Fish acting odd in QT

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I’ve abandoned the “dump and pray” method and I have now started QTing, this is my first. I’m not medicating, simply have these two in a 20g and watching them closely. I need to read up on how to QT properly.

The Foxface appears, so far, to be normal and not presenting anything causing an alarm.

The scopus is really thin and looks like it hasn’t eaten in a month. It’s swimming oddly, it’s doing “figure 8’s” and swimming upside down. I’m assuming a swim bladder issue?

Both fish are eating, I’m feeding frozen once a day, but am wondering if I should set up an auto feeder and feed much more often.

I’ll share a folder with pics and videos.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I’ve abandoned the “dump and pray” method and I have now started QTing, this is my first. I’m not medicating, simply have these two in a 20g and watching them closely. I need to read up on how to QT properly.

The Foxface appears, so far, to be normal and not presenting anything causing an alarm.

The scopus is really thin and looks like it hasn’t eaten in a month. It’s swimming oddly, it’s doing “figure 8’s” and swimming upside down. I’m assuming a swim bladder issue?

Both fish are eating, I’m feeding frozen once a day, but am wondering if I should set up an auto feeder and feed much more often.

Not medicating is the same as not qt rhe fish. You in essence have an observation tank and want to assume the fish have something. Right now you are chancing things but continue to observe but be ready to react the moment you see something

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Like I said, I’m not up to speed on what the proper techniques to QTing are. To me, this was a positive step in not causing a catastrophic event to either of my displays. All I have is copper power and a Hannah copper tester from when I had a clown I thought got ill. I’m about to go read and try and come up with a list of medications to order and keep on hand. I’d like to discover a comprehensive list of supplies to be able to manage a wide arrays of situations that cover the 80/20 rule.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Not medicating is the same as not qt rhe fish. You in essence have an observation tank and want to assume the fish have something. Right now you are chancing things but continue to observe but be ready to react the moment you see something
OK I have some work to do. I’ll need to go buy a different tank and a filter tomorrow. I’ve done it all wrong. I used cycled ceramic media in the back of the AIO. If 9 weeks is the chance, I’ll need to get a 40 B, this 20 AIO won’t suffice. I need to figure out what media to use to hold the cycle, assuming sponges and plastic balls?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OK I have some work to do. I’ll need to go buy a different tank and a filter tomorrow. I’ve done it all wrong. I used cycled ceramic media in the back of the AIO. If 9 weeks is the chance, I’ll need to get a 40 B, this 20 AIO won’t suffice. I need to figure out what media to use to hold the cycle, assuming sponges and plastic balls?
sponges, best

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Our current quarantine protocol is posted here:

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back