FISH BEHAVIOR NOT NORMAL

Ridwaan98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I have a 100L fish tank with one vagabond butterflyfish and one Picasso triggerfish. I have had these fish for about 1 and a half weeks now, and I suddenly recognised their behavior to be a bit abnormal. It was just today when I woke up, the trigger was breathing really heavily and sitting behind the rocks, even when i put food, he did not come out, it was only when i moved the rock he came out. I then changed 50% of the water, added some seachem prime and then decreased the water temperature from 30C to 25C. 4 hours later. His behaviour has improved dramatically, but, what do you guys think was the initial cause? I also need test kit, which one should I buy? Is the API one any good?

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Several things wrong here that could stress the fish.

1st, those are two large fish. 100L (26gal) is much much much too small for either, let alone both.
2nd 30C is too hot especially in a tank that small with unsuitably large fish, and they are likely suffering from oxygen depletion because of it. You get better oxygen levels in a tank that is cooler.

I see you're also adding a copperband from another post you've made. Please stop buying fish and research their needs and how to set up a tank properly before you continue...

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't even have test kits yet, I'm too scared to even wonder about ammonia in that tank. Take the fish back, and get some test kits instead. When you know the quality of the water then consider easier to keep, suitably sized fish for your tank and experience level.

Sorry if I sound like I'm lecturing, but really this is your best course of action the way I see it.

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
W1ngz gives excellent advice. I understand the temptation to push the limits, but I would immediately research the tank requirements for these fish and find new homes if it is not suitable. Less is more in this hobby.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been up and running?

API's kits are ok, but I've found more trust in Red Sea or Salifert.
Recommend you get a Seachem Ammonia Alert Badge.

OP
OP
Ridwaan98

Ridwaan98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been up and running?

API's kits are ok, but I've found more trust in Red Sea or Salifert.
Recommend you get a Seachem Ammonia Alert Badge.

Are the ammonia badges reliable though? I have heard that they are not good at calibrating. And how long do they last for.

OP
OP
Ridwaan98

Ridwaan98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you don't even have test kits yet, I'm too scared to even wonder about ammonia in that tank. Take the fish back, and get some test kits instead. When you know the quality of the water then consider easier to keep, suitably sized fish for your tank and experience level.

Sorry if I sound like I'm lecturing, but really this is your best course of action the way I see it.

Hmm. I disagree with you here. I feel like if someone purchased tangs for a aquarium my size it is bad. But, for my size, it is perfectly acceptable for two fish like this. Also, these fish are only 5cm long. They are not large. So I might upgrade in the future. I also do weekly water changes, so this should not be a problem. My LFS keeps like 10 tangs in a 20 litre aquarium and they are absolutely fine. They have been their for like 5 months. :)

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My LFS keeps like 10 tangs in a 20 litre aquarium and they are absolutely fine. They have been their for like 5 months. :)
Tangs are extremely popular fish. For a store to have the same 10 tangs for 5 months is not normal. It means people don't buy their fish, which is a big indicator of a problem with the store as well. I wouldn't buy fish from a store that stuffs 10 tangs into a 20l/5gal tank.

Good luck with your troubles.

VJM 21

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. I disagree with you here. I feel like if someone purchased tangs for a aquarium my size it is bad. But, for my size, it is perfectly acceptable for two fish like this. Also, these fish are only 5cm long. They are not large. So I might upgrade in the future. I also do weekly water changes, so this should not be a problem. My LFS keeps like 10 tangs in a 20 litre aquarium and they are absolutely fine. They have been their for like 5 months. :)
This is a joke, right? Just checking.

Drendo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seeing a minimum tank size for the Vagabond Butterfly fish alone ranging fro 75 to 125 gallons. My opinion is that if you are seeking advice, it is good to take advice from knowledgable members, even if it is not the advice you want to hear. We are stewards of these pets and need to give them the best chance at sucess. I'm sure there is more going on with water parameters, but tank size is obvious.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the ammonia badges reliable though? I have heard that they are not good at calibrating. And how long do they last for.
Ammonia badges work pretty good and in conditions where the color matching tests sometimes will not. I usually use them for one QT period of 45-60 days for fish, and for 76 day QTs for corals and inverts.

The badges are read the best by using a small flashlight. Shine the light from behind the badge to more easily view the color wheel.

But I also use the ammonia test kits from Red Sea and or Salifert at the same time as a double check. ;)

OP
OP
Ridwaan98

Ridwaan98

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm seeing a minimum tank size for the Vagabond Butterfly fish alone ranging fro 75 to 125 gallons. My opinion is that if you are seeking advice, it is good to take advice from knowledgable members, even if it is not the advice you want to hear. We are stewards of these pets and need to give them the best chance at sucess. I'm sure there is more going on with water parameters, but tank size is obvious.

Mate, stop being sarcastic. My LFS has about 10 butterflies in a 10G tank

W1ngz

Failed Padawan
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mate, stop being sarcastic. My LFS has about 10 butterflies in a 10G tank
An LFS holding tank is not the same thing in any way.

You came here looking for advice, yet you challenge those who give it to the point of being rude. Not the best approach to getting help.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Biggest issue was keeping the tank at 30C/86F. Whomever advised that .... I suggest ignoring them in the future. Is the tank new, did you cycle it properly? Using LFS stocking as a model for the home tank is a false equivalency, for reasons I’d think self evident.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back