”. Harvesting too early just means it will take longer for them to recover.

Tisbe breed fast and furious, doesn’t take long to get to a full culture. Tiggers are much slower, and max out at a much lower density.

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you use for lighting? How long

I'm using the tank and light from this kit:

Aqua Culture Aquarium Starter Kit with LED, 5-Gallon
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Aqua-Culture-Aquarium-Starter-Kit-with-LED-5-Gallon/20693704

I leave it on 24/7 and I do not use a heater just an air pump and my culture has been doing well so far. After about the 2.5 week mark is when I noticed the culture getting bigger, almost daily it seems. I have not harvested any yet because I didn't want to thin out my culture and slow down the growing but I might harvest some tomorrow since the culture is looking healthy.

drevalenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice mine was doing really well and the water got really bad so I changed it, and since then I have seen nothing, guess I need to start over

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice mine was doing really well and the water got really bad so I changed it, and since then I have seen nothing, guess I need to start over
I've only had my set up for about 3 weeks. What was the time frame on your water change? How did you do your water change? I started my 5 gallon tank about 1/3 way full and have been adding water to it to lower any ammonia levels instead of doing a water change and cleaning the tank. I know it's inevitable so just wondering what you did and what you think might have gone wrong.

20180713_235932.jpg

drevalenz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow looks good. I syringed out anything moving, down to the debris in the water. Then added that to a new tank and added a bit more salt water. Should have just left the dirty water, but my air stone was creating foaming bubbles on top surface. That’s the main reason I changed it

D. Torres

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 29.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 35.4%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 27.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back