OP
T

timocean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I understand that a remote diagnosis is difficult, but am greatful for all who chime in. It’s past 1am here now, so I wouldn’t do anything now anyway.
But would also be curious what @Jay Hemdal would suggest.
Many thanks!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could get Oasis Praziquantel, which is a powder and the bottle looks like on the attached photo, and does not list its ingredients.

The description says to use 5g/100L, so I guess it also contains other ingredients. Unfortunately, it also says to repeat after 6 days (see detailed directions below), which does not seem to be inline with most recommendations.

Planned Praziquantel Treatment:
===========================
So I plan to modify the procedure while I would stay with the specified Oasis dosage, but modify the treatment according to the prazi calendar (https://benezeapp.cawthron.org.nz/):
Day 1 - First treatment: Dose 5g/100L (rub powder through sieve into tank)
Day 1-3 - No feeding
Day 8 - 30% water change
Day 9 - Second treatment: Dose 5g/100L (rub powder through sieve into tank)

@Jay Hemdal : Since I came across many prazi posts from you, it would be great to hear what you think about the procedure? Especially regarding the not feeding and skipping a water change on day 4 (as I will be travelling). Many thanks!

Actual Oasis Praziquantel Directions:
==============================
Day 1
1a- Replace 1/3 of tank water.
1b- Add 5g of powder to every 100L of water.
1c- Do not feed for 3 days.

Day 4
Repeat step 1a only.
Feed fish for 1 day.

Day 5
Rest day.

Day 6
Start of new treatment cycle.
Repeat from step 1a.

Repeat treatment cycle until recovery

Increase dosage for serious illness
Not knowing the actual percentage of active ingredient in the oasis product is a problem. Praziquantel is typically dosed at 2.2 mg/l. Otherwise, your outlined treatment seems fine. You may need a third treatment though, to break the life cycle of any flukes if they are egglayers.
Jay

OP
OP
T

timocean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not knowing the actual percentage of active ingredient in the oasis product is a problem. Praziquantel is typically dosed at 2.2 mg/l. Otherwise, your outlined treatment seems fine. You may need a third treatment though, to break the life cycle of any flukes if they are egglayers.
Jay
So would you think that the videos and the described behavior justify Praziquantel usage? I got different opinions here about that.

If so, I am trying to contact the company to find out the percentage of active ingredient, or check for other sources.
Thanks!

OP
OP
T

timocean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brief update: the P. squamipinnis is now in the morning out swimming again. Here is a video:

When feeding he came to the feeding spot but did not really pickup food. Does this fact and/or the video provide additional clues for diagnosis?

OP
OP
T

timocean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brief update: the P. squamipinnis is now in the morning out swimming again. Here is a video:

When feeding he came to the feeding spot but did not really pickup food. Does this fact and/or the video provide additional clues for diagnosis?

Over the day so far the P. squampinnis is showing rather normal behavior. Actively swimming and also interacting with the others squampinnis in the tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So would you think that the videos and the described behavior justify Praziquantel usage? I got different opinions here about that.

If so, I am trying to contact the company to find out the percentage of active ingredient, or check for other sources.
Thanks!

The rapid breathing has three primary causes: water quality issues (usually low oxygen), Velvet/Amyloodinium or gill flukes. There are other, non treatable causes such as anemia, viruses, things like that. Velvet causes the fish to stop feeding and die within days. You've worked on the water quality, so that kind of just leaves flukes as the treatable option. However, one thing is puzzling - there is another anthias in the video that doesn't seem affected - generally, flukes will affect all related fish to some degree.

Jay

OP
OP
T

timocean

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, many thanks for the input Jay. Then I will give Prazi a try. I was just now able to get tablets at 600mg active dose each. A vet was so kind to prescribe this (just mention in case other Germans are reading).

As I will be leaving tomorrow and the fish seem to be doing better overall (yesterday very active, today a bit less but still ok . do flukes affect the fish in waves?), I will though only apply it when I am back on the 26th. Will crush the tablets with a mortar, dose-squeeze 2,2mg/L through a net, and hope that it will help.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, many thanks for the input Jay. Then I will give Prazi a try. I was just now able to get tablets at 600mg active dose each. A vet was so kind to prescribe this (just mention in case other Germans are reading).

As I will be leaving tomorrow and the fish seem to be doing better overall (yesterday very active, today a bit less but still ok . do flukes affect the fish in waves?), I will though only apply it when I am back on the 26th. Will crush the tablets with a mortar, dose-squeeze 2,2mg/L through a net, and hope that it will help.
Use a very fine mesh net, I used to use pantyhose. Plankton nets also work.
Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back