Fish eating cyano will this hurt them ?

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My foxface and two of my tangs eat the red cyano i have in my 135g. I dont have much just patchs on the sand. And since last time using the chemicure hurt alot of sps, i decided to leave it alone.

But i noticed my fish eat it. They go right to the sand bed and scoop it up and spit the sand out.

I dont starve my fish. They get 3-4 feedings a day of omega one marine flakes and also half of a seaweed paper for making sushi.. But of course fish are pigs. They can eat 24.7. I have no algae in my tank to speak of so i guess they just eat the cyano.

Is this going to hurt em ?

Billldg

My Gem Tang Is Watching You
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't hurt them at all. The fish you listed will graze all day. I wish my fish ate my cyano, LOL!!! In all likelihood, they are spitting out the cyano as well, its just broken up so you can't see it.

OP
OP
S

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea im sitting here watching my foxface go to town on it. Hes eating it off the bottom of the glass and sand. In fact i moticed i have less cyano today than yesturday lol

OP
OP
S

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Sailfin eats it too.. the peice im pointing at in the pic.. He ate right after i snapped the pic. Lol

20200927_191333.jpg
20200927_191649.jpg

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got some good fish there and iv never seen anything hurt by saltwater cyno by eating it now freshwater thats a diffrent story as it depends on the type and you will never ever ever ever be rid of cyanobacteria you can only get it to the point you can not see it more then likly your breathing the stuff in right now as anywhere there is nutrients and moister it lives even in clouds and it mutates very fast to colonize new enviroments it is bacteria after all I stay away from all the med cures for anything except diseases that cant be treated otherwise as most of the time it foes more harm then good and right after what you were treating for comes right back as you treated the symptoms not the cause

OP
OP
S

SaltISlife

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your fish are telling you that they don't want to eat those nasty flakes anymore. They need some real food.

They get mysis emerald entrea and other stuff every now and then. I also feed half a paper sheet of seaweed a day one of those full sheets from the grocery store. Garuntee i feed my fish more and better than most people lol. My fish are fat and ive been complimented on that alot.

They must just like the cyano lol

Here isa pic of most of my fish all concentrated in my tank. Do you see any unhealthy looking fish :)
20200922_132801.jpg

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They get mysis emerald entrea and other stuff every now and then. I also feed half a paper sheet of seaweed a day one of those full sheets from the grocery store. Garuntee i feed my fish more and better than most people lol. My fish are fat and ive been complimented on that alot.

They must just like the cyano lol

Here isa pic of most of my fish all concentrated in my tank. Do you see any unhealthy looking fish :)
20200922_132801.jpg
beautiful fish!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It should not and lucky you as you have cyano control
I would have their heads checked LOL as this is a first I’ve heard as long as I’ve been in the hobby

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You got some good fish there and iv never seen anything hurt by saltwater cyno by eating it now freshwater thats a diffrent story as it depends on the type and you will never ever ever ever be rid of cyanobacteria you can only get it to the point you can not see it more then likly your breathing the stuff in right now as anywhere there is nutrients and moister it lives even in clouds and it mutates very fast to colonize new enviroments it is bacteria after all I stay away from all the med cures for anything except diseases that cant be treated otherwise as most of the time it foes more harm then good and right after what you were treating for comes right back as you treated the symptoms not the cause

Somehow you made a paragraph into less than a sentence! Talent! haha

Back