Fish and Temperature Shock

Mark Goode

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
May 21, 2022
Messages
915
Reaction score
1,631
Location
Market Harborough, England
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We all know fish are sensitive to sudden changes in temperature.

I've just watched my foxface open his throat and swallow a large chunk of frozen squid. I didn't expect this, or I would have thawed it first (as I will next time).
Why isn't he dead?
 
Eating frozen food and having a fish go through a thermal shock because of water temperature are two very different things. However, I would consider to raise the temperature of the tank slightly to boost its metabolism. Observe your fish closely for weird behaviour like gasping or bloating.

If he is doing well tomorrow consider giving some spirulina flakes or nori (fiber to help his digestion).

In most cases he should be fine
 
Eating frozen food and having a fish go through a thermal shock because of water temperature are two very different things. However, I would consider to raise the temperature of the tank slightly to boost its metabolism. Observe your fish closely for weird behaviour like gasping or bloating.

If he is doing well tomorrow consider giving some spirulina flakes or nori (fiber to help his digestion).

In most cases he should be fine
It was a frozen lump of chopped squid, so I'm not worried about digestion, just that he'd swallowed what was largely a lump of ice.
Thank you for your reply.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 7 21.2%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 9.1%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 8 24.2%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 27.3%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 15.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 7 21.2%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new