Fish eating surface scum?

Reevak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I noticed yesterday that there was a film developing on the surface of the tank and when I looked it up I found that it was called surface scum. I’m new to the hobby so I didn’t know about this beforehand and I was wondering what I should do about this. I noticed my clownfish pecking at it every now and then and 2 days before I first saw the surface scum I added API Quick Start to help with a slight nitrite problem. I don’t know if that caused it or if it was bound to happen anyways or if this is dangerous to my fish. No signs of disease or lethargy on my fish as far as I can tell, and a lot of surface bubbles are appearing thanks to my filter creating small bubbles constantly (getting blown underwater by the water pouring in).
This was kind of a lot and it may not all be related but i wanted to give all the info I could so I could get the best advice on what I should do. Any input is appreciated, as well as questions.

Attachments

• IMG_0602.MOV
    41.7 MB

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Surface film is usually proteins / other things building up due to little surface agitation and no protein skimmer. I’d recommend a water change and to add another wave maker pointed up to help create that surface agitation and not allowing it to build up

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more likely the fish are trying to breath. The surface slick indicates no oxygen entering the water. As mentioned above, you need to agitate the surface

OP
OP
Reevak

Reevak

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
more likely the fish are trying to breath. The surface slick indicates no oxygen entering the water. As mentioned above, you need to agitate the surface
I thought fish who did that would stay near the surface more trying to breathe so I wasn’t sure. He only goes to peck at it once in a while, like when I come near and open the hood or mess with the light. He usually just swims around without touching the surface when I watch him from a distance (and during the night he slept near the bottom/middle but hid he wanted to go up I wouldn’t have seen it). Also the filter makes a lot of bubbles under the water so I would hope that helped with oxygenating it

I appreciate the responses and have done a 40% ish water change and used a cup to get much of the surface water/oil/whatever it is so it’s looking better now. I’ll get the thing to disturb the water surface soon. Thanks!

(still appreciate any further input as well)

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 92 87.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back