Fish are dropping every other day

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure but yes it did have some fin damage before but not to that extent. I put him in freshwater when I took him out so would flukes still fall off him if it were that?
Dipping freshly dead fish is a good way to diagnose flukes, but most species require a microscope to see them.

OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dipping freshly dead fish is a good way to diagnose flukes, but most species require a microscope to see them.
Yeah there were little flat clear things that looked like scales to me and not like flukes. Looked nothing like poppy seeds

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah there were little flat clear things that looked like scales to me and not like flukes. Looked nothing like poppy seeds

Yes, that's how people describe Neobenedenia flukes - that's the one type you can see without a microscope.

How many fish remain, and how do they look?

OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, that's how people describe Neobenedenia flukes - that's the one type you can see without a microscope.

Hippo tang, flame angel, spotted puffer, tomini wrasse and a banded snake eel.
Hippos eye looks better and is still eating but still skittish and hiding mostly, flame angel eyes look better and still eating but hides mostly too, wrasse is eating and swimming around and looks fine, puffer is eating and swimming around and still looks fine. Eel is fine and still eating

Outlaw Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, any chance did you get that butterfly fish from Harry’s? A buddy of mine got a gold, flake angel fish from Harry’s two weeks ago and it came and loaded with ich, that place is notorious for selling sick fish

OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey, any chance did you get that butterfly fish from Harry’s? A buddy of mine got a gold, flake angel fish from Harry’s two weeks ago and it came and loaded with ich, that place is notorious for selling sick fish

No I actually got it from Saltwaterfish.com which I’m sure isn’t much better but it was my first time ordering from there and never again!

OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Should I still treat Prazipro? I really don’t wanna dose it if I don’t have too and it still hasn’t arrived yet. I stopped dosing rally pro yesterday which that was 5 days I dosed it and still dosing kick ich

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should I still treat Prazipro? I really don’t wanna dose it if I don’t have too and it still hasn’t arrived yet. I stopped dosing rally pro yesterday which that was 5 days I dosed it and still dosing kick ich
Yes, you’ll need to treat the whole tank for Neobenedenia. Your best option would be half salinity for 30 days (1.012) bot of course, you cannot treat tanks with invertebrates that way. The second best option is three doses of Prazipro, with good aeration, spaced 8 days apart.

OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, you’ll need to treat the whole tank for Neobenedenia. Your best option would be half salinity for 30 days (1.012) bot of course, you cannot treat tanks with invertebrates that way. The second best option is three doses of Prazipro, with good aeration, spaced 8 days apart.
Ok so I just got the prazipro in and I’m gonna dose it today! It won’t kill my soft corals will it? All the fish are still eating and the hippo is starting to come out and swim more and the flame angel still has some white spots that look like ich or velvet but iv been treating for that for almost a week now but he is still eating and stuff

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand what you’re trying to say

The rocks displace water, so if you dose for a 90 gallon tank, but the rocks displace 20 gallons, your dose will be too high. I generally suggest people subtract 15% for rock displacement, going up to 20% if you have a lot of rocks. You tank probably holds somewhere around 70 to 80 gallons of water.

Your soft corals will be fine as long as your dose is accurate and you add additional aeration. You may see a nutrient spike after dosing that will require a water change, but soft corals are usually not affected by that, SPS corals might be.

Jay

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t understand what you’re trying to say
You have (had) multiple fish in your tank that were never intended to be kept in an undersize system like yours. You added the butterfly which raised the fish stress level to the breaking point and resulted in their immune systems being severely compromised. You have also mentioned visible signs of aggression in the tank most likely due to overstocked environment. When fish immune systems fail disease is easy to take hold such as ich or flukes, etc... your remains fish will need to be treated in QT with copper and your tank will have to fallow for 45 to 76 days.

OP
OP
JDapper

JDapper

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You have (had) multiple fish in your tank that were never intended to be kept in an undersize system like yours. You added the butterfly which raised the fish stress level to the breaking point and resulted in their immune systems being severely compromised. You have also mentioned visible signs of aggression in the tank most likely due to overstocked environment. When fish immune systems fail disease is easy to take hold such as ich or flukes, etc... your remains fish will need to be treated in QT with copper and your tank will have to fallow for 45 to 76 days.
There was no aggression at all even when I added the butterfly! I have had all those fish for at least 2 years so idk where you got the aggression from?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was no aggression at all even when I added the butterfly! I have had all those fish for at least 2 years so idk where you got the aggression from?
You mentioned torn fins on the clown which you observed before passing.

I feel sorry for your struggles and hope nothing but the best for you and your remaining fish. Your tank will need to fallow.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Therein lies a primary source of your continued problems. A 70g tank with rocks.
I don’t think there is enough background info to jump to that conclusion. It could be true, but if the tank has been stable for a year or so, and then the recent addition of a grenade, it may have just been a grenade. However, your point is very valid when he considers restocking.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think they’re enough background info to jump to that conclusion. It could be true, but if the tank has been stable for a year or so, and then the recent addition of a grenade, it may have just been a grenade. However, your point is very valid when he considers restocking.
For sure but if you add some of those fish he had in there as tiny 2 inch swimmers and over the next year or two they grow into 7 to 9 inch adults well the stress level in the confined space increases exponentially and that affects their immune systems in my opinion. We clearly see this regularly with tangs. They go from the ocean to the tank and boom ich starts.

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For sure but if you add some of those fish he had in there as tiny 2 inch swimmers and over the next year or two they grow into 7 to 10 inch adults well the stress level in the confined space increases exponentially and that affects their immune systems in my opinion.
100%.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 138 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 111 34.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.4%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back