Fish Disease ID and Cure/Treatment

MichalMarron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
38 Gallon All in one tank
im currently running carbon and a 8 watt UV sterilizer and a carbon based floss material to catch bigger particles plus bio media below all that i feed mysis shrimp once daily about 1/2 a cube

2 clowns and 2 chromis's
but i cant find one of my chromis's anywhere the one i can find wont show his face but my clown likes to come act tough guy with me so i was able to get picture tank is about 2 months old

image0.jpg

Last edited:

fishguy242

Cronies..... INSERT BUILD THREAD BADGE HERE !!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
hi welcome to the reef .. :)
do i see spots on clown??
secondly if have a few hermits /bristle worms,would not worry too much about missing chromis,
watch ammonia and a 5 gallon water change could not hurt.
if spots on clown try to post parameters ,coral in tank? more pics of affected clown if poss,
come back here ,we can call help . best wishes

OP
OP
M

MichalMarron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi welcome to the reef .. :)
do i see spots on clown??
secondly if have a few hermits /bristle worms,would not worry too much about missing chromis,
watch ammonia and a 5 gallon water change could not hurt.
if spots on clown try to post parameters ,coral in tank? more pics of affected clown if poss,
come back here ,we can call help . best wishes
yes white spots on the clowns best picture i could get
no hermits or bristles (that ive seen)

AMM 0
NirIte 0
nirate ~5`

just did a water change yesterday should i do another
yes 1 pulsing xenia and a platygyra

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is most likely ich. You will need to move all the remaining fish to a treatment tank and dose with copper for 30 days, then hold your tank fishless for a period of time, 45 to 76 days. I know this is a hassle, but none of the in tank treatments will really work.
Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The clowns appear to have ich. How were they acclimated and before posting parameters-
- What is age of tank?
- What type of water are your using (RO or tap) ?
-How were and how long were fish acclimated/introduced to the tank?
- What test kits are you using ?

With tank being new, unfortunately, you may have to set up another as a quarantine tank. The best ich treatment is copper-based medication. Rather than treating the main aquarium, move the sick fish to a bare bottomed quarantine or treatment tank. This should be aerated and have the same water conditions as the main aquarium.
Mardel Coppersafe from Fritz Aquatics treats both freshwater and saltwater ich, along with other diseases, including Velvet (Oodinium) and other external parasites. However, because it is a copper-based treatment made from chelated copper sulfate. To use Coppersafe, add 1 teaspoon of medication for every 4 gallons of water, or 1 cup of every 190 gallons. The solution will remain active in the tank for more than one month.
Cupramine, a copper-based treatment from Seachem, treats not only saltwater ich, but also other ectoparasites in freshwater and saltwater tanks. An ionic copper medication, rather than chelated copper, it is non-acidic and doesn't damage the biofilter bacteria. To use Cupramine, turn off UV filters and ozone filters, and remove chemical filtration, such as activated carbon. For every 10.5 gallons of water, use 1 mL of treatment, and then wait 48 hours. Repeat the treatment, and leave at this concentration for 14 days. Test the water for copper levels before redosing the tank.

>>>>> WHEN USING ANY COPPER IN WATER - HAVE A RELIABLE TEST KIT TO MONITOR LEVELS. IT'S A MUST <<<

make it a point to treat in a separate quarantine tank setting (starter kit at walmart makes a great QT system)
Coppersafe is a best bet for ich -IF ich and you want to/must treat for 30 Full days at 80.5 degrees and monitor therapeutic copper levels of 2.25-2.5 using a Reliable copper test kit- No Api brand.
The display tank itself should be and remain fishless known as FALLOW for 45-60 days - No longer 76. This allows all the cysts and tromont stage parasites to die from no host and complete cycles and die off.
If you dont do a full 30 day treatment- that alone will invite new cysts as you are seeing. When the dots disappear does not confirm they are gone.

Last edited:

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 139 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 113 35.0%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back