Simo2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all after some help yet again

I've got several fish in Qt which is 3 tanks connect together totally 300ltrs

Each tank has 1 internal filter and some old live rock in sump

Added fish 16 days ago.. All seemed good most fish were eating but not a banggi cardinal or square spot anthia but all others were fine

I introduced copper after 7 days and all seems good the bangi started feeding but still not the square spot

After I think around 4 days of copper I have a big tang which started to develop marks

Video here

I figured since eating maybe just exist marks from a parisite etc

I noted the square spot what one raised which lump which looks like a bacterial infecion

Over the last few days most of the fish are looking thin and abit drab wih what Looks like bacteria infection but also swimming around looking stressed still eating tho.. Ive noticed a couple of fish that have long white stingy poo and or some white raised fluffy spot and some frayed fins

Video here

I'm just not sure what to do so I have 4 days left of copper that will be 15 days at 1.89ppm to 2ppm using fritz copper testing with the hanna copper kit

I've been over feeding to try get the other banggi feeding an square spot
So maybe poor water quality has caused a bacteria infection

So I do 50% water changes and rip copper out early.. Add uv or??

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hi all after some help yet again

I've got several fish in Qt which is 3 tanks connect together totally 300ltrs

Each tank has 1 internal filter and some old live rock in sump

Added fish 16 days ago.. All seemed good most fish were eating but not a banggi cardinal or square spot anthia but all others were fine

I introduced copper after 7 days and all seems good the bangi started feeding but still not the square spot

After I think around 4 days of copper I have a big tang which started to develop marks

Video here

I figured since eating maybe just exist marks from a parisite etc

I noted the square spot what one raised which lump which looks like a bacterial infecion

Over the last few days most of the fish are looking thin and abit drab wih what Looks like bacteria infection but also swimming around looking stressed still eating tho.. Ive noticed a couple of fish that have long white stingy poo and or some white raised fluffy spot and some frayed fins

Video here

I'm just not sure what to do so I have 4 days left of copper that will be 15 days at 1.89ppm to 2ppm using fritz copper testing with the hanna copper kit

I've been over feeding to try get the other banggi feeding an square spot
So maybe poor water quality has caused a bacteria infection

So I do 50% water changes and rip copper out early.. Add uv or??

Its hard to see tang but looks like skin irritation. Additionally, what level did you introduce/dose copper and how are you testing the level?
I thought i saw a cowfish somewhere? If so - No Copper for them. Add aeration and assure ammonia has not reached Unacceptable level. How are you testing the water
UV will not erase any preexisting parasites but rather what passes through the unit

OP
OP
S

Simo2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for a quick reply there buddy

Hanna digital test kit sits between 1.8ppm and 2ppm.. Half does then full next day

Yes cow fish never had issues with them in the past it probably the best lookout fish in there at the min

I have a air stone in tank and each tank crashea down into the sump and then returns back up to the 3 tanks

I have a ammonia alert badge that's saying no amionia

Temp 25c salt level is at 35ppm

One local shop said remove the copper with water changes and clean water up?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for a quick reply there buddy

Hanna digital test kit sits between 1.8ppm and 2ppm.. Half does then full next day

Yes cow fish never had issues with them in the past it probably the best lookout fish in there at the min

I have a air stone in tank and each tank crashea down into the sump and then returns back up to the 3 tanks

I have a ammonia alert badge that's saying no amionia

Temp 25c salt level is at 35ppm

One local shop said remove the copper with water changes and clean water up?
You have a few issues going on here, I’m not sure where to start.

Your coppersafe level needs to be at 2.25 ppm in order to be effective.

Square anthias have a really high initial mortality rate due to the way they are collected - not eating is a common sign of that.

Is the Banggai wild caught? There is a virus that gives those really high mortality rate.

The yellow angel is thin, but has the longest training feces I think I’ve ever seen on a marine fish!

I can’t tell what’s going on with the cowfish.

Jay

OP
OP
S

Simo2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi just a update there.. Ive ran the 14days at 2ppm fritz copper safe.. I always used it at 2ppm but I note your comment on 2.25pp

I've just done a 50 % water change and will need to look at buying something in the UK to battle the bacteria issues

3 bangi starting to feed bits
Box fish looks fine
Huge tang eats fine but still has marks as per per video

Anthia looks dead but then next moment swimming around not seen it eat yet but strangly looks fat

Small tangs look stressed but eating some flashing guess that's the bacteria irritating

Angles look the best feeding fine long string poo has gone

Will put a video on in morning

Thanks for input

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi just a update there.. Ive ran the 14days at 2ppm fritz copper safe.. I always used it at 2ppm but I note your comment on 2.25pp

I've just done a 50 % water change and will need to look at buying something in the UK to battle the bacteria issues

3 bangi starting to feed bits
Box fish looks fine
Huge tang eats fine but still has marks as per per video

Anthia looks dead but then next moment swimming around not seen it eat yet but strangly looks fat

Small tangs look stressed but eating some flashing guess that's the bacteria irritating

Angles look the best feeding fine long string poo has gone

Will put a video on in morning

Thanks for input

Square anthias often get bloating issues. I think it has to do with them being "needled" when collected at depth. I see that in deepwater Genicanthus angels, borbonius anthias and square anthias a LOT.

OP
OP
S

Simo2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Screenshot_20240226_205306_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240226_205306_com.android.chrome.jpg

OP
OP
S

Simo2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the above looks quick and affective.. Noe copper has been removed I could hit the qt for 48hrs with this says covers worms and flukes

Then do another few water changes and go from. There maybe??

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can also buy this on Ebay if would help?
Screenshot_20240226_210748_com.ebay.mobile.jpg

Paraguard doesn't have a good track record for marine fish, it works better on freshwater fish.

I have the above looks quick and affective.. Noe copper has been removed I could hit the qt for 48hrs with this says covers worms and flukes

Then do another few water changes and go from. There maybe??
The Fluke-Solve seems to indicate that it is best used for koi. The two ingredients; nitroscanate and emamectin benzoate are wild cards for me, I have not used those in marine systems.

Jay

OP
OP
S

Simo2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks its just I'm. Trying to find something in the UK

The flag fin angle seems to have got fin rot now so let's tackle that first what would you suggest please and I will see if I can source in UK

I also can get these 2 for flukes worms

IMG_20240227_072941.jpg

IMG_20240227_072937.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20240227_072941.jpg
    IMG_20240227_072941.jpg
    165.1 KB · Views: 14

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tremazol is supposedly praziquantel. However, I had heard that sale of that product was restricted a few years ago. Does your bottle have an expiration date on it?

The Waterlife Flukefree is also praziquantel, I can see that bottle isn't expired, I would use that.

Jay

OP
OP
S

Simo2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tremazol is supposedly praziquantel. However, I had heard that sale of that product was restricted a few years ago. Does your bottle have an expiration date on it?

The Waterlife Flukefree is also praziquantel, I can see that bottle isn't expired, I would use that.

Jay
Hi buddy yes the tremazol is 2 year out of date

The waterlife Is brand new just got from the lfs

A few people are now saying to use

MinnFinn Marine & Reef Broad Spectrum Treatment​

Seems to cover most things but never hear it mentioned much.. Maybe there is a reason for this!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks its just I'm. Trying to find something in the UK

The flag fin angle seems to have got fin rot now so let's tackle that first what would you suggest please and I will see if I can source in UK

I also can get these 2 for flukes worms

IMG_20240227_072941.jpg

IMG_20240227_072937.jpg
What country are you in?

OP
OP
S

Simo2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i tried MinnFinn Marine & Reef Broad Spectrum Treatment yesterday checked fish today and there still flashing about looking like bacterial infections .. plan to do 50% water chnages per day now and leave light out hope helps with stress​

all still eating which is a positive​

so what's next to try here in the UK I'm limited !

OP
OP
S

Simo2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would UV Help until we figure it out ? I have a Troptronic 55w UV Steriliser rated for around 5x the QT tank water volume.. not tired it since moving house but i could fire it up ?

ive also found seachem metroplex on ebay but at about 4x the price you pay in he states and with it been the weekend wont get this for another 4 more days

OP
OP
S

Simo2004

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel like the fish are getting worse since copper was removed

Recap.. No issue but as always use Copper safe at 1.8 to 2ppm for 14 days.. Near the end developed what looks lie bacterial infect Removed copper

Ran minnfinn for 1 hour

And these are the videos today

Fish still eating

Flashing looking washed out and stressed

Any advice

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back