List of potential “airborne” dangers (to humans) from reef tanks?

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really hoping Randy will see this.. but I’m curious what potential dangers can emit from a reef tank.. not from stirring up the components, but merely existing in stasis..

Maybe..
Salt water ingredients
Some unique bacteria fuming in the air
Plumbing or tubing emission
Unique chemical/gas emission with the tank acting as a “humidifier”

unnecessary backing to question below…

When I get near the tank, my face starts to burn. No rash. No coughing, wheezing, sneezing. Only time it seems to happen. Feels like a chemical peel.

It could be coincidental or some sort of unique first nightmare exposure. I’m aware of hydrogen sulfide, but from what I’ve seen, unless you’ve had direct exposure from a gas exchange, like stirring up a DSB, then there should not be a level of H2S free floating in the air, to the point of causing irritation to a person.

I “eliminated” the led lights as and issue to the skin, as I have bought diffusers and limited exposure. and my face doesn’t get red, just burns and hot, no rash. I have hypersensitive smell capabilities and the sump seems to hit hard when opening the doors. Tried creams and lotions to rebuild skin barrier.

I’ve seen a doctor and dermatologist, but no rash, allergy reactions or redness.. so no answer except coincidental auto-immune or environmental.

Nothing crazy in sump, just mechanical filtration (skimmer) and a bag of carbon. Tank is rock, clowns, mushrooms, hermits and a couple snails..

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I sometimes get a rash on the insides of my forearms from going in the tank but can’t imagine any airborne “ volatile” from saltwater … I take it you are inland and not near either coast?

OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No skimmer?

What type of lighting?

How fast does this effect come on when being near the tank?

Can you list everything you dose or feed?

Simplicity skimmer
2 Noopsyche LEDs
I notice it within maybe a minute of contact or if I stay in the room for an extended amount of time (room is large, roughly 600 sq ft with tall vaulted ceilings)
I only feed frozen brine cubes, with a drop or 2 of Selcon, once a day at 7-8pm

Just to add, the LFS I go to, when I’m in there my eyes start somewhat burning/drying out. Maybe I’m cursed with a bizarre saltwater allergy/reaction

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No skimmer?

What type of lighting?

How fast does this effect come on when being near the tank?

Can you list everything you dose or feed?

Also burning sensation lasts about 2-3 hours and then can subside, but could last longer. Could be coincidental, but the fact that any time I enter the tank room (living room) I’m hit with it the most often and quickly

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer, and to a small extent, other places bubbles are popping will launch droplets of water into the air, and those droplets contain everything in the tank water.

Based on the speed of action, it sounds more like an allergy to toxin than a bacterial infection issue.

Any chance you can hook up some sort of air exhaust system to the skimmer outlet and/or the whole sump area?

I did that in my basement fish area for humidity reasons.

I took a loose Home Depot bathroom exhaust fan and ducted it through part of a basement window.

I blocked the intake of the fan with a piece of wood with largish round holes drilled in it.

I stuck lengths of corrugated tubing and stuck one end in each hole and the other end wherever I wanted to suck air from, which included my skimmer exhaust, and inside of each closed section of my sumps and refugia.

OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow I sometimes get a rash on the insides of my forearms from going in the tank but can’t imagine any airborne “ volatile” from saltwater … I take it you are inland and not near either coast?
I’m in Alabama. Use an RODI and Fritz RPM for salt. I have had a burn/red patch from my forearm sort of sliding on the rim, when reaching very low, maybe pressed against some salt creep. I’ve been pretty thorough with PPE I have some tear proof shoulder sleeves, tunze liners and wear nitrile gloves when touching any equipment.

But yea no zoas or know palytoxin exposure. No rash, redness or breathing problem.. like you’d I guess typically see in a contact reaction. Just weird.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reaction to freshly made saltwater?

OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A skimmer, and to a small extent, other places bubbles are popping will launch droplets of water into the air, and those droplets contain everything in the tank water.

Based on the speed of action, it sounds more like an allergy to toxin than a bacterial infection issue.

Any chance you can hook up some sort of air exhaust system to the skimmer outlet and/or the whole sump area?

I did that in my basement fish area for humidity reasons.

I took a loose Home Depot bathroom exhaust fan and ducted it through part of a basement window.

I blocked the intake of the fan with a piece of wood with largish round holes drilled in it.

I stuck lengths of corrugated tubing and stuck one end in each hole and the other end wherever I wanted to suck air from, which included my skimmer exhaust, and inside of each closed section of my sumps and refugia.
Thanks Randy! Yea I might can DIY a window exhaust. I’ve even run a giant HEPA filter (“air purifier)” right beside the tank. Could it be catalyzing the irritant spread in the air? I was hoping it would have solved it.

Doc wants me to try a steroid, to eliminate autoimmune, but they suppress the immune system, and I am timid to potential subject myself to more complications, if it’s not that.

I know it’s a reach, but I figured I’d get an experts opinion to help narrow it down. None of it started until the tank was setup so

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Randy! Yea I might can DIY a window exhaust. I’ve even run a giant HEPA filter (“air purifier)” right beside the tank. Could it be catalyzing the irritant spread in the air? I was hoping it would have solved it.

Doc wants me to try a steroid, to eliminate autoimmune, but they suppress the immune system, and I am timid to potential subject myself to more complications, if it’s not that.

I know it’s a reach, but I figured I’d get an experts opinion to help narrow it down. None of it started until the tank was setup so

I doubt a hepa catalyzes anything. It will remove particulates, but not gases, and a liquid droplet landing on it will likely evaporate and may release trapped gases. Small enough droplets will not be removed by a hepa filter.

OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been to the beach? Do you have any reaction there?
Nope, no beach contact since 09/2023. I’ll be re-exposed in May of this year to test it out. If it is the water, it would be a newly developed issue.. I will say though.. I went on a cruise on the 09/2023 exposure Costa Maya (snorkeling), Cozumel, Belize (big reef snorkeling).. after the trip, I had fulness issues in my ears, developed tinnitus, and it never went away. Maybe my body is like.. stay away from the salt!!

OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt a hepa catalyzes anything. It will remove particulates, but not gases, and a liquid droplet landing on it will likely evaporate and may release trapped gases. Small enough droplets will not be removed by a hepa filter.
I gotcha. I will move it, just incase it’s getting some splash debris, see what I can do about an exhaust, if not I’ll move it into the garage office and see what happens.. but moving that big thing will be a misery lol

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reactions to cyanobacteria toxins are a big deal, and it may be related to that. They are not gases, but could be in suspended droplets.

OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any reaction to freshly made saltwater?
Maybe a hint of some dry skin or eyes, but I wash my hands/arms off immediately with hose or faucet water.. and somewhat hold my breath/exhale only to limit exposure.

I mix the salt in the garage, in a lid-ed Brute.. I was wondering if maybe the salt was bad and humidifying in some way, but I don’t notice the same thing as display tank/sump exposure

OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Did they ever test you for allergies? I’d see an allergist. Our bodies are very weird. And I learned quickly there isn’t always an answer and there are some very weird diseases and allergies not typical or common. Like people can be allergic to water.

OP
OP
O

onlyreefers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reactions to cyanobacteria toxins are a big deal, and it may be related to that. They are not gases, but could be in suspended droplets.

Would such a bloom or cyanos be visible. I have diatoms and some hair algae. I used dry rock and dr tims to start the cycle.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 51 73.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back