OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good idea using the media chamber for your skimmer, plenty of room for the fuge now.
Thanks, i'm really trying to design this system to be as simple as possible, i want to utilise the benefits of macro algae rather then relying on disposable resins to control nutrients. By moving my skimmer in to the next chamber i have given myself a 18' x 23' refugium.

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is great following along I’m in Sydney where are you? I am trying to build almost exactly the same set up - going with the Illumagics with two vitamins strips.

Going custom on the tank though hope it works out...

am intending to potentially set up auto water changes with versas.

Can you show your smart aqua ato system i would like to do something similar.

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow this is great following along I’m in Sydney where are you? I am trying to build almost exactly the same set up - going with the Illumagics with two vitamins strips.

Hi mate.
I'm in Newcastle
I was going to go custom also but time to plan it wasn't on my side so i went with the all in one CADE. if you are going 5-6ft custom, i have a beautiful Ghost overflow from Modular Marine i imported from the US that i never used. PM me if interested.

The Vitaminis are great, ill be adding 2 once i am ready for corals.

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

@nornicle Here is how i set up my Auto shut off valve.

I have mounted the tiny controller behind my reservoir. the cable coming in from the top is the solenoid, the two coming out the bottom is the optical sensor and the power supply.

1588054509939.png

I have the optical sensor mounted in my RO reservoir. I was surprised how strong the mounting magnet was, would easily work on 15-19mm glass.

1588054459816.png

I installed the solenoid in between my carbon filter and the membrane.

1588054636660.png

Capture.PNG

When the unit is powered up, it will hold open the solenoid to let flow through to the reservoir. Once the optical sensor is trigger or the controller loses power, it will close. i have tested the optical sensor in a few different scenarios and it is very reliable. I even tried to submerge it magnet side first and it still closed the valve. I'm very happy with it and would recommend it to anyone.

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wanted to show how i mounted my fuge light. There is a 20mm lip that goes all the way around the inside of the aulminium stand.
I used some 20x20mm aluminium angle, cut to the internal width of the stand.
This gets rid of those goose necks that are always in the way. It allowed use the hanging kit for the AI fuge without drilling in to the frame.
1588057235500.png

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I inquire how far away your top up reservoir is, my rodi will be 8 metres away so too far for smart aqua I think.

Phillthy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the tank. Very nice. I hope nobody storms through that door to the right and hits it. I noticed your getting alot of output on the rodi system. What is that system rated for gpd? Amd do you have a pressure gauge ? If so jw what pressure your getting. Thanks

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the tank. Very nice. I hope nobody storms through that door to the right and hits it. I noticed your getting alot of output on the rodi system. What is that system rated for gpd? Amd do you have a pressure gauge ? If so jw what pressure your getting. Thanks
Rated for 100 gal per day @60psi, but my mains pressure is about 80-90psi on a bad day, so I think I would be getting quite a bit more than that.
The door scared me as well. As soon as the tank was set up, i installed a steel door stop that is bolted to the floor.

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I inquire how far away your top up reservoir is, my rodi will be 8 metres away so too far for smart aqua I think.
My reservoir is built in to the back of the tank and is gravity fed in to the sump. You can use the auto aqua ATOs with any pump you like, not just the ones that come with it.

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow! I'm debating between a Cade and Waterbox but after seeing your tank I might go with a Cade now! Beautiful tank and build!
Highly recommend them mate. I find the sump design is a lot better on the equivalent size CADE. The aluminium and glass stand is also really nice, never need to worry about water damage.

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, will you be putting anything in the media chambers?
So i removed the media baskets and put my skimmer in there to allow me to utilize the largest section as my refugium. I have my filter media in my filter cups and sitting in the return chamber. I also added the weir comb to try and keep the chaeto in. My only concern is micro bubbles making their way in to the DT, but we will see how we go once the cycle is done.
1588114179417.png

AlgaeBarn

Marine Aquariums Made Easy!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So i removed the media baskets and put my skimmer in there to allow me to utilize the largest section as my refugium. I have my filter media in my filter cups and sitting in the return chamber. I also added the weir comb to try and keep the chaeto in. My only concern is micro bubbles making their way in to the DT, but we will see how we go once the cycle is done.
1588114179417.png
I love how this is looking :)

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i am playing catch up here. The cycle was started on 11th of April, 19 days ago. I used a 16oz bottle of Dr Tim's one and only to start the cycles. I let that cycle through the tank for 5-6 hours before adding ammonia chloride. I slowly raised ammonia as i didn't want to overdose it and risk stalling the cycle. I got to 1.5ppm on salifert and between 2-4ppm on API so i was happy with that.
But since then i have not seen any change. i was expecting to see ammonia drop by now, but being a bare bottom with dry rock i know it was going to take longer then normal. I have a bit of a bacteria bloom happening. I am also only turning the lights on for photos. I'm going to try wait out the ugly period as long as possible.

1588115190581.png

Day 1
1588115249576.png

Day 19
1588115277170.png

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love how this is looking :)
Thanks, these are fantastic tanks and i'm sure they are going to be popular in the US once things get back to normal. Adam Dalton has done a great job!
I wish we could get some of your products over here in Australia. There is no such thing clean chaeto here, its dump and prey unfortunately.

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, these are fantastic tanks and i'm sure they are going to be popular in the US once things get back to normal. Adam Dalton has done a great job!
I wish we could get some of your products over here in Australia. There is no such thing clean chaeto here, its dump and prey unfortunately.
yep, and there is next to no information on QT'ing chaeto

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1588114179417.png
what are you using to cover the light?

Back