First zoas - air exposure

nopenotpeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone!

I've started my first reef tank, got my first batch of corals and looking to add a couple zoas. They should be coming today but I have a concern after reading up on palytoxins. I have nitrile gloves, I have eye protection and a n95 mask. Though I've heard it's bad for them to be exposed to air. How would one recommend moving them from the bucket (that I'll empty the bag into that they come in) and the tank? Or does it require a significant amount of air exposure?

I get unnecessary anxiety about things sometimes and I may be overthinking it. Just want to make sure I'm safe!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey everyone!

I've started my first reef tank, got my first batch of corals and looking to add a couple zoas. They should be coming today but I have a concern after reading up on palytoxins. I have nitrile gloves, I have eye protection and a n95 mask. Though I've heard it's bad for them to be exposed to air. How would one recommend moving them from the bucket (that I'll empty the bag into that they come in) and the tank? Or does it require a significant amount of air exposure?

I get unnecessary anxiety about things sometimes and I may be overthinking it. Just want to make sure I'm safe!
Unless you’re cutting them or mishandling them- no need to worry
Wash hands well after handling

trsmith18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issue exposing them to air for survivability. from acclimating them, dipping them and removing them from the frag plug; I expose them to air several times.

If your concerned about toxins just dont crush, smash or cut them and then touch your skin. Wear protection.

OP
OP
nopenotpeter

nopenotpeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you’re cutting them or mishandling them- no need to worry
Wash hands well after handling
Awesome, thanks again! I know you've commented on my threads before and I really appreciate all your help and feedback from a fellow Wisconsinte!

OP
OP
nopenotpeter

nopenotpeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No issue exposing them to air for survivability. from acclimating them, dipping them and removing them from the frag plug; I expose them to air several times.

If your concerned about toxins just dont crush, smash or cut them and then touch your skin. Wear protection.
I've never removed my corals from frag plugs to be honest, mostly because I was afraid of harming them. Would you recommend removing Zoas from their plugs and gluing them directly to the rock?

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've never removed my corals from frag plugs to be honest, mostly because I was afraid of harming them. Would you recommend removing Zoas from their plugs and gluing them directly to the rock?
I always leave them on the frag plugs because I mount the frag plug to the rock and as the Zoa grow I could then remove the frag plug leaving the door on the rock and move the plug somewhere else to continue the process. A lot of people do you like to remove them but I found it not necessary unless you really don’t like seeing the frag plug but eventually it gets covered over anyways

trsmith18

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I despise seeing frag plugs in tanks, person preference. I also remove all coral to minimize pest transmission. Most pests/eggs tend to be around the base of the corals at the interface with the plug.

Id rather lose a polyp or two and have the LR ruble look better and minimize pest transmission FWIW.

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the zoas are directly on the plug, I would not try taking them off being new to them. If they are on a little rock on the plug, take them off the plug and put on rock you want them to grow out on.
I also hate plugs. For zoas, sometimes it is easier to cut the plug around the zoas instead of removing them from the plug. Need a goo bone cutters for this job.

OP
OP
nopenotpeter

nopenotpeter

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just arrived an hour or so ago! Finally got them in and they've already opened up a bit. Thanks for the quick responses everyone!

Attachments

• 1652203859619.png
    1652203859619.png
    975 KB · Views: 28

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 71 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 67 32.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back