Fish dying

Shalex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 30g nano tank. All of my fish are dying exepct one fish for some reason, the longnose hawk fish. I had a coral beauty, a saddle back. I added in the hawk fish everything was fine, the coral beauty died and i did my tests i had 0-.24 ammona,8.0 High range PH,0 nitrite and nitrate. So i waited a couple of days because maybe he had a dieases so i examine and i notice my saddle back had flukes so i fresh water dipped him. There was some flukes on him he died the next day. The hawkfish was moving as normally he moved around and hung on rocks like normal. So i waited a week same test results and i add a naked clown and a wymoing white and they die 2 days after they were acting normal hanging with eachother they just died no sign of disease n flukes or ick so i dont know what to do any ideas and the hawkfish is the only fish alive..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I have a 30g nano tank. All of my fish are dying exepct one fish for some reason, the longnose hawk fish. I had a coral beauty, a saddle back. I added in the hawk fish everything was fine, the coral beauty died and i did my tests i had 0-.24 ammona,8.0 High range PH,0 nitrite and nitrate. So i waited a couple of days because maybe he had a dieases so i examine and i notice my saddle back had flukes so i fresh water dipped him. There was some flukes on him he died the next day. The hawkfish was moving as normally he moved around and hung on rocks like normal. So i waited a week same test results and i add a naked clown and a wymoing white and they die 2 days after they were acting normal hanging with eachother they just died no sign of disease n flukes or ick so i dont know what to do any ideas and the hawkfish is the only fish alive..
set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time.
Review the video and see who it may be

Last edited:

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you get an opportunity and there is another fish in with hawk, set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a monster at feeding time. This hawk is know to battle with tankmates, cause damage and eat every ornamental shrimp in the tank.
Review the video and see what the hawk is up to
I agree. Ive had similar experience in the past. Shame about the loss. Also avoid reef Lobsters they do the same but worse.

OP
OP
S

Shalex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When you get an opportunity and there is another fish in with hawk, set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a monster at feeding time. This hawk is know to battle with tankmates, cause damage and eat every ornamental shrimp in the tank.
Review the video and see what the hawk is up to
Ok i will do this tomorrow!

OP
OP
S

Shalex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How so? What was the flow throughout the tank?
i have corals a couple hard ones which need a decent amount of water flow i was researching too much water flow can stress out a fish and i have two water pumps. I am thinking about going to my LFS to see what there water pumps they have like there GPH.

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have corals a couple hard ones which need a decent amount of water flow i was researching too much water flow can stress out a fish and i have two water pumps. I am thinking about going to my LFS to see what there water pumps they have like there GPH.
Ok. Are there any areas of the tank that have lower flow? My clowns just stay out of the high flow areas unless they are playing. Idk about the other fish.

OP
OP
S

Shalex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. Are there any areas of the tank that have lower flow? My clowns just stay out of the high flow areas unless they are playing. Idk about the other fish.
Theres less water flower on the right side but they are small designer clowns, the ones that died recently. They stayed near the anemone that is near the water pump, in the middle of the tank.

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Theres less water flower on the right side but they are small designer clowns, the ones that died recently. They stayed near the anemone that is near the water pump, in the middle of the tank.
Yeah I could see that being a problem if they were really small. Mine are about 2"- 2 1/2". Also they likely wouldn't be able to defend against the hawkfish either if that ends up being the culprit.

OP
OP
S

Shalex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I could see that being a problem if they were really small. Mine are about 2"- 2 1/2". Also they likely wouldn't be able to defend against the hawkfish either if that ends up being the culprit.
Alright, I removed my water pumped id say about 30 minutes ago im going to see about 3pm if my corals will do good with just one water pump, worst case senerio i will ahft to get bigger clowns/fish in general

OP
OP
S

Shalex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And when i did add that water pump about two days later all my fish just dyed, the coral beauty kept getting ick and the hawkfish minded his own business he hung out of the nori clips and just sat and swam.

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright, I removed my water pumped id say about 30 minutes ago im going to see about 3pm if my corals will do good with just one water pump, worst case senerio i will ahft to get bigger clowns/fish in general
What corals do you have? That might help determine if you can get away with less flow.

Renaissance corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And when i did add that water pump about two days later all my fish just dyed, the coral beauty kept getting ick and the hawkfish minded his own business he hung out of the nori clips and just sat and swam.
Interesting. Side note hawk fish tend to either like higher flow or just aren't bothered by it.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back