Firthy's CADE 1500 from downunder

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found your thread searching for cable management ideas in my upcoming upgrade. Tank looks really nice, great ideas for cable management as well!

Peach02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the ai prime problems, have you considered running a refugium with another light instead of moving to a algae scrubber?

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about the ai prime problems, have you considered running a refugium with another light instead of moving to a algae scrubber?
I have, I just kept getting so much GHA and cyano all through my sump i thought I might try something that contains the light a bit better. Problem is, it's just another piece of equipment to maintain and fit in to the sump. Looking at the illumagic blaze X mini light as well as the kessil. I might even try a cheap eBay grow light before I pull the trigger on the A.S.

GBRsouth

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have, I just kept getting so much GHA and cyano all through my sump i thought I might try something that contains the light a bit better. Problem is, it's just another piece of equipment to maintain and fit in to the sump. Looking at the illumagic blaze X mini light as well as the kessil. I might even try a cheap eBay grow light before I pull the trigger on the A.S.

I've seen others using a 5 gallon bucket as a light contained refugium in their sump. It has an inlet pipe that feeds down to near the bottom of the bucket fed by a pump from the sump. It has an outlet overflow pipe near the top of the bucket. The lid has a hole for the light to shine into the bucket.

This would contain any nuisance algae/cyano from the rest of the sump and the whole bucket could be removed for cleaning.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, I switched from refugium to a santa montica surf scrubber and I have no regrets (other than I kinda wish I'd purchased a larger one now that I'm going to be changing tanks). They have a number of different styles so you can pick what works best for your sump setup (floating, standing, hang on, etc).

I got the surf because I don't have a lot of height in the current setup and that meant refugium lights are way too close. I had gha & corraline growing everywhere in my sump.

nornicle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used the light focusing/ shade on the AI Prime Fuge, it’s not perfect parts of my roller mat and a bit of my skimmer now host algae, but its mostly in the fuge area.

VermontReefs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the solid build info! My Cade 1200 has been in my garage for the past 5 months and I'm about to start the build! Had to to wait for "farming season aka growing season to end here in VT lol. Would love to see an update if you have one! Thx

jp_75

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To make the sump look a little cleaner, i decided to pull it out and put some white sign writing vinyl on the back, side and base. It was quite an awkward task doing it alone. But i managed and didn't break anything. I think it looks much better.

1586295685945.png

1586295710244.png

Where did you get that white vinyl? Is it cut and caulk?

I have also ordered the first lot of my equipment, hopefully that will be here in a day or two:D

oldmonk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Firthy 13, How's your experience with the Illumagic light? i mean the spread, user friendlyness, etc? Actually i am also going in for Cade 1500 but thats early next year, so i still have some time to decide on the lights. So would like to know yr opnion.
My other options are
1. Mitras
2. Giesemann Aurora V8( not much real user reviews tho)

Reefer825

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
Hi all, i have spent the day sorting out my controller cabinet. Mainly organizing cables and trying to get everything neat to somewhat satisfy my OCD.
1588918056533.png

1588918023595.png

1588918082835.png
How were you able to mount the power blocks to the ceiling of the control side cabinet? I've been trying to figure out how to tidy mine up. It's driving me crazy. Your build is great!!
Thank You

Reefer825

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 50%
1   1   0
My Cade SR 900 arrived today. Stand is definitely built well compared to others. I am a little concerned with hanging stuff on the board with the built in electrical. Guess I was just expecting it to be sturdier. Excited to get started with it.
The board is thin and flimsy feeling but it'll definitely hold whatever you need to mount to it.

Attachments

• 20211107_193451.jpg
    20211107_193451.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 55

DanM1029

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using the filter socks? Is there any way to modify this sump to put in a filter roller?

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 40 41.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 21 21.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 35.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.1%
Back