Fish dictator orchid dottyback

abdiel b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a orchid dottyback that terrorizes my royal gramma basslet and blue spotted goby. I barely ever see those 2 fish except when I find their hiding spot every once in a while. Besides them being stressed out to heck from the orchid dottyback they are pretty healthy. Can someone please give me tips to stop this orchid dottyback from abusing these fish.

sjfishguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dottybacks are nasty fish and would never get one (sorry). Def shouldn’t be with a Royal gramma. They will always terrorize it. I would get rid of the dottyback

workhz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People always say that but my orchid is 'peaceful'. I have a Tomini, 2 clowns, 3 anthias, a fire fish and a wrasse and he doesn't bother them. He went after both the fire fish and wrasse the first couple of days but leaves everyone alone now. I guess provide plenty of rocks and hiding places for everyone. I think the Tomini keeps the peace between all the others as he is the bully in the tank ..... so I guess half jokingly get a bigger bully.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a orchid dottyback that terrorizes my royal gramma basslet and blue spotted goby. I barely ever see those 2 fish except when I find their hiding spot every once in a while. Besides them being stressed out to heck from the orchid dottyback they are pretty healthy. Can someone please give me tips to stop this orchid dottyback from abusing these fish.

Get rid of it. The royal gramma is wayyy too close in shape/color/behavior/everything for the orchid to not see it as a competitor.

I had a captive orchid and it was fine for one year then went berserk and killed two cleaner shrimp and a damsel.

OP
OP
A

abdiel b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rid of it. The royal gramma is wayyy too close in shape/color/behavior/everything for the orchid to not see it as a competitor.

I had a captive orchid and it was fine for one year then went berserk and killed two cleaner shrimp and a damsel.
I am pretty sure my orchid dottyback killed my peppermint shrimp

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.8%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 20.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back