Fish acclimating

ReefGirl87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does everyone acclimate their fish? Is it a good idea to do the drip acclimation or just adding a little bit of water to the bag every 15-20 minutes is sufficient? Preparing for fish in a week or so.. thanks!

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always done a standard acclimation with fish. Float 15 minutes for temperature, roll down top of bag add water every 15 minutes adding about a quarter of the volume of water from the LFS. Repeat 4 times until water volume in bag has doubled. I may consider dripping if the fish is a more finicky species.

OP
OP
ReefGirl87

ReefGirl87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always done a standard acclimation with fish. Float 15 minutes for temperature, roll down top of bag add water every 15 minutes adding about a quarter of the volume of water from the LFS. Repeat 4 times until water volume in bag has doubled. I may consider dripping if the fish is a more finicky species.
That’s kind of what I figured. Yellow tang and bristletooth tangs. I should be fine with the standard acclimation process don’t you think?

HairyGary

Why do all your fish look like trout?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I QT all my fish and I match my salinity in the QT with the source water in the bag. If water from LFS is .020, I match my QT tank water to match. Same with online retailer. I confirm before shipment and then again with pin prick in bag as to not set off ammonia. In both situations, I float the bag for about 15-20 minutes to match temp and then net fish with small collander and then plop fish in tank. I do not drip acclimate.

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I'd do.. dripping can be a better method, but I personally think it's over the top and not necessary for many critters. I normally do it for starfish, nems, and fragile fish...

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I QT all my fish and I match my salinity in the QT with the source water in the bag. If water from LFS is .020, I match my QT tank water to match. Same with online retailer. I confirm before shipment and then again with pin prick in bag as to not set off ammonia. In both situations, I float the bag for about 15-20 minutes to match temp and then net fish with small collander and then plop fish in tank. I do not drip acclimate.
I'd do the same, but I wouldnt change my QT to their salinity. If their salinity is far off (because some LFS will keep fish in lower salinity to prevent illness while in shop) then that's kinda counterintuitive. I'd get the fish to the salinity in the QT which I'd make to be 1.021

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't drop acclimate... best to get the fish out of the shipping water and ammonia buildup as fast as possible. I match the salinity of the quarantine tank water to that of the shipping water... then float bag to acclimate to quarantine tank temperature... then release the fish into the quarantine tank.

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't drop acclimate... best to get the fish out of the shipping water and ammonia buildup as fast as possible. I match the salinity of the quarantine tank water to that of the shipping water... then float bag to acclimate to quarantine tank temperature... then release the fish into the quarantine tank.
That's the method I would do if I was buying fish online. Luckily, I'm very friendly with my LFS which is not even a quarter mile down the road. My apologies, I wasnt thinking about shipping. Never have bought any animals online and hopefully never will

OP
OP
ReefGirl87

ReefGirl87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem is I don’t have a QT tank... so that’s not currently an option for me...

Bapeluso

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem good luck, keep researching and reading up, and post some pics when you got some happy healthy critters!

evolved

[email protected]
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to this; exactly my procedure too.
I'd do the same, but I wouldnt change my QT to their salinity. If their salinity is far off (because some LFS will keep fish in lower salinity to prevent illness while in shop) then that's kinda counterintuitive. I'd get the fish to the salinity in the QT which I'd make to be 1.021
Raising salinity too quickly can kill a fish. It's best to match it first, and then raise it slowly over several days. A safe rule of thumb is to not increase it more than 0.002 in 24 hours.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem is I don’t have a QT tank... so that’s not currently an option for me...
A 5gal bucket, heater, and small powerhead can make for a quick quarantine tank if you are in a pinch. If the salinity is a big difference between the shipping water and tank tank water, it can be very stressful on the fish even with a drip acclimation. A bucket allows you to get the fish out of the ammonia filled shipping water (if fish has been shipped) and slowly bring up the salinity over a couple days time. Even local fish stores will run their tanks with hypo-salinity to suppress diseases so you don't see them.

Qasimja

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i dont drip acclimate my QT matches the salinity being shipped to me via online or im if buying locally i match it to my lfs water and temp match by float them release

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back