OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s concerning have you talked to cade support about it?
It's not a concern for me at all. All rimless tanks have a slight bow them, unless you go extreme with the glass thickness which then makes them too expensive to be competitive in a retail environment. And Cade have been making tanks for 10+ years and never have I heard of any failures or issues with the tank themselves.

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks, im still debating waterbox or this.. the biggest win for me is the stand.
Oh, the stand is flawless. The glass doors look great and so easy to clean. The Hindes won't rust and very sturdy. And the levelling feet are so robust compared to those small plastic ones found on the WB and RS

shnapper20

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my second attempt at putting a royal gramma through TTM has been much more successful. He is on to his last transfer before put in the QT tank for a week or so. While he was going through TTM, i also used General cure on the second and fifth transfers. He is eating Mysis sparingly, hopefully once in QT i can get him eating pellets.
The two clowns in the Display tank are going well, a 150G is a big tank for two sub 1in fish. Pics to come.

I'm still deciding what direction i want to go in regards to coral. The dream was always 100% SPS but with zero experience with keeping them, i'm thinking that may not be a great idea. I may start off with some digi and stags and see how they go initially.
hi Firthy13 I too am from oz and have a Pro Reef 1800 S2 ordered. I had envisaged doing the tank transfer method on my fish when the time comes with freshwater dips in between transfers. What is this general cure you mention in your post?

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, the stand is flawless. The glass doors look great and so easy to clean. The Hindes won't rust and very sturdy. And the levelling feet are so robust compared to those small plastic ones found on the WB and RS

My Cade SR 900 arrived today. Stand is definitely built well compared to others. I am a little concerned with hanging stuff on the board with the built in electrical. Guess I was just expecting it to be sturdier. Excited to get started with it.

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi Firthy13 I too am from oz and have a Pro Reef 1800 S2 ordered. I had envisaged doing the tank transfer method on my fish when the time comes with freshwater dips in between transfers. What is this general cure you mention in your post?
General Cure is an API product that contains both Prazi and Metro making is very easy to treat a wide array of issues.
I wish i went the 1800, but where does it stop? You always want a bigger tank. But overall, i'm extremely happy with the 1500. perfect balance between being able to keep most fish, but water changes and maintenance isn't too big of a task.

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Cade SR 900 arrived today. Stand is definitely built well compared to others. I am a little concerned with hanging stuff on the board with the built in electrical. Guess I was just expecting it to be sturdier. Excited to get started with it.
Yeah that board did feel it could be better, but i have 5 controllers and a 1.2 meter of cable ducting and its held up very well. its alot stronger then i initially thought.

Toadpapa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been following your thread and just got my cade 1200. I am trying to wrap my head around how to plumb the uv we got for it. Do you think I can just use the reactor and chiller feed taps that I wont be using for a separate reactor or chiller and just plumb the UV right into those?

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I see a pic of your board with the controllers?

Also, I noticed the cross beams under the tank are metal and look like they can be used to hang stuff. Just not sure what I can use to attach to them.

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I see a pic of your board with the controllers?

Also, I noticed the cross beams under the tank are metal and look like they can be used to hang stuff. Just not sure what I can use to attach to them.
1599452293656.png

Still have a few more Controllers to go on yet once i decide what additional wavemakers to add.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I have been in the fish game for 15 years, keeping everything from goldfish to breeding discus. I sold up all my freshwater gear during my last house move, about 5 years ago. I have been procrastinating about a mini dream build ever since, as i know i could never actually fund the real thing.

My first taste of salt water was this 8gal nano which had nothing but a hang on filter and relied solely on weekly 50% water changes. it was relatively successful, other then have to replace fish every 4-6 weeks due to an ever illusive mantis shrimp.
IMG_7111.JPG

So after a little renovation, i finally have a perfect spot to start this build. Please ignore that sad looking house plant. I really hope i'm better at looking after things that live in water rather the dirt.

1585946798534.png

I would love to have this tank as 100% sps, but i feel that is something i will probably work up to. I think a mixed reef with a few stags, birdnests and montis will be a more realistic initial goal. I'm am not one to overly complicate things either, i would like to run this tank with a somewhat simple philosophy, with a few pieces of nice equipment that will provide a bit of redundancy and piece of mind.

I will update fairly frequently. So follow along and all advice is more then welcome, i'm going to need it.
Good luck with your new build! I must say though I love your 8g! What make of tank is that? The inhabitants look great as well!

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good luck with your new build! I must say though I love your 8g! What make of tank is that? The inhabitants look great as well!
Thanks, its coming along well. Ill do an update shortly, currently in the middle of the ugly stage so havent been bothering taking photos.
The 8G was a no name tank i came across at my LFS, i liked it as it had cured corners. Never again though. It was so hard to clean algae from those curves sections with a magnetic cleaner

OP
OP
Firthy13

Firthy13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been following your thread and just got my cade 1200. I am trying to wrap my head around how to plumb the uv we got for it. Do you think I can just use the reactor and chiller feed taps that I wont be using for a separate reactor or chiller and just plumb the UV right into those?
Yes that is will work fine, and that is how most people do it. you will be able to achieve a low flow rate doing that way which will be great for keeping on top of paracites and the like. I wanted my UV more for maintaining water clarity, algae and bacterial blooms so i wanted all the water from the sump to pass through it.

Karen00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, its coming along well. Ill do an update shortly, currently in the middle of the ugly stage so havent been bothering taking photos.
The 8G was a no name tank i came across at my LFS, i liked it as it had cured corners. Never again though. It was so hard to clean algae from those curves sections with a magnetic cleaner
Oh geez.... I wouldn't have even though about issues with cleaning the glass. That's good to know. LOL Gosh it sure is a nice looking setup but ease of cleaning is everything in this hobby! Haha.

Can't wait to see pics of the new one! For what it's worth, the ugly phase is part of most every build... you can still add those pics. Haha.

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1599452293656.png

Still have a few more Controllers to go on yet once i decide what additional wavemakers to add.

Where did those wire holders come from? Lowe’s?
Also do you know what size the return line tubing is?? I have a COR20 pump and can’t figure out what to use - I’m thinking a 1” barb fitting but that seems very tight but the 3/4” is loose.

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I dunno actually, just realized what you meant. Can the wires hold them up? I’m guessing you would have to Velcro them or something

ddaddy2420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a bit of an update.
Day 47 of the cycle, still seeing high nitrites. After using a large bottle of doctor Tim's and Seachem Stability I was expecting a slightly faster cycle. But I'm sure the patience will pay off. Still haven't turned my lighting on so tank is still beautiful and clean. I'm enjoying that while it lasts as I'm more than likely going to be dealing with algae for the coming months.

I also found the required fittings for my UV sterilizer. As my Cade plumbing is metric and not compatible with standard pressure pipe I had to use barbs and some hose to get it installed. Not the prettiest install, but does the job and is easily modified or returned to stock if required in the future.

IMG20200521153253.jpg IMG20200521153324.jpg

Question, where did you get all the tubing and fittings for the union ball valves? Mine are uPVC 1/2” true union ball valves and because of the uPVC, they won’t fit any of the PVC we have here in the states.

I’m finding it extremely frustrating they used this uPVC material because none of it fits the normal PVC fittings.

sfboarders

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question, where did you get all the tubing and fittings for the union ball valves? Mine are uPVC 1/2” true union ball valves and because of the uPVC, they won’t fit any of the PVC we have here in the states.

I’m finding it extremely frustrating they used this uPVC material because none of it fits the normal PVC fittings.

You mean metric pipes? Coralvue has fittings to convert metric to standard.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 45 75.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back