Fish feeding and over feeding

Mr.Weathers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We recently discovered a huge outbreak of digitate hydroids and have already been battling vermitides. After watching some videos I think our main problem was over feeding that lead to pests overpopulating. We have went from flakes being blown around in the tank 10-15 min after feeding to trying to get all the food gone within 5min. We have a 125gal 6ft. With a big sump/fuge. Our big fish our mag foxface, blue hippo, yellow tang, sailfin, and a powder brown then a decent some of smaller fish ranging from Toby puffer to coral beauty nemos and gobbies. We run filter socks and a oversized skimmer. If anyone could share some videos of feeding with similar setups I’d be extremely grateful! I don’t want to starve my fish. I only feed once a day but it was a big amount and they never acted as hungry as they are now after 2 days of this cut down. There is still food not getting eaten but our flakes seem to be so small idk if they even notice them.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The idea is to starve the droids and soon they vanish. Aim water flow towards them, Not at them and they will not have an opportunity to get food. They favor brine shrimp and other frozen foods. . . Rarely flakes.

OP
OP
Mr.Weathers

Mr.Weathers

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply’s we do offer nori every other day but our fish seem to love flakes. We use formula one and prime reef flakes. I will try to direct flow more towards the hydroids. Either way we are feeding much less I really hope it will kill them off. They are only bothering my zoas for now even though they are everywhere.

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO frozen food is far superior to flake/pellet/etc, and can be utilized by other things like corals better.

I feed a fraction of a frozen cube in the morning, then I have a Avast Plank on a Apex timer that dispenses a tiny amount of food every 2 hours (I have anthias) and it works great. Unlimited Nori on a seaweed clip. When it looked like too much food, I just shortened the timer interval until I had it dialed in.

The more they eat, the better. But if you notice leftovers in the tank then its too much food going in.

xxkenny90xx

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMO frozen food is far superior to flake/pellet/etc, and can be utilized by other things like corals better.

I feed a fraction of a frozen cube in the morning, then I have a Avast Plank on a Apex timer that dispenses a tiny amount of food every 2 hours (I have anthias) and it works great. Unlimited Nori on a seaweed clip. When it looked like too much food, I just shortened the timer interval until I had it dialed in.

The more they eat, the better. But if you notice leftovers in the tank then its too much food going in.
Frozen food should be better but those pet store cubes really aren't great quality and I'm sure have been thawed and refrozen numerous times. Best to get seafood that is sold for human consumption imo

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been very happy using NLS pellets in an autofeeder set to feed very small amounts 6, 8 or 10 times a day. I don'tknow what your setup is but I'll set an autofeeder 8", 12" above the water so the pellets sink faster. I've also setup "feeding tubes" which drop pellets into the return pump intake which spreads the pellets throughout the tank.

maugustine

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We just switched to rod’s frozen.. per this site and many recommendations from the community
.. it has made such a different.. even the corals are happier!!
i ordered it online and it got here in 2 days if your lfs doesn’t have it.. it’s fabulous.. we also are working on getting measures amounts each feeding so we can tell exactly how much they need without creating waste which was spiking our nitrates and causing over algae growth!
not an expert but this really did help

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
We just switched to rod’s frozen.. per this site and many recommendations from the community
.. it has made such a different.. even the corals are happier!!
i ordered it online and it got here in 2 days if your lfs doesn’t have it.. it’s fabulous.. we also are working on getting measures amounts each feeding so we can tell exactly how much they need without creating waste which was spiking our nitrates and causing over algae growth!
not an expert but this really did help
Good stuff and a variety of formulas

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This + rods carnivour. Fish only. Also feeding cheap marine cuisine cubes. Lol.
The rods is the supierior but the roe is easy.
I usually feed 2 or 3 times before i go to work. No more than 3 minutes worth of food.
D

Attachments

• roe_main_grande.png
    roe_main_grande.png
    346.1 KB · Views: 27

Unregistered1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The idea is to starve the droids and soon they vanish. Aim water flow towards them, Not at them and they will not have an opportunity to get food. They favor brine shrimp and other frozen foods. . . Rarely flakes.
Thats good to know

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 14 31.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 20.5%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 9.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 11.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.3%
Back