Fish aggression question

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a 32 gallon Biocube with a full size royal gramma (3 inches) and a 1 inch clownfish. Little backstory, I had a Midas blenny (5-6 inches) in the tank too and he was the dominant fish until he passed. Ever since, my royal gramma has become the dominant fish and has become even more aggressive and territorial. I added a blue reef chromis soon after, and i believe my royal gramma killed it within the week that it was in there based off the initial aggression when I added him (he nipped him several times the first day, and on one nip I think I remember seeing blood. used an acclimation box for 3 days too). I’m looking for a more dominant fish to add to the system to reduce the aggression of my royal gramma. I have been considering a cherub angelfish (LFS only has one at 1-1.5 inches) and/or a sixline wrasse. Which addition do you think will be best for my current situation?

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the above. Chromis are notoriously fickle in terms of overall survivability, so while it's unlikely the royal gramma was the sole contributing factor - it's still possible. I've had three royal grammas and they've all been absolute chickens (spending most of the time in barnacles, caves or rock work), although the latest one is very peaceful and spends a lot of time swimming with the other fish.

A 32 gallon is going to be too small long-term for a cherub angel or sixline, and the sixline prefers a lot of rock, caves, tunnels (etc.) to be content. They've been known to turn very aggressive over time which is suspected to be due to the size of the tank and limited environment.

If you're looking for a more aggressive fish you could get a bicolor cleaner wrasse, although these can be an outright jerk to certain types of fish. Another option is something like a dottyback.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None of the above. Chromis are notoriously fickle in terms of overall survivability, so while it's unlikely the royal gramma was the sole contributing factor - it's still possible. I've had three royal grammas and they've all been absolute chickens (spending most of the time in barnacles, caves or rock work), although the latest one is very peaceful and spends a lot of time swimming with the other fish.

A 32 gallon is going to be too small long-term for a cherub angel or sixline, and the sixline prefers a lot of rock, caves, tunnels (etc.) to be content. They've been known to turn very aggressive over time which is suspected to be due to the size of the tank and limited environment.

If you're looking for a more aggressive fish you could get a bicolor cleaner wrasse, although these can be an outright jerk to certain types of fish. Another option is something like a dottyback.
Ok thanks for the suggestion

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 42 71.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 7 11.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.4%
Back