Fish died after water change

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did 2 10% water changes to get my alk up (noticed that my Xenia and pipe organ corals were tightly closed). When I measured all it was around 6. After water changes it was up to like 6.5.

I only had 2 clownfish in the tank they were perfectly fine before the water change. That night though they were near the gravel hiding among the rocks and the smallest one at one point was laying on the gravel and the larger one kinda pushed him with its nose to I’m assuming see if it was ok.

I started running carbon in my media reactor in case something chemical got in and started agitating the water surface a lot more with my return thinking maybe everything being off for a bit messed with the oxygenation. I also added prime to the tank because I thought maybe chlorine got into the tank (I cleaned my filter socks and with diluted bleach but I rinsed them and air dried them and then rinsed them again in water with prime and they’ve been drying now over a week). This was the first time I used the filter socks after cleaning them... usually I use it while I clean off the rocks and gravel to catch everything.

No idea what happened.

Water parameters:
Sg: 1.024-1.026 (I top up RO water manually my Sg does fluctuate a bit)
Alk: 6.5 (was around 5.5-6 before water changes)
Calcium: around 440
Phos: 0 (using API test)
Ammonia: 0
Nitrate: 0 (been heavily feeding to try and get this up and stopped using filter socks all the time for the last 2 weeks or so trying to get it up)
Ph: 8.0 (was 8.2 before water changes)

This tank is relatively new, I think 2 months now. 40gals with a 20G sump using maybe 15g in there. I have a media reactor I use for carbon and I did use GFO early on to help with phosphates from some of the newer rock but only used it for a bit. Everything except the substrate came from a smaller tank that was 6 months old and I cycled extra rock in it. Plus used fritz turbo start. The cycle happened really fast and algae was growing. The tank has tonnes of copepods.

The corals look fine. Except zoas and Xenia are still half opened and the organ pipe coral is fully closed. Maybe a few small polyps open now and then.

Not sure what else could have happened. I did clean the outside of the tank with a bit of windex sprayed on a cloth which I probably shouldn’t have done but I’m almost certain none got into the tank.

The smaller fish I couldn’t really inspect since it was so small but the larger one had no visible issues. Gills looked red maybe a bit of white. No spots on the outside. He was struggling to swim and started kinda floating around nose pointed up and wouldn’t react when I got close to him.

Really at a lost for what happened. Things were going so well too and they got along swimming around with each other. Usually the bigger guy looking out for the smaller one.

Any ideas what could have happened?

OP
OP
M

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah the bigger clownfish I had for 5 months or so from the smaller tank. The smaller one I’ve had for 3 weeks. There was a bit of a scare at the start cause he went down my overflow and got stuck in a filter sock.

Both were eating every day and swimming around like clownfish. The little guy did sometimes seem to be working really hard to swim in the flow but had plenty of areas to chillax.

This happened really suddenly. Basically over night.

OP
OP
M

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the tank near an open window? Really sorry to hear about your loss BTW.
It is actually. Temp has been steady every time I’ve checked it ~80C. Which is warmer than I’d like but Even with the Ac running the water temp hasn’t changed at all.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your loss.

Was your water change bucket used for anything other than aquarium. Is there any possibility someone in your house sprayed anything in the same room?

OP
OP
M

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry about your loss.

Was your water change bucket used for anything other than aquarium. Is there any possibility someone in your house sprayed anything in the same room?
I use the clean water bucket to store RODI and then I make saltwater in it and rinse it out to fill it back up with RODI. I rinse well with tap water from the shower after making saltwater and then I rinse it out with a bit of RODI and dry it off before filling it. Maybe that’s another way chlorine got in?

Does chlorine/chloroamines show up on TDS meters?

Would chlorine affect only fish and not corals?

OP
OP
M

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got back home and re-smelled 2 of the filter socks I cleaned and some spots smell faintly of bleach still.

I got this chlorine test kit so I'm gonna dunk them into some RODI and test the water after and see if any chlorine leaches out. I just tested our tap water and the chlorine reading doesn't even look to go up to 0.5ppm (the lowest the test can read).

I now have a feeling this is what caused their deaths and feel really ****** about it. All this effort for a stupid mistake to kill them.

Biglew11

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of chlorine left from rinsing a bucket is negligible. I do it all the time. Also I think rinsing the socks in water treated with prime would have rendered any bleach left inactive. Anyone know how long bleach in a filtersock can cause harm? Do you have a way of testing for stray voltages? Do you have grounding probes installed?

OP
OP
M

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of chlorine left from rinsing a bucket is negligible. I do it all the time. Also I think rinsing the socks in water treated with prime would have rendered any bleach left inactive. Anyone know how long bleach in a filtersock can cause harm? Do you have a way of testing for stray voltages? Do you have grounding probes installed?
I just tested a bucket or RODI with the socks in it after a few minutes and doesn't look like there's any chlorine in there.

No way to test for that no. Also don't have grounding probes.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
How did you actually acclimate fish?

You said 80c ??/ That would be 176 deg F.

What again is ph and what instrument are you using to check salinity ?

OP
OP
M

magicwhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How did you actually acclimate fish?

You said 80c ??/ That would be 176 deg F.

What again is ph and what instrument are you using to check salinity ?
Sorry 80F.

I acclimated in a bucket adding water every 5 mins till it doubled and then emptied half and added more water every 5 mins. Around 1/2 cup or so each time. Took around 45mins to acclimate. Kept a little preset heater in it.

pH is 8.0 - 8.2 (using API and Red Sea kits)

I'm checking the salinity using a cheapish refractometer off amazon calibrated with RODI and use a swing arm every now and then to double check. Whenever I make a new batch of saltwater my target is 1.025 it fluctuates a bit though with evaporation throughout the day. I have a measured mark on my return chamber that I fill back up to daily.

I will say though I've had high salinity before once when my refractometer got out of calibration and had a sg of like 1.028-1.03 (if I remember correctly it was a few months ago) and the clownfish didn't really seem too bothered by it. I only noticed cause my zoas were very tightly closed.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It can make a difference and calibrated with RO if often not accurate. Every 5 mins can cause shock and I recommend clean pail/bucket and emptying contents into the container and adding a cup of water every 15 min s 6-8 times. it gradually equalizes salt/oxygen/Ph and gradual is key for the new occupants prior to entering new tank

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check the bleach for any additives, I picked up what looked like normal clorox bleach only to notice it was scented.

His death could totally be unrelated to the water change. Sometimes fish have internal parasites or such or other issues we can't see.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 46 35.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 28 21.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.7%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 32 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back