Fish dying...

James LaFrance

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, after a busy move, we are finally settled in to the new house! The remaining fish died in the move, unfortunately. We bought more fish after letting the tank go fallow for over 76 days (only the cleaner shrimp and dwarf golden eel in there). After buying a few new fish, guess what "came back"? You guessed it, ich! At this point, I realized the advice above had to be true, the ich was being transported but not affecting the eel. I immediately took the shrimp and ZOA's out, put them in a small 5 gallon tank. Then, over the course of almost a week, I lowered the salinity of my main tank to 1.009. I ended up losing one fish (the smaller of two blacker ice clowns), but after about a week, all fish were looking better. The fish that have survived thus far are yellow tang, spotted puffer, lawnmower blenny, neon dottyback and the other clown fish, as well as the eel. The eel didn't eat for almost a month, but he seems to be doing much better! The fish have been ich free for 1 week now, so I'm counting down the weeks to gettinging back to normal. On a side note, after feeding the shrimp one day, I forgot to plug the filter back in, and after almost 24 hours of non-circulating water, he died. Truely sad since it had lived through all the ich outbreaks, 76+ days fallow and a move, only to die by my own hand. . Anyways, thanks for all the advice and valuable knowledge!

EDIT: not sure how it happened, but the original posts in this thread were created by me, but I'm currently logged in with a different account? Can anyone help with this?

Last edited:

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
EDIT: not sure how it happened, but the original posts in this thread were created by me, but I'm currently logged in with a different account? Can anyone help with this?

Which of the two accounts do you wish to keep? @jrlafrance or @James LaFrance? The posts of the account you do not wish to keep can be merged into the one you do.

OP
OP
jrlafrance

jrlafrance

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately, 2 weeks into hypo and the eel started acting like it was gasping for air even though I had an air stone in the tank. I fished it out and put it in a small tank with 1.025sg, and within 2 days it died. Its unfortunate, not sure if the hypo hurt it or what. Has anyone had experience with eels in hypo? From previous posts here, the Cooper probably would have killed it too. I think I went the right route, the other fish are alive and thriving through this hypo treatment, so all in all it was a good thing.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jrlafrance, I'm sorry to hear that . . .

Generally, increasing salinity is something to do very slowly - a lot of folks do it by replacing evaporation with saltwater top-off. That kind of slowly.

~Bruce

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jrlafrance, I'm sorry to hear that . . .

Generally, increasing salinity is something to do very slowly - a lot of folks do it by replacing evaporation with saltwater top-off. That kind of slowly.

~Bruce

I agree. Moving any fish from 1.009 to 1.025 would kill them all on it's own. Raise the SG needs to be done very slowly and over the course of days preferably.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree. Moving any fish from 1.009 to 1.025 would kill them all on it's own. Raise the SG needs to be done very slowly and over the course of days preferably.
X3. Unfortunately that's a massive jump in salinity that would be fatal for many of the most hardy fish. Sorry for the loss!

OP
OP
jrlafrance

jrlafrance

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, started the raise in salinity yesterday, gonna give it a week to see where its at...I'm just happy that the fish are doing well and can't wait to be "normal" again!

OP
OP
jrlafrance

jrlafrance

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new problem. my bowfronts (I don' know who made it) has a built-in overflow that is "U" shaped. Water flows into the "U" then over the edges and into the main area to the drain. My yellow tang for some stupid reason jumped I there and I can't get him out, of fit a net back there! Any ideas on how to get him out? I shot a video, but can' t upload it for some reason.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a new problem. my bowfronts (I don' know who made it) has a built-in overflow that is "U" shaped. Water flows into the "U" then over the edges and into the main area to the drain. My yellow tang for some stupid reason jumped I there and I can't get him out, of fit a net back there! Any ideas on how to get him out? I shot a video, but can' t upload it for some reason.
R2R doesnt allow video uploads. You'll have to upload it to youtube then share it here. Can you fit you hands in the overflow?

OP
OP
jrlafrance

jrlafrance

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer, not even 8 hours in the overflow and he died. I can only imagine due to lack is water flow, he was healthy otherwise.

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bummer, not even 8 hours in the overflow and he died. I can only imagine due to lack is water flow, he was healthy otherwise.
Could have been a heart attack too. Might need to work on getting a cover for the tank, so nothing else jumps.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could have been a heart attack too. Might need to work on getting a cover for the tank, so nothing else jumps.

+1 If there's any way to get in (or jump out of) someplace, fish will usually find it. Murphy's Law at work. ;Meh

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 22.8%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back