Fish are dying...

Squidz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2 weeks ago I thought my tank got ick.
I put them in a QT tank and am running a cupramine treatment with %20 water changes daily.
I have still been loosing fish and nobody seems to be getting better.
My copper level is staying about .5mg/L
Today I noticed this on my Gobie..
Now I'm question what I have..
Am I not treating them for the right thing?
Am I doing something else wrong with the treatment?
Yesterday I lost a red wrasse and a damsel.. they had shown no signs of distress until I found them dead... I'm so heartbroken I just wanna help the fish...

20210814_091328.jpg 20210814_090329.jpg 20210814_085637.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
About 2 weeks ago I thought my tank got ick.
I put them in a QT tank and am running a cupramine treatment with %20 water changes daily.
I have still been loosing fish and nobody seems to be getting better.
My copper level is staying about .5mg/L
Today I noticed this on my Gobie..
Now I'm question what I have..
Am I not treating them for the right thing?
Am I doing something else wrong with the treatment?
Yesterday I lost a red wrasse and a damsel.. they had shown no signs of distress until I found them dead... I'm so heartbroken I just wanna help the fish...

20210814_091328.jpg 20210814_090329.jpg 20210814_085637.jpg

What are your water quality parameters (especially ammonia)?
Can you post a short video? That helps me judge their relative respiration rates.
Are the remaining fish still eating?
Have you used any ammonia removing chemicals?
Did the dead fish die with their mouths opened or closed?

Those gobies frequently have an issue where the area behind their eyes turns white. I do not know for certain what that is, but it is often fatal. It could be a bacterial issue or flukes.

At this point, I don't see any ich on the fish and your copper treatment seems appropriate to control that. That would indicate that perhaps there is an issue with flukes.

Jay

OP
OP
Squidz

Squidz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you post a short video? That helps me judge their relative respiration rates.

Those gobies frequently have an issue where the area behind their eyes turns white. I do not know for certain what that is, but it is often fatal. It could be a bacterial issue or flukes.

At this point, I don't see any ich on the fish and your copper treatment seems appropriate to control that. That would indicate that perhaps there is an issue with flukes.

Jay

OP
OP
Squidz

Squidz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ugh that poor Gobie..
I'm testing now.
Appetite today wasn't super great, even with the clowns who are usually waiting for me 6 hours in advanced.
No ammonia removing chemicals, can't mix with the copper treatment right?
And I'm sorry I didn't know to pay attention to how their mouths were..

OP
OP
Squidz

Squidz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jay
Stil

Jay
Still testing, but the Ammonia is kinda high at .2 ppm.
And the nitrates are really low. 5.0 ppm.
Ph. At 8.2.
All I have so far

OP
OP
Squidz

Squidz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite at 0
Salinity at 1.0255 (34ppm).
Alk is 2.7 - 7.6
Cal is at 420.
Ammonia 0.2
Nitrates 5.0
Ph. 8.2.
This is all I can test for.
Its running with Biomax filters and a sponge (to not remove the copper)
But do you think I should forgo the rest of the treatment (few days) do a waterchange without copper and add carbon? To lower the ammonia? Spend more time netting out extra food?
Was that thing coming off the Gobies face some sort of parasite?

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit do you use? Could you send some full tank shots. Do you have a skimmer on the tank? Could any aerosol sprays be affecting the area? (Cleaning, bug, carpet etc.) metal objects exposed or rusting in the system? Think outside the box bud, you’d be surprised, I service 100s of tanks. Send those tank shots. Thx.

andiesreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite at 0
Alk is 2.7 - 7.6
Cal is at 420.
Ammonia 0.2
Nitrates 5.0
Ph. 8.2.
But do you think I should forgo the rest of the treatment (few days) do a waterchange without copper and add carbon? To lower the ammonia? Spend more time netting out extra food?
Was that thing coming off the Gobies face some sort of parasite?
do you use api tests for ammonia? they tend to give false readings

OP
OP
Squidz

Squidz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrite at 0
Alk is 2.7 - 7.6
Cal is at 420.
Ammonia 0.2
Nitrates 5.0
Ph. 8.2.
Was that thing coming off the Gobies face some sort of

What test kit do you use? Could you send some full tank shots. Do you have a skimmer on the tank? Could any aerosol sprays be affecting the area? (Cleaning, bug, carpet etc.) metal objects exposed or rusting in the system? Think outside the box bud, you’d be surprised, I service 100s of tanks. Send those tank shots. Thx.

Attachments

• 20210814_103130.jpg
    20210814_103130.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 32
  • 20210814_103136.jpg
    20210814_103136.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20210814_103130.jpg
    20210814_103130.jpg
    152.3 KB · Views: 22
OP
OP
Squidz

Squidz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No skimmer on the QT tank.
I can't Imagine there are any sprays being used around the area, I made sure everyone knows better.. this tank is kept at an office though.
No rusting metal that I know of?
And yes I am using the API test kit.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
No skimmer on the QT tank.
I can't Imagine there are any sprays being used around the area, I made sure everyone knows better.. this tank is kept at an office though.
No rusting metal that I know of?
And yes I am using the API test kit.
If youre using the API kit, your ammonia is likely higher than the kit results are showing. A water change will be essential. Also, the fish is very thin and likely recieving Inadequate required diet. It needs meaty foods.
Also known as shrimp goby due to forming relationship with pistol shrimp requires at least a 30 gallon or larger aquarium with plenty of loose coral rubble, and ample swimming room with a sandy bottom for burrowing. It rarely becomes aggressive towards other fish. It may try to jump out of the aquarium or other small openings, therefore, a tight-fitting lid is required to prevent escape.
The Yellow Watchman Goby diet should include a variety of mysis shrimp, spirulina brine shrimp, table shrimp, plankton and frozen carnivore foods. It should be fed at least twice per day and add liquid vitamins to foods such as Selcon occasionally

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, the blenny is tearing up the goby. I cannot tell you if this aggression is the root cause, or if the blenny is taking advantage of the gobies depressed state, but they need to be separated. The goby is really thin and cannot swim. That is what is termed "moribund" - close to death. You might consider euthanizing it as it won't recover.

At this point, the clowns look o.k. I would continue with the copper, but you'll need to do water changes to lower the ammonia (redosing the changed water with a proportional amount of copper).

Jay

OP
OP
Squidz

Squidz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If youre using the API kit, your ammonia is likely higher than the kit results are showing. A water change will be essential. Also, the fish is very thin and likely recieving Inadequate required diet. It needs meaty foods.
Also known as shrimp goby due to forming relationship with pistol shrimp requires at least a 30 gallon or larger aquarium with plenty of loose coral rubble, and ample swimming room with a sandy bottom for burrowing. It rarely becomes aggressive towards other fish. It may try to jump out of the aquarium or other small openings, therefore, a tight-fitting lid is required to prevent escape.
The Yellow Watchman Goby diet should include a variety of mysis shrimp, spirulina brine shrimp, table shrimp, plankton and frozen carnivore foods. It should be fed at least twice per day and add liquid vitamins to foods such as Selcon occasionally
Even for a QT tank? They are usually in a 55 gallon. When this started I had to purchase a qt tank so I talked with the store and they said I should be fine with this one? I am beginning to suspect they just took me for a sucker.
I usually feed a variety of mysis shrimp, bloodworms, pellets, and algae loaded shrimp? (Not sure what its call at the moment. )
I've never done the liquid vitamins.
Im not sure he's been eating.. but I'm happy for any advice and I will double check my dieting. I really wanna be better at this.

OP
OP
Squidz

Squidz

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, the blenny is tearing up the goby. I cannot tell you if this aggression is the root cause, or if the blenny is taking advantage of the gobies depressed state, but they need to be separated. The goby is really thin and cannot swim. That is what is termed "moribund" - close to death. You might consider euthanizing it as it won't recover.

At this point, the clowns look o.k. I would continue with the copper, but you'll need to do water changes to lower the ammonia (redosing the changed water with a proportional amount of copper).

Jay
Yeah, that video was the first time I ever saw that happening. I'm not sure I have a way to separate them at the moment. Whats the best way to euthanize a fish? With the least amount of suffering.. he's suffered enough... just take him out of the water? Seems like the obvious choice.
IL head over now and do another water change. I gotta head out after so anything else will have to wait until I get home.

Thanks for your time Jay. As always I really appreciate everyone trying to help.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back