Fish Eating Poop

Clownfish_Boy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else here have a fish that eats turds ? Twice I have seen the coral beauty eat a piece of turd ! I have never seen this happen before, normally when a fish mistakenly tries to eat a turd it will realiz that it is not food and spit it back out. Not this Coral Beauty, he swallows the confounded things !

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not abnormal and they usually spit it out. This is one effective way corals are fed as it is distrubuted throughout tank. If the poop has algae in it, coral beauty may retain what is undigested- Ewww, but nature.

ClownWrangler

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone else here have a fish that eats turds ? Twice I have seen the coral beauty eat a piece of turd ! I have never seen this happen before, normally when a fish mistakenly tries to eat a turd it will realiz that it is not food and spit it back out. Not this Coral Beauty, he swallows the confounded things !
I've have goldfish in a bare bottom tank that is always perfectly clean without any vacuming. They just eat their poop and recycle it again and again until there is no waste left except what eventually disintegrates and ends up in the filter. I have some clown fish and a flame angel pair in 3, 10 gal bare bottom QT tanks waiting for a new home to be set up and never see any poop in spite of feeding them every day. I think some fish are just really efficient at processing and recycling food.

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My desjardini tang(crop duster)poops so much that every fish tastes it and spits it back out.
CCFD797E-72FE-41FD-9A33-9137A65B75BD.jpeg

MickeyR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my tang poops its a party and then everyone gets hung over and pukes it back out, gross but funny every time the kids or friends are over and they see it in action

HB AL

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some fish love others fish poop and that can't be changed. Also if fish are underfed they will eat what they can and fish poop would be on the menu but in that instance they are just really hungry and most of those times they will spit it out when they figure out it was a turd and not food.

davidcalgary29

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is like a confessional thread! I watched, amazed, this morning as one of my orchid dottybacks pooped directly in front of my diamond goby, which immediately swam over and ate the poop. No spitting. It was both fascinating and gross. :)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 108 87.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.4%
Back